Chip ? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by HoustonPSD, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 951 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Chip ?

I've been trying to fight the desire to chip my truck and I think I am going to fail (I'm such a failure ). Anyway, why do people get a stock setting? Is it necessary? If I want stock I can just pull the chip out right? I just can't fathom why I would want to flip it back to the stock setting. Is there something very obvious I am missing?

2002 Super Duty CC Lariat 4x4 4.5" Donahoe Racing lift, 35x12.5x17 BFG MT KM2s on 17x8.5 Weld X-Landers burnin' B50
Truck Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Dieselis' Maximus

I use my stock setting for Initial Start up and let the motor Warm up with the stock setting in the Mornings especially when it starts to get cold.

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if
the Marines can. They are the same
kind of men; why can't they be like
Marines."
Gen. John J "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

there are a few reasons for stock

icey roads-(that won't effect you if you are in houston)
wet roads-(seldom will effect you in Houston)
warm ups-(trucks should be up to operating temp before using higher hp programs) In houston does it ever get below 50*F?
do you ever let others drive your truck that may hot rod it?:
Emmsions testing (you won't have to pull the chip out)

If none of those pertain to you then there would be no need for it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa

warm ups-(trucks should be up to operating temp before using higher hp programs) In houston does it ever get below 50*F?

Exactly!

Performance Diesel Motorsports

5,500 RPM Common Rail Anyone??
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 AM

valet, yearly inspections and when the FBD drives it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:45 AM

Why waste a performance setting? I can pull my chip in less time then it took to type this... I have all mine set at 50-and up...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:45 AM

VALET??? Last time I let a Valet park my truck was at my cousins wedding. When they brought my truck back at the end of the night it was wrapped in toilet paper inside and out. They thought they were going to play a joke on my cousin that got married and they got the wrong truck.... jack ***' If it were me id get the Stock tune added to your chip I dont believe it costs you anything if you put it in one of the positions on an F5. I'm sure Diane can tell ya that though I may be wrong. I'd recommend DP Just got my SCT from DP today. Really Nice....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody
VALET??? Last time I let a Valet park my truck was at my cousins wedding. When they brought my truck back at the end of the night it was wrapped in toilet paper inside and out. They thought they were going to play a joke on my cousin that got married and they got the wrong truck.... jack ***' If it were me id get the Stock tune added to your chip I dont believe it costs you anything if you put it in one of the positions on an F5. I'm sure Diane can tell ya that though I may be wrong. I'd recommend DP Just got my SCT from DP today. Really Nice....
Yup, they charge for a stock tune... You get a chip with one tune for X amount, whether thats a stock or not, then 35-45 each one after that. Stock is a waste of space!!! And money...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 AM

Ok I stand corrected then. I thought they didnt charge for it but ok. I just think with the F5 with 16 positions I wouldnt fill all those up so what the heck is a stock tune in one of the positions. But thats just me. With living up here though with the snow and stuff I know i wouldnt get one with out the stock tune. But again thats just me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa

I appreciate the responses. Here we don't have testing for diesel trucks...just the safety inspection. 50*? I'm getting chilly just thinking about it. Winter here is where I put the flip-flops in the closet and pull out the ankle socks and nikes, lol!

The wife is the only other person that drives the truck. I trust her as much as I trust myself. She has driven/raced 2 Mustangs and let me bring 7 different Mustangs through our household in our 9 years of marriage. I would say she has passed all the tests I can throw at her. She even took pictures at 5 frames per second as I barrelled towards her to take this picture. Good woman!

2002 Super Duty CC Lariat 4x4 4.5" Donahoe Racing lift, 35x12.5x17 BFG MT KM2s on 17x8.5 Weld X-Landers burnin' B50
Truck Pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode