No power - dazd n confused - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by seeker1056, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 967 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

No power - dazd n confused

Ok so I put a 93 cumins 5.9 in my 91 Ford F350 4x4.

The motor came from a runnin drivin dodge truck that we all thought the trans was outa cuz it would hardly move itself. Motor hada rebuilt pump n injectors 25,000 ago.

So now that we have the Ford truck runnin with this 5.9 cummins motor, it will hardly drag itself around. So its definitely the motor and fuel system.

It starts clic of the key, no misses, and once warm will drive around.

During the build I also put twin turbos on it and many guages.

So best performance with the stock 93 5.9 cummins motor n twins was 10 lbs boost in 1,2,3 gears - C6 auto There is no smoke at all ever, no real power, and there should be 50 + psi boost, so that says no fuel.

The lift pump has 7 lbs pressure. New fuel filter.

So today I figure sure - fuel pump settings. I turn the smoke screw in 2 full turns, adjust the high idle, turn the star wheel down a 1/2 turn and file the nylon washer .065, and turn the diaghram/fuel pin 1/4 turn for best delivery.

After the fuel mods to the pump, the truck is now more lazy, has only 6 lbs boost in 1,2 gear, and gets to 10 in 3rd. In other words much worse. Still zero smoke.

So I am totally lost. Power/boost should not have went down. And there should be smoke after the mods/adjustments.

Anybody got any thoughts or suggestions?

I have a set of POD's but have not installed em yet till I figure out the fuel/power issues.

I was going to set the timing today as I bought the guage, but can not get at two of the bolts on th back of the pump,-how do i get to the bolts? Also the timing pin is siezed - how do i fix/unsieze the timing pin without damaging it? Can it be turned, tapped, heated? without damaging the timing pin?

Thanx in advance all, for your time and help
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:25 AM

soak the pin with blaster and see if that helps,
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:27 AM

could be somthin wrong with the fuel bock, but then again the fuel cut off solinoid may not be opening all the way but u are going to have some turbo lag with those twins u might need bigger injectors to support those twins
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 AM

Garage
Should have 18-24psi at idle, 28-36 at 2000 rpm with no load. If you haven't, I'd replace the lift pump. Spring or diaphram may be shot. Maybe even one for a P-pumped 12v. Flows more fuel, and a better pump. Can be had from a Case-IH dealer for ~$100, including the 2 gaskets.

I'm not up on the VE pump settings, so I can't help there, sorry. I don't know if even the PODs will be big enough for twins. A bigger single, but maybe not the twins. A small set of PDR twins (HX35/HT3B) is for trucks running 450-550hp. BD Super B twins, up to 575hp.

I don't think you are there yet.

Is that C6 built up? IIRC, they don't have a locking torque convertor. That will really hurt trying to load the engine to build boost. A built 47RH would be a better choice. Don't even need the PCM. Just use to switches on the dash to control the lockup and O/D.

On the timing, don't use the pin. They aren't always in the right spot. Use the drop valve method to find true TDC.

First, get the engine in roughly TDC with the rocker arms (both loose on #1). Put a mark on the timing case cover with a white paint marker. Loosen a jamb nut on either valve on the #1 cylinder. Turn the screw in about 5 turns, and lock the screw. Carefully rotate the engine one way 'til you contact the piston, and mark a line on the balancer in line with the mark on the case. Then rotate the engine the other way til you touch the piston, and mark another line on the balancer in line with the one on the case. Now, draw a line directly in the middle of the 2 marks. That center line is TDC #1 compression.

DON'T FORGET TO BACK THE ADJUSTING SCREW BACK TO ITS CORRECT PLACE TO PREVENT ENGINE DAMAGE!

Sounds a bit intimidating at first, but not a problem. Just turn the engine slowly. Did that on mine.

IIRC, Snap-on has a special wrench for the other pump bolts.

www.snapon.com Type "cummins" into the search box.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Bouncer

You fuel pressure is way too low. Are you sure there are no restrictions from the tank to the lift pump that could prevent it from getting full flow? If no restrictions then by all means change that lift pump first. Although the lift pump went out on my old 1st Gen and the VE had no problems drawing fuel from the tank and had little performance loss. That's why I am wondering about a fuel line restriction.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 04:34 AM

like they said check the lines or replace them, its probably a clog. As far as spooling the twins, what turbos are you using? If you have a stocker on top, that won't spool any slower than normal, and getting the big one lit will be the only issue, depending on what size it is.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode