Might be building a Sled Puller!?!?! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Diamond3Max, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 939 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Might be building a Sled Puller!?!?!

My dad has a 97 12v single cab 4x4 5spd. Its got 270K on the clock. He might be wanting to get rid of it here in a few months. I went to my first sled pull this weekend to watch and might have got bitten by the bug.

I want it to be street legal go to some pulls and maybe make a few trips to the drag strip.

Well start with the tranny, If I decide to take it to the track some Ill probably go ahead and swap in an auto, fully built of course. If I decide to dedicate it to sled pulling Ill just leave the 5spd and get a big double disk.

Im looking for 650-700hpon #2. A little bottle for the track, #2 only for the sled pulls.

Im thinking traction bars with removeable blocks for when I go to the race track.

As far as the motor:
4k GSK w/ HD Springs
Laser Cut DV's
F1 Hot Rod 370's
#0 plate
Helix 2 Cam
18-20* Timing
oversized lines .093's maybe
AFC moded
Head Studs
O-Rings
Silver Bullet Turbo

Tranny:
SBC Dual Disk 4200#

Fill in what I left out??

Thanks in advance for the help.

I want to do alot of the work myself. I know I will have to have the truck timed by someone else but I want to do the GSK, valve springs, injectors, etc on my own.

Thanks
Jamie

2003 GMC LB7 DMax/Alli, 4" Exhaust w/ Muffler, 6" Rolled Edge Tip, AFE Drop-in Filter, 16x9 Moto Metal 951's, 285 BFG A/T, Debaged, Full Tint Job, Denali Grill, B&W TurnoverBall, 7" In-Dash DVD Toushscreen, Clear Headlights

Wreck' em Tech

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #21

FOR SALE $23,500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM

I'd spend a little more time and money tuning the pump and down size the Dv's a bit. That will make it a lot more streetable. Pull the pump and have it put on a bench (test stand) and have the flow rate turned up. You can make the power you want without running the big DV's.

Timing a truck isn't hard. And honestly you'll want to learn how to do it on your own. Truck set up and driver preference, means you'll want to try lots of different timing combinations to find the one that works best for you. I'd also consider a set of DDP stage 4 injectors those seem to be popular in the 12v crowd.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Is it street legal or street driven? If its just street legal then I vote to keep the manual, but if you plan on driving it on the street the auto and some smaller dv's will make it more enjoyable.

DDP's stage 4s are good and lots of big trucks run them. Also you should get that pump bench flowed or get an aftermarket one. But it sounds like a good list to me.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Putting a 215hp pump on a flow bench is a waste of money, and stay away from 155* injectors.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Smokem,

Would you recommend a DDP4 injector? ( are don's 155* or the DDP's 155* I dont know the difference)

With the mods I listed, (no bottle) and DDP4's or something similar, what kind of power to the ground am I looking at. I have read a few of your tech articles on here and with those I think I could the majortiy of the pump work myself.

Thanks for the help,
Jamie

Let me know what else I would need to reach 650-700 hp!!

What are the common singles that people run to sled pull??

2003 GMC LB7 DMax/Alli, 4" Exhaust w/ Muffler, 6" Rolled Edge Tip, AFE Drop-in Filter, 16x9 Moto Metal 951's, 285 BFG A/T, Debaged, Full Tint Job, Denali Grill, B&W TurnoverBall, 7" In-Dash DVD Toushscreen, Clear Headlights

Wreck' em Tech

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #21

FOR SALE $23,500
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 PM

EDMed 145* nozzle no edge filters with an interior hone, take some pressure off the P7100, and run an S400 with the correct wheels.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Official TDG Doctor

If you do some head work and o-ring it, then you could probably run some better timing the 18-20, buddy runs 21* w/ 191s and 125 sticks and starwheel all the way in, on stock turbo and all stock heads and what not. Thats his daily driver...if that helps...

Nathaniel

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode