whats the better route - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by carson, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 927 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

whats the better route

well new to the diesel tuning world here and just looking to get a plug and play unit for my 2001 7.3l. ive put on a 4" down pipe back exhaust, straight piped with a single stack, and a afe intake. gauges are going in, in the next few weeks and im now ready for some tunes. My truck is my DD/ tow rig, its get me to work and hauls my off road truck to and from the trails (also a bit of recovery work when things get real messy lol) im not looking to get insane hp and torque, just something to wake it up a bit, and also be reliable! there 2 places in my town that deal with diesels, the one place says the bully dog triple dog is the best way to go, and the other says the edge evolution is the best route to take. ive heard that the bully dog just cranks the fuel pressure, and its bad for your injector nozzles, and that the edge is better cause it changes timing and injector pulse. but also to much timing is hard on your engine. just looking for any input on which one is the best route, bully dog or edge? maybe something completely different lol anyhow sry for all the newbie questions! hope i can decide on a tuner soon and go have some fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson View Post
well new to the diesel tuning world here and just looking to get a plug and play unit for my 2001 7.3l. ive put on a 4" down pipe back exhaust, straight piped with a single stack, and a afe intake. gauges are going in, in the next few weeks and im now ready for some tunes. My truck is my DD/ tow rig, its get me to work and hauls my off road truck to and from the trails (also a bit of recovery work when things get real messy lol) im not looking to get insane hp and torque, just something to wake it up a bit, and also be reliable! there 2 places in my town that deal with diesels, the one place says the bully dog triple dog is the best way to go, and the other says the edge evolution is the best route to take. ive heard that the bully dog just cranks the fuel pressure, and its bad for your injector nozzles, and that the edge is better cause it changes timing and injector pulse. but also to much timing is hard on your engine. just looking for any input on which one is the best route, bully dog or edge? maybe something completely different lol anyhow sry for all the newbie questions! hope i can decide on a tuner soon and go have some fun!

Timing is good to a point, it helps with fuel economy, but you don't want a lot of timing when your towing because its bad for the engine. Edge Products is good like the juice w/attitude. I would pick that over bully dog. Everyone has there prference and from what my buddies with fords say they love DP Tuner more than anything. Its a custom tuned chip and it is designed to your likings and what you do or want to do with your vehical. I have a 99 F350 7.3L 1ton dump and plan on getting custom tunes from DP Tuner. Because its a work truck all I am getting is a 60 hp tow setting, 80hp economy setting a few high idle settings, and stock of course. What I have also found out from Jody over at DP Tuner is that his tow programs are now programed like a real tow haul setting. He programed his tow settings to lockup the TC early and keep it locked up while you slow down, also when your slowing down the tranny downshifts eraly to slow the vehical down while your just coasting or going down a hill, thats to save on the brakes, and like I said when your slowing down the tourqe conver stays locked up, that is good because you don't creat any heat when in lockup. DP Tuner is the only one I have found out so far, that does that and being a guy that works his truck, i want my tranny to last so I plan on going with DP Tuner. That is obviously my own personal prefference, but edge is good, I also hear sct is good with the ford trucks.

Last edited by cumminsdude2001; 06-17-2010 at 02:09 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

cool thanks for the input! the dp tuner seems to be the ticket with the fords, just gotta see what getting one all the way up here would be! i deff like the hi idle settings cause having a winch on my truck, its nice to get it idle up when pulling out another truck to keep the batterys from getting to low. as long as i can keep it reliable and have some fun, ill be a happy camper! i already have my dodge friends trying to get me to swap in a dirty dozen, but ill think ill keep the 7.3 for now, until she goes, then well see about the 5.9 lol
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson View Post
cool thanks for the input! the dp tuner seems to be the ticket with the fords, just gotta see what getting one all the way up here would be! i deff like the hi idle settings cause having a winch on my truck, its nice to get it idle up when pulling out another truck to keep the batterys from getting to low. as long as i can keep it reliable and have some fun, ill be a happy camper! i already have my dodge friends trying to get me to swap in a dirty dozen, but ill think ill keep the 7.3 for now, until she goes, then well see about the 5.9 lol
I have best of both worlds. I have the 99 F350 dump with the 7.3 PSD, and a 2001 Ram 2500 PU 4x4 with the 5.9L cummins 24V. I love both trucks. I have around $11,500 into the dodge for performance upgrades including the tranny. The ford is just for work but I want a DP Tuner to help it out a little with work when I haul heavy loads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode