DP Tuner questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fordman7.3power, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 1755 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

DP Tuner questions

I have an stock 02 with 7.3l, and I am planning on adding a chip from DP Tuner. I have read lots of posts with good thinks to say about this chip but not shure what programming to put on it. I need stock and want 80hp econo and also need tow have 30' tt, but which one 40hp or 60hp? What would be the dif.. and whould anyone suggest any other prg?
Also does 80hp econo make a big differance in power and fuel economy?

Has anyone removed the cat. converter? wouldn't that make more power?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 PM

When I was stock, I did stock, 60 tow, 80 econo, 120 race. This worked real well with the truck and the 60 tow worked really well with towing 15k. The 80 econo works ok for light towing but the 60 is good for the heavy stuff.

Don't forget the gauges to keep an eye on whats going on. The EGTS will tell you to back out of it or drop down a program. Jody can also do a No start position if you want to add a level of security.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 PM

You say "I have an stock 02 with 7.3l"...you don't have any modifications at all? Intake? Exhaust?

The only reason I ask is you are definitely going to make more heat with any power upgrade - and DP is a great power upgrade. My wife drives an '02 nearly identical to mine (in sig) and we tried the 60 tow in it for pulling the trailers in sig. I love the 60tow for pulling and is also my favorite for all around driving as well. It is not designed specifically for MPG increases and we saw none. The 40tow still makes more power than stock and is good for towing without building as much heat as the 60tow. Of course, the only way to know how much heat you are making is to have a pyrometer. In your situation I would reccomend either the 40tow or 60tow but the final decision should be between you and Jody. He won't steer you wrong!

Yes, the 80econo makes a big difference in power - especially over 2000 rpm. I can tow with the 80econo (and my mods) and have no worries.

Neither of my PSD's had cat's on them when I got them so I can't comment on removing them - although, anything to open up the exhaust should help.

(Right about here is where the DEQ police show up...)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I just got my truck a few weeks ago and it is compleatly stock. Jody suggested 60hp tow and 80 econo.

Does anyone have digital guages, like what edge monitor has? I would like to have some guages but don't want to clutter up dash. I can get a egt at work but typical 1.5" round guage.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:45 PM

You can't go wrong, but give us a little more info... What have you done to the truck so far? You say stock??? Any gauges? If you go to the top of the page, left hand side "user CP", Click there and fill out your signature.

Chip, If you want a stock go... Stock, Hi idle, 60 tow, 80 econ, and 120 race. But you want to add gauges first, then if you really want too, the chip... Best way is (IMHO...) gauges, intake, exhaust, chip... Then all the little mods down the road...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:51 PM

As far as gauges go... there are lots of options... I love the over head pod, you also have the underdash pod... Here are a few options...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isspro lit at dusk.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	7586   Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead 4.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	7587   Click image for larger version

Name:	kennys gauges.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	7588   Click image for larger version

Name:	got lots of gauges.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	7589  

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 PM

BTS's trucks are running a digital monitor on the A pillar. I'm not sure who makes them but I wish I would have it rather than the 3 gauge pod. It is much easyer to see around and saves info like max EGTS and Boost.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:32 AM
RV Dealer Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman7.3power
Also does 80hp econo make a big differance in power and fuel economy?
Here is my personal experience with that exact situation from one of the other sites:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner

THANKS JODY, NOW I NEED A NEW SEAT CUSHION!!!

Well, the DP Tuner fairy came in the little brown truck today, bearing a PCM flashed with a Econo/ 80 hp tune. This is the 2nd PCM Jodie sent me.

The first PCM I got last week, had a glitch that caused the torque convertor to lockup as soon as you put it into gear, immediately stalling the engine. I called Jody and he had another one on it's way that same day. Jody's customer service= :Thumbup:

So like I said, 2nd PCM comes today. I had indicated in another post , that it took me about 10 minutes to swap PCM's. I lied, it only took me 7 minutes. So I get Jody's PCM installed and head for the highway. I turn onto the highway, apply light pressure to the "Go Pedal" and I instantly hear this horrendous sound of rubber being removed from the rear tires. So I let up on my right foot and try again. This time with even less pressure from my right foot.

I come to a stop sign, and think to myself "OK, lets see if this DP-Tuner guy is all he is cracked up to be." Well, I slowly roll through the intersection, and the right foot goes to the floor. "DDDDDAAAAAMMMMMNNNN!!!!!" I've been driving this truck for 5 1/2 years and it has NEVER moved like this, even with the Banks chip!! My arse gets pressed into the seat so hard, I think I killed what was left of the cushion. I look in the passenger side mirror & there is light to moderate smoke coming out the exhaust. Not bad, but enough to let folks know this is a truck to be reckoned with.

Boost: most I usually see with the Banks chip- 22, 24 on a good day. Observed boost with the DP-Tuner Econo PCM- 28 psi!!!! THIS TRUCK HAS NEVER SEEN THAT MUCH BOOST BEFORE!! And this wasn't even an optimal day either! On a better day weather wise, it would likely go higher than that. Keep in mind also, this is an early build 99 with a tiny, "stock-as-the-day-it-was-born" turbo!! I only went for a 10 mile or so test drive, so obviously mpg observations will have to wait.
Later on, I was able to get a MPG estimate. Doing about 60 mph, I can get about 18 to 19 MPG. Since I put in my single shot Stage I's, I think my mileage has dropped some, but probably more cause it's so much damn fun going from 0-60 in under 8 sec's and smokin' that high school punk with the jacked up Chevy gasser.: :evil:

As far as the catalytic converter goes, I don't know about up Canada way, but here in the "States", it's illegal to remove them. But they are known to fall off with a fair amount of regularity.:angel: :

Kent - Retired USAF MSgt
Ex-B-52 Tail Gunner w/ 3600+ Flying Hours

A&P Mechanic, American Eagle Airlines
Work on Embraer 135/140/145 and
Bombardier CRJ-700

2011 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Took delivery 10/26/2011
100% Stock.
Tail_gunner's Webshots
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to RSieck
I didnt Know it was illegal to remove them

Early 99 F250 4x4 Ext Cab LB, DP Tuner, Intake/4" Straight Pipe
:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

My truck didnt come with one. its an 02

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if
the Marines can. They are the same
kind of men; why can't they be like
Marines."
Gen. John J "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode