Injector Install, AFC mods - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by PhilipR, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1510 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilipR
Injector Install, AFC mods

This weekend I am hoping to get my 215 injectors installed in my truck. I printed off the instructions that are posted in the forum but does anyone have any other little tips or tricks for me. As for the AFC Mods.....I have taken mine off and I gound the cylinder part down some so it will open up fully but I have been reading on here that I should grind the taper on the foot flat. I can do that but when i do where should I adjust the smoke screw? Right now I have it almost all the way in IIRC so that it gets more fuel down low. I set the star wheel with the air compressor so it moves the foot back halfway at 20psi and it's full travel at 40psi.....should I lower that a bit since 40 psi is the max boost I have seen. I'm not gonna do much else until i can afford to get a new converter and VB then I'll get a bigger turbo and some DV's and maybe 370's. My goal is 500hp and 1000ftlbs for my DD Cummins.

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 AM

I'm not sure what the instructions said but I used a lugnut and threaded it into the longest bolt i could find w/ the right threads. Then I used another really big nut as a slider and went to town. Worked really well. You can also thread the lugnut on and pry it up but I didn't like how it pulled to the side.

Switch the washers in the afc and then back the preload screw (not the starwheel) all the way out. You can leave it in some but I've got enough smoke as it is so I backed it out. Grind the foot to because the back of the arm really doesn't interfere that much so you don't get much by grinding it. Then I'd adjust the starwheel to get full fuel around 30psi. The starwheel and preload screws are you preference but to much fuel and you'll drown out the fire.

Save the money on dv's and have mikey mill yours. Then use the money you saved and get some ddp injectors. You'll get more smoke from mikey (mrector) dv's but less from the ddp's and the spray angle is correct so they will work better.

You should also be on the look out for a mack (2095) plug to get more rack travel. You have to slide the pump back a little to install it but I heard it helps a lot :Thumbup:

Thats just my :2cents though
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks.....I'll have to do the DV's and bigger injectors when I get the money to upgrade the trans. I have already swapped the washers on the AFC so that is done but I'll grind the foot and adjust the smoke screw and star wheel while everything is off an out of the way.

I do have another question though. My injector install kit came with 3 different washer thicknesses: .020, .060, .090. Which should I use?

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM

Stock thickness headgasket, right? Where are you planning on setting your timing? For stock HG, 215 injectors, and say 16* timing I'd probably use the .090" :shrug: but thats just a guess. If you run more timing, 370's, or a thicker HG then you'd use the thinner ones accordingly.

Any one else know?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM

Use the 0.020" washers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah everything else ont he motor is stock...stock HG, stock timing for now.....I'm gonna get it set at 16* sometime here. So it looks like I use the .020's or atleast measure the factory ones and use that size.

-Phil-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
riding in the dirty dozen

ok ok....would someone please give me links or just right up a novel on afc mods and getting this all sorted out and stuff it would really be a big help and if anyone is up to the challenge of actually typin this stuff out PM me cuz i wont remeber to check the fourm lol

1998 Dodge cummins 12v, #10 plate and afc FF, BHAF, Isspro guges, homemade boost elbow,tabbed kdp
coming soon stacks,tires:Thumbup:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 AM

wow that is way over my head.Now i Have a headache and a truck that is a pig

They call me SPANKY Because when I was little I was always getting my a** beat now that I'm older I like it! 94 dodge 3500 cummins 213k miles stock drive it like i rented it
  1. TDG DUALLY CLUB #47
  2. KDP tabed
  3. carter LP
  4. Wg wired shut
  5. silancer ring -gone
  6. BHAF-instaled
  7. GUAGES -next to do
  8. 518A TRANS -still works
  9. FUEL PLATE-stock
67 buick skylark convertable on going basket case[HTML]IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME BUT NOBODYELSE WANTED THE JOB [/HTML]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 AM

Definitely use the 0.20 washers. They will lower the tip of the nozzle down a little bit and keep the fuel in the bowl of the piston better. That is really big when you switch to the 370's because their spray pattern doesn't match the bowl, and to make it narrower, you have to get the tip closer. A friend of mine used to run his without a washer, however I never liked that personally.

As for keeping your eye out for a rack plug, they're easy enough to get, it'll only cost you $15 or so.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode