whats up with this? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by SICKS-O, this thread has received 39 replies and been viewed 2160 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0

whats up with this?

i have a snap on diagnostic scan tool that i use to monitor the ICP pressure and other data. on my 140hp position i noticed that after about half throttle the motor goes flat, u can keep putting ur foot into it and it does nothing but get louder, EGTs start to raise very quickly, and it also starts to billow smoke. i setup up the scanner to show throttle position and ICP pressure and as i put my foot into the throttle i noticed the ICP pressure would rise to about 1700-1800psi then at 1.88 AP, it would drop to 1000-1100 and this is where the engine would go flat until right before WOT then the power comes back on strong. i dont understand what would cause this? it does the same thing on the 100 setting but its not noticable at all. my hpop isnt maxed out either because if i ground the IPR at wot i get another 300-400psi of ICP pressure. anyone experience what i am talking about or know whats causing it? just not enough oil for the amount of fuel the injectors or bad stock programming?

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

i wish someone with some programming knowledge would step in here and explain to me whats happening. going from 1800psi down to 1000psi is a large drop in pressure there has to be some explanation.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

I must have missed this post while searching the forums.

What it sounds like its that the amount of ICP that is being called for in that program. Your stock HPOP can not keep up with it. Have you scanned for any codes? If you do and you get a p1211<ICP is less then or greater then desired> then it is the HPOP.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to give Jody a call.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

yes that code is in there. would upgrading the the "hump" hpop pump off a late 99-03 be sufficient or should i just look into aftermarket setups?

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 05:15 PM
&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Lady in Red&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;

Power Stroke,

99% of the time your HPOP is fine. The reason that your ICP is falling off and coming back is due to incorrect tuning in your mass fuel desired and your injection feed rate tables. What is happening is that the fuel derate table has not been properly remapped to compensate for the amount of ICP that is being requested. This will also cause you to throw an ICP code. We've proved this on the dyno time and time again. Have your programming adjusted in these areas and your issue will be resolved. It is alot more feasable to make these adjustments pryor to spending money for a new HPOP.

Bob Riley of DieselSite.com has a new system getting ready for market. We have been working with Bob on the tuning end of it, and can maintain 3,000psi from off throttle to wide open throttle for the entire run. It never falls off 3,000psi. If interested contact Bob at 352-257-1669. He is a great guy and has some great products.

Sheila Perry
TS Performance

06 Dodge Cummins - Flame Red - TS MP-8,
22" Akuza Wheels, ARE bed lid, MPD-HUD monitor, SunCoast tranny & custom paint by Taylor's Automotive Art coming soon
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 05:30 PM
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

Power Stroke,

If you can find a HPOP off of an 03 7.3 it will help a lot. It will still drop below desired on the 140 setting at full throtle under hard power. But not as bad. You just have to get used to throtle position and where you foot needs to be to mantian the power curve when racing.

2007 Dodge 3500 MegaCab Laramie CTD 4x4 Patroit Blue Just a bunch of Go fast parts and programing
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Darn early 99's.... I feel for you guys, SIZE DOES MATTER... :kissazz

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 05:44 PM

Now that's funny right there :Thumbup:

22" Akuza Wheels, ARE bed lid, MPD-HUD monitor, SunCoast tranny & custom paint by Taylor's Automotive Art coming soon
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
4cstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byenow
Power Stroke,

99% of the time your HPOP is fine. The reason that your ICP is falling off and coming back is due to incorrect tuning in your mass fuel desired and your injection feed rate tables. What is happening is that the fuel derate table has not been properly remapped to compensate for the amount of ICP that is being requested. This will also cause you to throw an ICP code. We've proved this on the dyno time and time again. Have your programming adjusted in these areas and your issue will be resolved. It is alot more feasable to make these adjustments pryor to spending money for a new HPOP.

Bob Riley of DieselSite.com has a new system getting ready for market. We have been working with Bob on the tuning end of it, and can maintain 3,000psi from off throttle to wide open throttle for the entire run. It never falls off 3,000psi. If interested contact Bob at 352-257-1669. He is a great guy and has some great products.

Sheila Perry
TS Performance
Sheila...a few questions then.

With him having a 99...his hpop can only shove out so much psi before it falters. How can programming overcome the physical limitations of the pump? Don't take this as a flame...I've just never heard of programming compensating for the hpop falling off. If things are remapped...does this just mean that you back off on the fuel that the ICP is calling for then?

As for Bob's pump...you are correct that he is a great guy and very easy to talk to. He describes his pump as a high volume pump that requires no modifications to install, and that no modifications are required to the tuning either. I take this meaning that he has altered the innards somehow...becoming a modified pump.

To get back to Power Stroke, your 99 hpop in stock form will only take you so far.

Come September at Smokin...we will see what "Big Oil" does for hp and torque ratings to a mostly stock truck...meaning it still has stock injectors and turbo. Only difference between "stock" runs and "non-stock" runs will be the addition of big oil and a regulated fuel system. And I believe the regulated fuel system doesn't add to the Hp/Tq numbers much...if at all.

Dave
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 06:05 PM

No flame taken :Handshake:

I'll try my best to explain.....

When adjusting hpop output this cannot be done in one map only. While I cannot disclose which maps, there is a formula. When you lower one table you raise another. Then you have percentages each table has to see before it will make the change. You mention the limitations of a 99 HPOP and you are correct, but you should still be able to maintain a min of 1300psi through your entire run. This is done through the programming.

For example,

If you run aftermarket injectors installing a new hpop ( any brand) you will only see minimal gains, by having proper tuning you will see maximum gains.

Sheila

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode