Whats wrong with my truck??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DAM RAM, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1119 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Whats wrong with my truck???

89 non intercooled turbo cummins.

Took it out today for the first time since i bought it.

I had to just about put my foot through the floor boards to hit 60 mph.

Felt like it was being held back or like a govener on it.
It has 3.07 gears in it so i know it's not reving to high.

It has plenty of nut till i get to speed. when i let out of it, it slows down just as fast as i lift my foot.

Where do i look???
Wtf am i missing here???

Sorry just frustrated,,,,,

Thanks,
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 01:20 PM

Ebrake slightly on?....if it has plenty of power ... my guess would be somethings holding it back such as an ebrake or a brake caliper hanging up slightly enough to cause that...if the motor is sluggish then i dont know...someone will surely chime in.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 03:29 PM

does it have an exhaust brake?

2007.5 DODGE 6.7 1-TON 6-speed stock for now. B&W turnover ball.
1994 DODGE 5.9 3/4 TON AUTO, DD4 injectors,191 DV's, 0 plate,3K GSK,Timing at 16.5, Volant air intake, Straight pipe 4", BD tranny.
1999 VW jetta TDI 5-speed 50 M.P.G. +
2006 Jayco Talon 5th wheel toyhauler 36'
1969 Chevy stepside still stock but not for long

THE PULLER 1977 CHEVY STEPSIDE
468 BIG BLOCK ALUMINUM RODS,PISTONS,HEADS,PROFAB T-CASE.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

None of the above,,,

I have been doing some research and have found that the pumps untouched are governed to about 2500 rpms.
I think that might be my problem as well as the linkage from the pump to the throttle assenbly was way out of adjustment and had broken ends.( plastic )

So the new linkage assembly is on order through dodge and i will attempt to " tune " the pump as well as the 16cm turbine houseing install.
That should wake this thing uphopefully.

I'll post how it all works out when done.

Kris
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 06:17 AM

hey man...you know what....i have the same problem....i have that same 3 speed as you and i was pretty much pinned to the floor going about 67 mph... and i can figure out why....i think it is because the tranny shifts into 3rd around 35-40mph. (if you know anything else id greatly appreciate it) but after 3rd gear around 50, i feel like im about to push the throttle pedal through the floor..........i get decent mpg but the engine is screaming when im goin down the highway.....:shrug:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 AM
tearer upper

had a 93 on the farm, that the throttle pedal bracket broke out around the bolts on the firewall, and had no uuuummmmpppphhhh at all till the big washers got put on.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 04:28 AM

Guy's check your throttle linkage to see if you are getting full throttle. It is a noted problem with these year trucks. Also if your a auto truck make sure your TV cable isn't stoping full throttle also.

My truck has 3:07's I can run 88 MPH in 3rd before defuel. The only mods to the fuel system is a turned fuel pin. All the caps are on my pump.

It will sound like its screaming at any speed above 55 MPH. You need a OD trans. My 518 and 3:07's turns 1650 RPM at 60 MPH. Your turning real close to 2000 RPM at 60. I'll lock out OD and see what your RPM is at different speeds and let you know.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 02:56 PM

I did a speed run in 3rd this morning. At 60 MPH your turning around 2100. At 70 MPH your looking at 2400 RPM. I didn't push it any higher. But with the high idle on your trucks supposed to be set at 2750 that will give you an idea of what speeds to RPM you are using.

High idle means full throttle no load RPM. That is why I said to check your throttle linkage for full travel. If it is misadjusted/bent/hooked up wrong and so on. You might not be getting full use of the RPM your supposed to have.

Also how loose of a stock converter you have can change the RPM for a given speed to. Our trucks were equipted with loose converters from the factory. If yours is one of the real "loose" ones it would take higher RPM to maintain a given speed.

If you don't have tach's in your trucks you need to get a cheap optical tach to check the high idle speed.

93 W350 w/duals, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, HX40/16, G56 /SBC Con-OFE, 307's axles' 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode