The Diesel Garage banner

What size Turbo for 500-600hp?

20K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  PhilipR 
#1 ·
I have a question for those more in the know than I. Right now I have an S300 62/65/14 sitting on the bench. It is rebuilt and has a new turbine wheel....ready to roll. With some reading I have done I think this might be a bit to small for my hp goals. I have the opportunity to sell this 62 to a friend that is looking for about 450-500 and I can buy a 64/71/14 for the same price I am selling the 62 for. Would the 64/71 be better for my 600hp DD goal? According to my calcs I will need 550-600hp to crack the 12 second 1/4 mile barrier. I am going to swap out my 370's for some SDX injectors here down but I need to make a decision on the turbo pretty quick so I don't lose out on the upgrade if the 64 will work better. So should I sell my 62 and buy the 64? Sell the 62 and put the money in the bank and save up for a Source compound kit and use my HX up top? I'd rather stay with the single but compounds are cool too.

#2 ·
The pro52 have made good power. Little slow comin on but they work well. I think a 64 may still be a little slow. Id more consider a 66.

#3 ·
That particular 64 I think would get you to 500. If you want a single, a Silver Bullet would get you to 650 but will lose a little spoolup on the street. The HX35/HT3B has proven capable of that much power and is relatively cheap. Are you going to spray at all?

#4 ·
Not if I don't have to. I have no problem with it if I can have a dependable DD and still get into the 12's. So far I am thinking the HX35/HT3B compounds might be the best option. If so that's fine as I can sell my 62 and just bank it towards a compound kit. The nitrous question though brings up another option though. Can I get away with a smaller charger for DD and still reach my goals?

#5 ·
I think you could make it with that 64/71/14, an external wastegate, and some spray.

#6 ·
But I am worried about DD then and it being dirty and have lag. I think am thinking the HX35/40-Ht3b route is going to be the best of both worlds.

#7 ·
I've never driven one but I've heard a lot of really good things about the 64/71s. For Example Brad Ponci made 630 or so horsepower with one on his truck, he said it spools better and makes more power than the 66/71 he tried.

IMO the SilverBullet is over-rated. I remember a thread from a while back where one was compared to an A5K and the 5K made more power, more torque, and drove better than the SB.

But like I said I've never driven one personally, I just listen.

#8 ·
The A5K was a 71mm inducer I thought? A 66 vs a 71 isn't exactly a fair comparison.

#10 ·
yeah, a silver bullet vs a modified K31 isnt quite the same.

ive also heard the 64/71 is better than the 66/71 on a 12v.

Garrett
If it spools better and makes more power I don't see why a "fair" comparison would matter.
Just a few quotes and a thread to give you something to think about:
http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53878
jlibert said:
I have no experience with the Garrett, so I can't help you there.

On my truck, the A5K spooled faster, provided lower egts, a bit higher boost, and made more peak power, as well as more power everywhere under the curve as compared to the silver bullet it replaced.

There is no good reason in my opinion to get the silver bullet unless you're trying to fit into the 2.6 class for pulling.

BUT...........
This was on a common rail-- take it fwiw.

-jp
BrettWINspeed said:
From what I've seen on trucks out my way the K31's don't like nitrous, and some of the trucks had a hard time spooling them at the line too, and they end up wiping out there tranny.

Bponci's been saying for a couple of years that a 64/71 is more than you'll ever need, I was one of the few that payed attention to that. He backed up his claims of the 64 being better than a 66 with track times. I was able to dyno a 66/71/14 and then a 64/71/14. The 64 made 29hp more and dropped egt's at least 300* on the dyno runs.

We many not comparing fuji apples to fuji apples here, sometimes a gala comes in a steals the show.
Just something to think about. ;)

#12 ·
I want run 12's.....12.00 - 12.99 anywhere in there would be great...

#13 ·
Whats your projected race weight?

#14 ·
Whatever my DD weight is...regular cab long bed 4x4...7K?

#16 ·
No aux fuel tanks or anything like that.....stock bumpers.....other than the 285/75 tires and the stacks it looks and sounds stock...well the flat black paint....but that's not a weight issue.

#18 ·
I think for discussion then 6400-6500 would be good cause my 270pd *** is gonna be in the seat.

#20 ·
Confirmed with TDG horsepower calculator, at 6500 pounds vehicle weight using 12.1 ET you need 601 RWHP and 12.9 ET you need 496 RWHP.

#21 ·
That's what i was coming up with too.....but that's in a perfect world with no spinning but it's a good idea. I think 550 will get me to reach my 12.99 goal.

#22 ·
Are you running billet shafts? The ability to do boosted launches really really helps in getting out of the hole. I was having issues with my torque management, and couldn't launch at more than 8psi. Got that sorted out, launching with the turbos lit dropped me 1.2seconds.
Sean

#23 ·
Billet input only for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.