Newbie sliding fuel plate and afc housing - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by crosstie69, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 5280 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Newbie sliding fuel plate and afc housing

Hello all,

New to the forum but have been doing a bunch of reading and trying to figure out what to do with my 97 2500. I think I will slide the plate forward and the afc housing forward. Then play with the afc adustment a bit.

I was just wondering how much of a difference this would actually make?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Bouncer

It will most definitely make a difference, although not as dramatic as changing out plates, injectors, etc.

If you could take a minute to fill out your signature so we know exactly what you have and what you have done will help us a lot in helping you.

Since it was not mentioned I will go through the usual. You really need gauges (Boost, EGT, and Tranny Temp if auto) before adding anymore fuel. Also I would start with a free flowing intake and exhaust. Also before you even start the truck again you need to read about the KDP if it has not been done.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 AM

lister to Bouncer. sliding the plate and housing will give you a noticeable amount, not huge though, but definately a good start,
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
TDG Mafia Member #56

I also agree with Bouncer, get yourself some gauges. It is cheap insurance. If you have any weak components in the driveline you will find them once you slide the afc housing and fuel plate ahead. So be careful after you first do it if you haven't drove one before so you don't hurt your truck.

2005 Dodge 3500 CC LB 5.9 48RE Smarty 5" Silverline Exhaust AFE Stage 2 305/70/17 Nitto Grapplers Tinted Windows
Putco light bar
1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 cummins 47RH with Goerend parts assembled by Gilmore Performance 180 pump built by Smokem 12pt cage Ford 9" with spool 35 spline moser axles pro gears Quick Time DOT drag slicks tilt front end soon to get paint and more air.
1995 F-350 Crew Cab soon to be 6 door DRW Hauler project: 5.9 conversion in progress ZF5 speed destroked adaptor plate King pin D60 3.55 gears

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Just how much will just the sliding of the plate get me w/out actually grinding on it. I plan on getting a pretty decent curve on it [no #0 plates for me, id like to keep my driveline in one piece for now] eventually. But ive got the intake /exhaust covered and will do the KDP Tab when i do the plate. Ill also tighten the gov springa a little.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about it if you're not doing any towing or driving hard. My truck, before the trans swap had 370's, stock plate full fwd, and the pump plug on a stock trans with 50,000 on it (bought it this way) and it was just fine when I pulled it out. If you use your brain and drive half way sensible it will last a good while.
Or maybe I was just really lucky.
-R.J.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 PM

I've got the 5 speed, so I dont have quite the worries the fellas running slushboxes do, but i dont wanna burn up my clutch if i go to pull something, i do tow often enough to need the diesel. And whats this about just grinding the nipple off of the fuel plate? just grind it like a #0 plate but only on the end? before you slide it and all..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 AM

Curves in the plate control fueling, a bump out will defuel. Thats why the only shape you really want to grind is a #0 (flat face). The others are too intricate to do with a grinder and do right. If you grind that Nub,nipple what ever off the bottom and have a flat plate, the plate won't defuel at all.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 AM

hell its a cummins you dont really need gauges if your ganna make it go fast its ganna get hot and your ganna break ****. it is a good idea to have them but i would spend money on the motor first it was me injectors will help alot and delivery valves cam plate and a biger turbo and the thing will rock on!!! i would get gauges before you reach that point tho. just messing with the afc you will be fine and a set of injectors anymore i would wanna know how hot the tran getting if its a 5 speed just leter eat your clutch will slip before anything eles gives!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 11:00 AM

hell its a cummins you dont really need gauges if your ganna make it go fast its ganna get hot and your ganna break $#!**. it is a good idea to have them but i would spend money on the motor first it was me injectors will help alot and delivery valves cam plate and a biger turbo and the thing will rock on!!! i would get gauges before you reach that point tho. just messing with the afc you will be fine and a set of injectors anymore i would wanna know how hot the tran getting if its a 5 speed just leter eat your clutch will slip before anything eles gives!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode