Quadzilla and a DP Tuner - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ebbnflow, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 1368 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quadzilla and a DP Tuner

I'm going to buy myself some gauges for my birthday and I think I have my mind made up. I want to go digital, I think? I've been looking at the Quadzilla but have a few questions.

Will the Quadzilla work with a DP Tuner?
Can the Quadzilla control a DP Tuner?
How many parameters will it control out of the box?

I don't want to mount it on the A-Pillar and I like the look of the Edge overhead console mount.

Has anyone mounted the Quadzilla in the Edge overhead console mount?
Where did you mount the Quadzilla? (Pillar mount exlcuded)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:15 AM

I don't have a Commander myself, however it will control most flip chips. I don't know if it's compatible with DP-Tuners new F5 chip but I believe it is. I would call Jody and quiz him on using the Commander with his chip, he is great to work with and VERY helpful.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I be Architect'n

The Quad. is not compatible w/ DP-Tuner. When the Quad changes settings it just grounds out the contact for that specific setting, the F-5 control for DP does more sophisticated things to change power settings, atleast that is what I was told by Jody w/ I called him about the same thing.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Out of the box the Commander will read EGT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp and Boost. If you buy the Fuel pressure kit you will then be able to see Fuel pressure and Injection Pressure (ICP). You will not be able to control the DP chip right now with it but that may change in the future.

I have the commander on my tuck and added the fuel pressure kit. I also am able to use it to control my chip from Tony because he uses VanAaken chips.

The only big dislike I have with the Commander is that the boost will only read to the max of the MAP sensor. On my truck that was 21 psi. yours will be similar but could be as high as 25-27 depending on you sensor.

Here is a pic of how I mounted it. I used double sided tape on the clip that they provide so that it is easily removable.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Myles
The Quad. is not compatible w/ DP-Tuner. When the Quad changes settings it just grounds out the contact for that specific setting, the F-5 control for DP does more sophisticated things to change power settings, atleast that is what I was told by Jody w/ I called him about the same thing.
6_Myles,

I saw your sig shows that you use a Quadzilla Commander for gauges in conjunction with a DP-Tuner. That is what I would like to do. How do you like that set up? Where did you mount your Quadzilla?

Above you said that the Quad is not compatible with a DP. Did you mean a chip from Quadzilla? I just want to use the Quadzilla for gauges. How much boost will your Quadzilla show you? RaceHauler said it will only show boost up to 25-27psi.

Thanks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I be Architect'n

My quad. is located in the corner of the dash and window, kind of where your inspection sticker goes if your state requires it. My sticker actually hides it and it is a very visible spot. My DP tuner controller is located the the right of the steering column, next to a little vent looking thing on the lower dash.

The DP chip that you insert into your PCM can only be controlled by DP's F5 controller. So the Quad. can only be use for gauges. My boost only goes to 20psi, but I have yet to determine if I have a boost leak as I never get an over-boost code even on the highest setting. Plus my dyno number were a little low for what I have done. But RaceHauler is correct, it cannot see more than the MAP sensor sees, but Quad. is supposedly coming out w/ a mechanical adapter to remedy this.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 03:27 AM

The older DP chips with the 4/6 position rotary knobs can be controlled with the Commander. The new F5 is not currently compatable but will be in the near future.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Myles
That is not true at all. I am not sure where he came up with that?

I tried contacting him to talk to him about some stuff and he has no intrest in talking to us so, he has no idea what we are doing.

I can and do control the 6 position chip. I have not messed with an F5 nor do I have one right now as I have looked at them and I doubt we would be able to do anything other than possibly control 6 of the positions.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler
Out of the box the Commander will read EGT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp and Boost. If you buy the Fuel pressure kit you will then be able to see Fuel pressure and Injection Pressure (ICP). You will not be able to control the DP chip right now with it but that may change in the future.

I have the commander on my tuck and added the fuel pressure kit. I also am able to use it to control my chip from Tony because he uses VanAaken chips.

The only big dislike I have with the Commander is that the boost will only read to the max of the MAP sensor. On my truck that was 21 psi. yours will be similar but could be as high as 25-27 depending on you sensor.

Here is a pic of how I mounted it. I used double sided tape on the clip that they provide so that it is easily removable.

We have the analog piece done. We are just waiting to finish and update so that the Commander supports it. The update is only taking so long because we are adding the 6.4L and the 6.7L into the menu system as well.

As soon as we have an update or I know we are going to get the update out in a day or so I will pm you and get your info so I can send you one to test for us.

Easy to install and works great up to 102psi!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Easy to install and works great up to 102psi!!
Are you saying the Commander will read boost higher than 20psi from the MAP Sensor with a software update?

I emailed Jody and he told me that the Quadzilla cannot control the Dp-Tuner, but you can use the Quadzilla for gauges and the tuner together, but you will need the multi position switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode