How does a 3 way chip actually work? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ofg, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1176 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
ofg

How does a 3 way chip actually work?

O/K, heres what I mean. When you flip the 3 position switch, from stock to either of the preset tunes,,, does the new programming run through the chip constantly,, or does the chip actually reflash the ecm?

Why do I ask? If a chip was removed after it had been used in a "tune" setting,, would the ecm retain the "tune" or would it reset itself to the stock factory programming?

Chip in question is a diablo 3 position chip. Truck is a 1997 f250 PSD auto 4wd crew.

Last edited by ofg; 03-02-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM

The chip overrides the PCM so that it reads directly from the board on the chip. The switch just decides which tune it sees.

Once the chip is removed, the PCM should default back to whatever tuning is native to it.

A programmer is different. It loads tunes directly to the PCM.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
ofg
Threadstarter

Another question

Is it possible, that on a 3 way tuner,, the "stock" tune is something other than factory oem stock?

Reason for asking; While trying to fix the cold start problem in my truck I noticed that the tuner switch was in the top high power position, but the chip was removed. In the past, I know if I started the truck in the high power setting, it would over fuel, smoke alot, hard start, no power until it warmed up.

After replugging in the chip, and putting the switch into the "stock" position, it fired right up on this mornings cold start.

I figured either the stock setting is something other than "stock" that makes cold start easier,, perhaps its economy? or the ecm must have retained some of the "tune" setting when it was unplugged??? Perhaps the "mechanic" unplugged it with key in ignition and the ecm got confused???

Only way to tell for sure weather or not it was a fluke,, is to wait till tomorrow and go for another cold start.

So, this begs another question: On the diablo chip,, how are the tunes arranged?

3 position switch: Bottom = economy, middle = stock, top = high power?

Or, is it : bottom = stock, middle = economy, top = high power?

Last edited by ofg; 03-02-2011 at 05:02 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Sheep Shearer

No idea on the Diablo chip having no expereince with it.

But if its a programmer, it re-flashes the PCM, which generally means you cannot hot switch tunes either.

if its a chip, it over rides, as the other guy said, and when the chip is out, its just the PCM in its original format.

The stock tunes on the Chips are updated versions of the stock tunes with the latest programming for sensors and such, like OBD2 upgrades that the 94-97's wouldn't have unless they had a PCM reflash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode