The Diesel Garage banner

I'm looking for only 320 Pony's

7K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  floridaboy 
#1 ·
I'd like the "Guru's" opinions...

Other than "upping" the RPM (I'm going to increase the rpm to 3K), what would be the most RELIABLE way to get 320 HP from my 6BTA?

BTW: The motor is from a 97 1/2 Dodge 3500 (stock 215 HP).

#3 ·
Thanks Garret.

How about if I want to leave my timing alone?

"drill out the wastegate and divider on the stock charger"...

I've read the 12v "stickys" and haven't seen a "how to" for this. Could you explane further-or-provide a link?

Also, who is a good source GSK kits?

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Post in the vendor forum for the GSK....as for the divider there it's in the Modifications forum at the bottom of the Dodge forums.

#5 ·
GSK

Give the present springs 2 more clicks and you will be close to 3000
The timing will give you better mileage and more performance (15-16)

#7 · (Edited)
I just changed the springs in my Allison MT 654 to 3k and have the trani all buttoned up, so I'm going to stick with 3k.

The link for advancing the timing on dodgetech.org is not working...Could one of you guys point me to a "how to" thread?

***Edit: i got the link to load up!!!!*****

And while I'm asking questions...

How does one determine what plate is the best for what application?

These mods are for my "expedition" truck Casa Azul (F700 ford 4x4).

#8 ·
A #10 is an all 'round versatile plate. That alone in your 215 pump will get you right close to 325hp. Can slide it ahead for even more. Slide the AFC housing full forward at the same time. :)

#9 ·
Jack, just saw your "expedition-class vehicle" spotlight on the RV Crazy! show on the travel channel.

i must say, that is one fantastic looking vehicle - you've done some top-notch work!!!

doing the modifications to the AFC components and tweaks is the secret to 'tuning' these 12v Cummins. following the instructions posted will let you dial-in your motor perfectly to your liking.

let us know if there's anything else you need help with.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words Travis!

This re-model of Casa goes WAY beyond just the remotoring. I've re-engineered the front suspension and will be re-configuring several of the "living" systems.

Thanks again for your help you guys!!!!!!

#11 ·
just curious, but why the 320hp mark?

I'd do a 60mm hx35/40 hybrid charger, or S300G, 5x.012 145* injectors, 3k GSK, #10 or #100 plate, 16.5* timing, tuned afc, and a set of 181 DV's.

You'll get the performance, fuel mileage, and reliablity you're looking for.

#12 ·
Why 320HP?

Because I'm trying to hit the "bullseye" between power/torque, terrain (often deep sand), and my EXTREME dislike of dealing with an grenaded exotic driveline in the DEEEEEP outback of Baja (TRUST ME! I've been there!)!!!

So pardon my "greenhornnnnnesssss", please help me translate this...

I'd do a 60mm hx35/40 hybrid charger, or S300G, 5x.012 145* injectors, 3k GSK, #10 or #100 plate, 16.5* timing, tuned afc, and a set of 181 DV's
I understand the turbo mod.
I understand the 3k GSK
I understand the #10 and #100
The timing too
The afc tuning also

The injectors...i don't get
the 181 DV's...??????

From what little knowledge I've acquired...the big issue is going to be scrubbing off the heat (yes I have a pyrometer). The former motor was 8.2 liter so my radiator is going to be just fine. Worst case...And electric fan.
In my unique application...The "critical moments" or my "1/4 miles" will be either be at freeway speeds (dire pass) or "axle deep" (in a 10 ton rig!).

I was fortunate the be able to strip the IP, turbo, and liftpump from a "cash for clunkers" '96 dodge 3500 (stupid sad..with 120K miles) so I'll be travelling with ALL the essential spares...But I kinda getting obsessive about the 6BTA "expedition build".

#14 ·
the injectors 5 holes by .012" orifices. spray pattern at 145* so your not washing cylinder walls with most 155* injectors (DDP, 370s, etc) 155* injectors will HAZE, a lot.

181s or (stock) DV's because once you put larger like a 191, 022, 024, full or laser cuts, that most performance companies sell. All the largers DV's flow more fuel, yes, but ususally will just make it smokey.

#25 ·
Hey guys....

I did the first REAL test drive of Casa on Friday AND WOW! She is SO much more powerful! Here are a couple of pictures of the completed remotoring, then I explain the "issue" that I'm having.

So, I bought (and installed) a #10 throttle plate and 3K springs, I also changed the springs in the Allison to shift gears higher. 2nd through 4 shift just fine as I accelerate, but 5 gear engages (full lock up of the torque converter) RIGHT as the throttle plate makes its extreme step...

The net result being an extreme turbo boost, a hard shift, and spike of 1400f on the pyro. :wtf:gaah

I was able to lighten up on my right foot and not have the shift into 5th be so dramatic, but frankly I don't want to have to constantly deal with this issue.

should i go for a #100 plate or ?????

Thanks in advance for your input!

#26 ·
what kind of exhaust do you have and you might need to upgrade ur turbo some the truck looks like its heavy my brothers 99 welding truck with a upgraded trans and juice with attitude would get a little hot running on lvl 3 with a 4 in exhaust and bhaf we sent the stock charger to majestic turbo and got it upgraded and runs pretty good know but his truck weighed 11k so u might have the same problem he had

#27 ·
i would try a 0 plate moved back 3/8". also 1400* egt isnt to bad for a short burst......

you may wana try a bigger turbo, i have had good luck with the emusa turbos off e-bay. they make a 58mm hx40 with a non gated 18cm3 exhaust housing. that should cool off you egt's a good bit and still work good with your auto.

#29 ·
i think a 14 might be a tad tight for that amount of load all the time.... he is gona have to sacrafice a little lag time to keep it cool up top. i had a hard time keeping a 14cm3 cool even with water/meth.... but i think i have a little more fuel....LOL

#33 ·
Oh what a few shake down drives will teach you!!!

Well, I've done about half a dozen test drives since I posted.

Things I've learned...

* Just turning back the "star wheel", test driving, then turning it forwards again (but not so far) took care of my heat issue...but I can still make Casa "get up and REALLY GO!" (for an 18K lb. 4x4 truck that is).

* The trani is working exactly like it supposed to and lock up in 5th is going the peek the pyrometer...only as much as my right foot tells it too.

* The weird "growly" noises are bad drive line angles and I've got to lower my transfer-case and possibly remove my #1 water tank so that i can get the angles better. Worse case scenario...I have to do both.

* Casa Azul is a lot more F@#KING FUN to drive!

I think I am going to acquire a hybrid turbo to scrub off more heat, so can you guys explain to me what components would be advantageous (in English!). I have a 3.5" diameter exhaust brake that feeds into a 4" diameter exhaust. I figure I'd get a turbo with a 3.5" out-port and the replace my trick 45* adaptor with a 3.5" 45" elbow. Where does a person find a 3.5" dia. / 45* elbow???

Thanks in advance!

#34 ·
#35 ·
ive had good luck with the HTT hx35/hx40 hybrid, being you a auto you can run a large exhaust housing and not have to bad of lag, that would curb alot of egt issues. also may want to consider a s-300 type turbo because of the larger wheel combos you can get it in.... the only problem is there 4" outlet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.