MAP issue or someting janky w/ my Edge? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sperry, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 1627 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

MAP issue or someting janky w/ my Edge?

Hey everyone, new to the forums... thought I'd join up to see if anyone has had the same issue I've got:

I've got an '01 F-250 7.3PS, with an Edge/Attitude chip on it. Firmware is v1.0 if I remember correctly. I've got a set of analog gauges on the truck as well (boost, EGT, and tranny temp).

On occasion, usually when driving around on the city streets (rather than on the freeway or towing for example) I will be accelerating normally when the Edge starts screaming at me about overboosting. The Edge's boost gauge is reading about 9 to 10 psi higher than the mechanical analog boost gauge. And it will stay like this for a minute or so... even if I let off the throttle and watch the analog gauge go down to 0, the Edge will still read like 9.3psi for a bit... then suddenly reset to 0.0 to match the analog gauge.

So, my first question is, does this sound like an issue with the Edge, or is my MAP sensor reporting the wrong boost level? If it's a MAP issue, would that imply my fueling is probably wrong for the level of boost the truck is actually making? If it's an Edge issue, could there also be a fueling issue, (unless the Edge problem is just a display problem for the boost gauge)?

This issue occurs pretty infrequently, and I've never gotten an overboost check engine light, which seems to imply the ECU itself is not seeing that too-high value from the MAP sensor that the Edge is reporting. But when it happens, it's kinda annoying to have to coast for a while until the sensor resets.

Anyone have some insight or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 AM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
The boost reading should be different since the boost on Edge is reading through the map, and the juice has a boost fooler. Your analog gauge is showing what the truck is actually doing. If all you are seeing is the difference in boost reading I wouldn't worry about it. If the truck acts like there is a problem pull the Edge and see if the problems stays. Im betting that its just something to do with the boost fooling.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" -Townsend Whelen

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Edge Insight CTS / Line-X / Access Bed Cover
B&W Turnover Ball / Companion Hitch
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon/ Tuned with some toys.
2016 Keystone Impact 311 Toyhauler

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeltburn View Post
The boost reading should be different since the boost on Edge is reading through the map, and the juice has a boost fooler. Your analog gauge is showing what the truck is actually doing. If all you are seeing is the difference in boost reading I wouldn't worry about it. If the truck acts like there is a problem pull the Edge and see if the problems stays. Im betting that its just something to do with the boost fooling.
Thanks for the reply.

I would certainly expect the boost value as seen by the stock ECU to be different than the actual value, because the Edge is intercepting and simulating the value that's passed on to the ECU. However, I fail to see any logic in the Edge itself reporting a boost value on its display around 10psi higher than actual, especially if it's setting off the overboost alarm! The Edge and the analog gauge should read the same at all times or the Edge's boost display is useless (well, within 2-3psi considering I'm at 4200ft altitude and the Edge is probably reporting MAP - 1atm while the mechanical gauge is reporting relative pressure).

The truck doesn't certainly seem to act like it's overboosting, considering it's not actually seeing the boost the Edge is reporting... but I'm not sure I could tell if it were running right for the boost level it is seeing just by the seat of my pants. If the truck is fueling for 15psi when it's only actually running 5psi, that seems to me to be an issue if only with reduced fuel mileage.

Again, this doesn't seem to happen frequently, but it's often enough that I worry there may be something failing. I'm just trying to figure out if the problem is with the Edge or with the stock sensor(s). Removing the Edge won't tell me anything, because it's the Edge's boost gauge I need to see to try to see the MAP value of the ECU. I guess I could set it to the "stock" map and see if the problem occurs... I can't recall ever seeing the overboost on the stock setting... but I rarely drive around on stock.

What this really boils down to is, what value does the Edge's boost gauge report? If it's just a 1 to 1 reporting of the stock MAP sensor, then likely my MAP sensor is going bad and reporting too high a value. But if there's some software manipulating that number before displaying it, I'd bet it's more likely a bug in the Edge's software.

Anyone know how much a MAP sensor costs and how hard it is to replace? Or does anyone know if there's a newer firmware revision for the Edge, and whether or not they're easy to deal with for upgrades?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode