Advice on some mods - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by smokin97, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 804 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Advice on some mods

I just purchased a 1997 F-350 7.3 PSD w/ an E4OD. I am looking to do an intake, exhuast, and chip setup right now. I am looking at a Diamond Eye 5" single turbo-back exhuast. AFE Stage II Intake, and a TS Performance 6 Position chip.

I see a lot of people going with 4" exhuasts, but i'm looking at doing a lot of other mods later i.e. injectors, turbo, intercooler, heads, transmission, propane, etc. Are there any differences besides size, that i should worry about later or should i just go with the 5" exhuast?

Also, i heard chips are better with these older 7.3's than the programmers, what's the best out there right now? I also noticed you guys talking about all the different chips with these different "burns", isn't a burn just basically a custom tuned chip? What would you guys recommend? I want the most power i can get out of this truck, and i want to make my money worth it. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also, i heard chips are better with these older 7.3's than the programmers,
Given what some of the programmers do and more importantly do not do, I believe that is a good generalization.

Quote:
what's the best out there right now?
Is now, and always has been an SCT product. SCT is run by a former Ford engineer, and they have the best "kung fu" available for driveability and durability (especially with the transmission functions). They *may* not produce the biggest numbers on the rollers, but they also do not break stuff.

Quote:
I also noticed you guys talking about all the different chips with these different "burns", isn't a burn just basically a custom tuned chip?
Yes, you got that 100% correct. Each "burn" is a different program, maybe a lot different than the nest, maybe not.

Quote:
What would you guys recommend?
SCT hands down for reliability.

Quote:
I want the most power i can get out of this truck, and i want to make my money worth it.
I don't know who's stuff makes the most power, that was never as important to me as durability and having the programming RIGHT.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 AM

If i were you i would call Jody or diane tipton at Dp-tuner for the best driveability and performance...very good people to deal with!...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 AM

Also does SCT make a chip? I didn't think they did...I always thought it was just a programmer?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 AM

The nice thing about a chip over a programmer is the ability to change the settings quickly.

I usually drive in the 80 econo setting, hook to a 10k trailer switch into 60 tow move the load 5-40 miles, unhook and switch back to econo or 120 if I want to play.

I much prefer the chip to a tuner.

dp tuner would be a great place to go.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
Given what some of the programmers do and more importantly do not do, I believe that is a good generalization.

Is now, and always has been an SCT product. SCT is run by a former Ford engineer, and they have the best "kung fu" available for driveability and durability (especially with the transmission functions). They *may* not produce the biggest numbers on the rollers, but they also do not break stuff.

Yes, you got that 100% correct. Each "burn" is a different program, maybe a lot different than the nest, maybe not.

SCT hands down for reliability.

I don't know who's stuff makes the most power, that was never as important to me as durability and having the programming RIGHT.
Mr. SCT likes to push his stuff... Anyway:loser :Thumbup:

As far as the best stuff, Exhaust= You will be looking at a 3" downpipe, to a 4 or 5" from there, as far as performance... 4" will give you all you will EVER need.

Chip, For the OBS crowd, There is no better then Tony Wildman, Shoot him a PM at twildman. About 80-90% of the OBS guys use his stuff, I have a few burns from him that are very good.

You could save some cash and go for a Tymar intake, instead of the AFE 2... Do they even have a Stage 2 for a OBS??? Hope this helps... Post away, we got lots of ways to get you fast...:Thumbup:

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode