2000 PSD waterpump - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Messi, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 1384 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

2000 PSD waterpump

Anyone out ou there replaced one of these bad boys? Mine seems to be slinging juice, and I was going to have a whirl at swapping it out this weekend. I've turned wrenches for quite a few years, but though I could ask you folks just how much of a treat I was in for.

Much thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 AM

I haven't swapped one myself ( but I'm due, mines seeping a bit too) My mechanic buddy walked me through it and said it wasn't a "mindbender" about an hour labor, mostly getting the old hardware off. I could be wrong. I hope someone would correct me if I was?:shrug:
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:00 PM

didnt i put something up in another thread just like this
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:39 PM

Well, I don't know first hand, but I have heard that it's quite a job because of its location. Before the truck was mine we just had it replaced at a mechanic. I think you may have to pull the radiator and some other things before you can get it out. Just a thought.:shrug:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:09 PM

its not any worse than a gasser... replace the t-stat and sheet metal t-stat housing while your at it... you will be horrified as to how rusty it will be (mine rusted through and caused a leak)... either buy a ford fan clutch wrench or you will have to improvise as to how your going to get the fan off (a chisel or pipe wrench and there are a few others i have heard off).. but advance auto here in town has the correct wrech (which is much easier then rigging up something), get the diesel coolant additive from ford to put back in it after your done

its not bad
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00turboPSD
I think you may have to pull the radiator and some other things before you can get it out.
thats not necessary... the fan shroud is all, and thats no biggie
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 AM

nope just the shroud and the fan thats it
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Is there a good place and a bad place to buy the water pump? I have heard of recurring waterpump problems by a powerstroke owner. He kept getting bad parts. He finally got a good one when he went to the parts place and checked everyone until he found one that he liked. Now no problems for I think 80k.
Will a manual such as haynes walk me through this? Thanks.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM

well i don't know about good or bad but a ford pump at the local dealer where i live was 1 dollar cheaper than the reman available at autozone... when they told me that i about passed out in shock that the dealer was cheaper... mine has done well so far

i don't know about better but if i can get a ford part for about the same money as the discount parts houses i will buy ford... but thats just my preference

a better (and cheaper) manual is the ford service cd... they can be found on ebay (bootleg versions for around $10-$20)... the ford cd with show you step by step and has pictures of the actual motor/truck using ford approved procedures where as the haynes can be general info and are vage sometimes
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:30 AM

im a mechanic at a busy shop and im doing one right now. book time is only 2.2 hours which means any tech could do it in about 2. it is easier to access everything if you pull the radiator. with the fan shroud and radiator out of the way it makes using the fan clutch tool a little better. then you pull the pulley, the small bypass hose, and the surrpunding bolts. replace torque the new bolts to 15ft lbs and reverse your proceedure. as for brand of pump since i have to warranty and stand behind what i do on customers cars i will only use AIRTEX or MOTORCRAFT. and dont forget the additive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode