AIS intake mods - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by thetonka, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 2176 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

AIS intake mods

I have the AIS intake and want to increase the flow. I really don't want to go the AFE route cause the wife is sensitive to sound.

I know about the fender mod, and am going to look into building my own tube to go from the housing to the fender. I have also looked at building a new snorkle to replace the choked stocker(also cause I broke mine when the last time I had the CAC out. ). Anyway I thought I would see if anyone else has done anything unique other than the fender mod foamy thingy.

When I get around to doing mine I will post up. Just need time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 AM

I just fab'd up an aluminum snorkel. I enlarged the hole where the snorkel goes into the filter housing a little bit and then made the snorkel a constant size all the way out. Didn't change my EGT any so I don't know if it really helped or not, but it didn't hurt. I haven't had my trailer on the back yet so I may still see a difference in EGT.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Got any pictures? Are you talking about a replacement for the snorkle from the filter housing to the front bulkhead behind the grille? Thats one of the things I was looking at.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 AM

No sorry, I never took any pictures of it. I'd go take some for ya, but the trucks not where I am at the moment. Probably in a week and half I can get ya some pictures. It was a midnight 30 deal the night before I was leaving on vacation. Yes, I'm talking about the intake snorkel from the box to open air behind the grill. I'll I did was take the AIS plastic snorkel off and widened the opening about .75" and kept the same height. Then I just welded up some 10 or 14 gauge (can't remember which) aluminum that was the same size as the opening in the filter box. I had to add a flange on one end and drill a few holes and bolt the snorkel onto the AIS filter box. Couple hours worth of messing around, no big deal really.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That's just about exactly what I had in mind. I may do mine in fiberglass or carbon fiber.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

You can do the fender sleeve we have listed with the AIS system as an upgrade in this link

05/2009 F350 2WD CC DUALLY EBONY (Inside/Out) dropped 3/5 on 305/45-22 - dubbed "Cat Woman"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah I know about that, but I would rather build my own. IMHO the fender sleeve is a little cheesy. It's just not for me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:55 AM

I've got the fender sleeve too. It's not the pretties thing going, but it helps. I just used aluminum because it was faster as I had the material handy. And as I said I was getting ready to leave VERY soon so I had to get it back together. Fiberglass or carbon fiber would be really trick, not so much weight hanging on the plastic AIS housing.

Hmmm, now you got me thinking. I might pull my aluminum snorkel off and use it for a pattern for a glass one.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I was thinking about it on the drive home yesterday and remember that the new boot for my TN drop in turbo necks down. I'll have to look but I think the input to the TN turbo is a bit larger than the stocker. If this is the case I am going to look into changing out everything between the turbo and the intake housing, I may need to make a new cover for the filter housing. Its been a while since I did any copying with glass and carbon, but I have a garage now so that may just have to happen.

I have a crazy dream the other night about moving my battery and mocking up a whole new intake setup using the AIS filters, or the 6L filters and building an enclosed housing, for sound reduction, that intakes from the fend and the grill with two filters in it. Should filter like crazy and flow really well. My wife always accuses me of making things far more complicated and grand than they need to be.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Ya, I tend to make everything more difficult and complicated. But if I didn't make things more complicated then they need to be I wouldn't have any fun!

The TN drop-in turbo should have a 4" inlet if it has the "stock" TN compressor housing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode