Got a 95 F250, Now what? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ScottyB, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 976 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Got a 95 F250, Now what?

Hello everyone. I have been reading for the last couple months and only have posted in the introductions. looks like a great bunch of people here.

I just got a '95 PSD F250 auto. First could you guys explain some of the 7.3 specific details, (common problems, good, bad, things I should know, ect). I have worked on many vehicals and diesels before just not the 7.3's.

OK, I bought this primarily for hauling and towing my Jeep. So I want it to stay petty reliable. It also has 311,000 on it. But I would like to give it a little peformance boost.
I plan on starting with guages and exhaust (cat delete and probably 4"). from there I want to keep the mods on a tight budget.

What is the best bang for the buck with out having to worry about much else. I really want to keep it simple for now. I have been reading alot about DP and would like to know more about them. Is a new down pipe recomended?

Is it even smart to be adding power with 311,000 mi? can the engine handle it? Would it be better to leave it stock?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 AM

There is a lot of good things you can do to these things cheap and relatively cheap...

1. Tymar intake- about $50 for the parts and filter... Its a piece of 4" exhaust tube, and a BIG filter ( I don't know the part # but some one will). It flows almost as good as a $400 filter set up.

2. Got to do a down pipe on the OBS trucks (old body style). 3" is all you will fit without doing alot of fire wall work, its really all you need with just a chip type set up.

3. Gauges- add at least a pyro and tranny temp, but a boost gauge is a good tool as well. Keep the Pro under 1250-1300 for anything more then a few seconds (10-15), tranny temp under 220, boost on a stock OBS is right about 15-17# but chipped you will see about 25#+-

4. do some reading about the CCV mod, exhaust mods

5. Chip- Jody is great, but as far as the OBS trucks I think Tony Wildman has there votes about 99% of the time! When your reading about chips, keep in mind you will not see more then about 70-80hp boost with a OBS, there injectors are much smaller then the SD's

With 300,000 its still got lots of life so long as the last owner took good care of it! Change the oil every 3-5000 miles and fuel filters every 8-10,000 miles. Some will say carry a spare CPS (cam position sensor) but I think that is over blown... Never had one leave me in over 750,000 miles in PSD's...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thats some great info. The truck seems to run well. but I just got it so only time will tell for sure. The guy claims its the original tranny and he said he's never done anything major. The tranny also seems to shift pretty good still. But the fluid is pretty burnt, what do you guys recomend? I have heard alot about fords and not to flush it when they get old, is there any truth to this?

I will start with guages and probably full exhuast first. I also want more info on the intake (where to buy? is it a kit or separate parts?)

Would like more info on Tony Wildman. what can he do? prices? Chip or programer? 70-80 HP is all I am really looking for right now. what about torque? 150 ftlb ???

And then oil. I was planning on running Rotella 5w40, but it seems that quite a few people run regular 15w40. Is synthetic needed or just over kill? Can I run more then 5000mi on synthetic?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:33 AM

no need for syn, but its your choise... The Tymar intake can be bought at SP Diesel or put together yourself.

Tony is twildman here, send him a PM

not sure on the tranny, never heard that about them, might PM racerx, seems to be a bit of a e4do expert

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 AM

"Got a 95 F250, Now what?"

Let the good times roll :Thumbup:.

Gauges, cooling as needed, Intake, Exhaust, budget check. Power up to 40 hp and all the support needed after that. A Good Transmission will need upgrades beyond 40.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
There is a lot of good things you can do to these things cheap and relatively cheap...

1. Tymar intake- about $50 for the parts and filter... Its a piece of 4" exhaust tube, and a BIG filter ( I don't know the part # but some one will). It flows almost as good as a $400 filter set up.
The p/n for the filter is a 6637 NAPA. I cant remember the Wix #. I know it's the same with like a 5 or something added to the front. The cheapest place I have found to buy one is fleetfilter.com I don't know if the price with shipping would be all that much better if just ordering a single filter but you may want to stock up on some oil and fuel filters as well.

The only thing you need to hook it to the stock intake hose is a 4" long piece of 4" dia. exhaust tubing and a constant torque clamp for like a 4" intercooler hose. You can put a 45 deg. bend exhaust pipe instead of the straight to let the filter set in there a little straighter, but it's not necessary.

I would suggest to wait until you have your exhaust on to add the filter - money savings reasons. NAPA charged me like 12 bucks for a 4" piece of tubing, but I had to have it right that minute - or so I thought. You will have some extra tubing from the exhaust install and wouldn't have to buy anything that way.

Oh, by the way you better like to hear some turbo whistle because with the filter, exhaust, and my weak Superchips Tuner my radio can hardly over power the turbo/engine noise when towing. But for me thats all the more reason for doing it :Thumbup:

I am in the process of installing Stage 1 injectors and a twildman chip. I will let you know what I think of the chip when it's finished.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

racehauler- Thanks, thats what I was looking for on the air filter. I think I can handle making my own. Does the filter clamp on the pipe? one kit looks like it just slips on with no flange to clamp. I was wondering how they keep it together. they must have some type of stop on the end of the filter. then what do you do for mounting the fitler? just make some posts to hold up the pipe?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:50 PM

It just hangs there or rests on the fender well. You will remove all of the factory air box. There is a clamp spot for the filter, clamp it to the intake and clamp the tube to the filter.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:55 PM
The Big Meanie

Here ya go Scotty.......this is what it looks like........And check out this site, its been known as the OBS Bible for us guys........

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

kevin

1996 Dodge 3500 Ex. Cab LB Wide Hipper
Boys Stroke It...Men RAM It
Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member
If I Get Caught Drunk On My Horse, Is It A DUI Or A RUI???

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS
What Is A Farm With No Barns?

Quote:
[Today 9:22 PM] GrnMachineLover: I just think diesels in cars are funny

Last edited by bigdraft; 06-03-2009 at 03:57 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 PM

Yeah

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode