Mods? Hell yeah, count me in! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Shadowskater, this thread has received 20 replies and been viewed 1602 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Mods? Hell yeah, count me in!

Hey guys first off id like to say that I just found this site, and so far it is amazing! A lot of props to everyone that contributes to it and I hope to become a great contributor too. Okay down to the fun stuff =) Well I just got my next vehicle and it is a 1999 F250 7.3L, its white and already has a front end and back end replacement, also a 3 add a leaf and 35 BFG All-Terrains. So to me it already looks beast. The truck was purchased brand new in 1998 so it was one of the first models of 1999, and it was owned by the previous owner until recently when I just purchased it, the truck has 134k miles but since the speedometer is off by around 6-7mph I am sure the mileage is not perfectly accurate. Well I want to start making some modifications to it, I have a lot saved up and I know generally what I want to do to it but I am not sure of the order or the right way to go about it. Or how much I could do on my own and how much I really would want to do. Originally I wanted to get a new truck and lift it and through it on 35s or 37s, but to me the truck already looks great and feels that way too, so I can put that off for a while, so next I wanted to start under the hood and get this truck up to a level where I can cream that vet you always see when you pull up at the red light. So I was thinking Oh! Performance chip! A buddy of mine has done this to nearly every truck he has owned and man is that thing fun, black smoke, hauling ***, there is just too much! So i looked and lookd and i eventually found this site and all of its praise and examples and advice about the Dp tuner, and i was instantly hooked i want one really bad and i am thinking that i wasnt to get the Stock, No Start (because they are free, by the way what is No start for?, and is stock like zero mods, so it makes the truck just like it was b4 the chip?) and 80econo, 120race, and 140smoke. So to get that i know that i cannot just throw in the chip and hope that everything will be working fine, i know that i will probably need gauges and more such as new exhaust and air filter and more, so i was wondering if anyone has any advice or direction for me on what to buy first and what exactly i should get or what my options would be. Thanks so much in advance for reading all of this and thanks to anyone who makes an effort to help me! I know there is a ton of questions in here, but if you can help me out in anyway i appreciate it more than you can imagine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM

2:

You definitly need to get the gauges before you get the chip. EGT, boost, and trans temp (auto) are the common ones. As for the intake and exhaust you can do those after the chip if you want but if you will be getting everything eventually I would reccomend doing the intake and exhaust first.

As for what intake to get, most like the AFE. I have a homemade intake that uses a big paper filter (reffered to as a Tymar intake) and I like it very well. I don't know if there is much, if any, power difference between it and the AFE but it is cheap and filters dirt out very well.

Exhaust is pretty much all the same performance wise. Get what you can afford. SS is nice but not totally necessary for you since you live in Texas. Hangers are the main difference between brands. Most like the MBRP systems, but they are on the upper end of the price scale.

You may want to think about the transmission (auto) a little before you get your chip. If you are going to put a shift kit in it that will make a difference in the programming of your chip. If it is still the stock one you may want to just wait and upgrade the entire trans later when you have the money and you can just send the chip back to get reprogramed. If it's a manual you will be needing an upgraded clutch shortly after the chip is installed

Also if you will be towing much of anything you will want to get a tow tune on your chip :Thumbup:

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Arrow

First of all thanks so much for the response, fast too!

Okay so gauges first, right i was pretty sure i would need to get them and get the EGT, boost, and trans, my friend that used to have a chip did not use gauges at all but when i seemed interested he told me i should get them. Any idea what type of gauges i should get? is there some good cheap ones so i dont have to drop a ton on just gauges?

So i can put off the exhaust and the intake for a while? or i don't need to get them before i get the chip? What does this really mean, ive herd that you can screw things up if you use the chip without them, or just tear away at the life of your engine without them.

Thanks for the info on the exhaust and the intakes i think ill go with a AFE intake and im really not sure about exhaust yet ill have to shop around. Any ideas on how much install would be on a new intake or exhaust or is it something i could get near doing? i know the exhaust would be something i probably could not touch.

So the tranny, ouch, so i would have to get my tranny entirely rebuilt? that sounds expppeeeennnssiiiveee, hehe, but i might be able to handle it if it was that necessary. I don't believe my friend had his tranny rebuilt but i could be easily wrong because he is loaded, and that procedure would be pocket change for him, unfortunatly though im not as fortunate =P

Hypothetically if i only used the high chip settings sparingly could i keep my stock tranny or only rebuild a certain area, it just seems hard to justify spending so much to rebuild the tranny just for black smoke =P

I don't normally tow very often maybe once a month or a little more. So i would probably get no tow or only 1 tow setting, if i did get no tow setting on a DP could i ever send it back with 50$ and ask for one to be added?

Alot more questions lol, thanks so much in advance to anyone that attempts to help me out!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
TDG Mafia Member #73

MOst vendors will sell them. I am going to redo the gauges in my EX and I am going with Autometer C2 gauges. I prefer to do business with Black Widow DIesel. Brian and Kevin there are awesome to work with. but shop around and find out what looks best to you.

http://www.autometer.com/
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM

By no means do you HAVE to upgrade to a built transmission. It all depends on the condition it is in now as to what you should do. I would drop the trans pan and change the fluid for sure. You will be able to look at what is in the bottom of the pan as far as clutch material or metal. If you don't know much about what your looking at then you can post some pics on here of it and we will tell you what we think.

Or you may just want to take it to a reputable transmission shop to have them look it over and have them tell you what they think about it. I wasn't trying to tell you that you MUST do something to the trans. Just warning you about the possibility of problems with increased power. Mostly it will depend how hard you drive the truck on a regular basis as to how long the stock one will last.

FWIW I would post that you are looking to buy gauges, afe intake, and an exhaust system for your truck in our Supporting Vendors Forum and you may be supprised at the price you can get as a package. If they happen to be a dealer for DP tuner that might sweeten the deal for you.

If you are looking so save a few bucks click here for a write up on how to make a good intake for 50 bucks or less.

Eric
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
Dually Club Member #53

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Get good gauges, not cheap ones. I prefer Isspro for the quality and nearly factory matched look, but get whatever brand you like.

As was said before, intake and exhaust are the next items. If you aren't going for huge power you can just straight pipe your stock exhaust, although I would recommend doing the full system. The DIY Tymar is a great filter for the price. You can also buy the DIY already done from Tymar or for a lot less money at Air Flo Systems. The AIS is a nice system for moderate HP levels and it is probably the best filtering system.

The transmission doesn't need a full build right off the get go. You may want to think about putting a good TC in it though. I'd also do a valve body upgrade, either do it yourself or buy one done. My transmission has been holding 650 Ft/lbs for quite some time towing a LOT of weight. Recently I've added more power and it still is holdup, but I drive it in such a way as to be easy as possible on it. Even my mech diode is still in one piece (for how much longer is the next question).

After all that stuff you can do the fun stuff, like the chip, injectors, turbo, ect. Watch out, this stuff is addicting and once you start it is a slippery slope.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Exclamation

Alright guys so i have been looking around alot and trying to figure out what things i should buy first, so far the best gauges deal i have found is either one of these little beauts. Deal 1 Deal 2 Any input on these? would i be wasting my money on them, or is it a okay deal? Any better suggestions on gauges or some links?

Okay second i want to get a new air filter now ive been looking around and some of them can get pretty damn pricey and these Tymar air filters are looking pretty nice and easy to handle price wise, plus the dealer seems very friendly and easy to work with =) any input on the Tymar's or how it would work on a early 99'?

Next i want to grab some exhaust, im getting bent on the MBRP XP Series right now as the price range is just under 500$ and they look like quality exhaust systems. Any idea how that would play out?

For fun last i think this is another thing i want just for my turbo is a High Flow Turbo Outlet I am pretty sure but i could be wrong is this a performance outlet that would make my turbo whistle when i hammer off? If it is this thing is just too cool, a couple of my friends have gotten new turbo's and their's sounded amazing, and they told me i could by a ring for around 100$ to make mine sound like thiers as well as lowering my EGT's, any input on these little trinkets? Deal? no deal? haha

Then after all that DP will probably be gettin a call from me hehe.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Autometer gauges are good quality. I have never had a problem with them. Before you make the purchase I would reccomend posting that you are wanting a gauge setup in our supporting vendors forum. If you can get the same stuff for about the same price you will probably be better off with a TDG supporter because all I have dealt with are great with customer service.

As far as the turbo outlet goes you will not have an Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) if you get one. It is used to help warm the engine up at startup and can be used for an exhaust brake. That outlet should help spool up slightly and lower EGT slightly also. IMHO it probably won't do you enough good to justify the cost. As far as the turbo whistle....put an intake, exhaust, and a chip on that early 99 and your Dodge buddy's will wonder where thier second silencer ring is at :roflmao:

Eric
Dually Club Member #53

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Talking Parts came in!

Hey guys I went with your advice and posted in the Supporting Vendors forum and I got hooked up by dfuser for all my needs and I am extremely pleased! Here's some pics!

^New Exhaust, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back Stainless

^ 5" Tip for exhaust

^ dfuser's Big Air Filter System, Gauge package including Autometer Ultralite's Pyro, Trans, and Boost, 3 Gauge Full A-Pillar Painted Pod, and a Speco SPC-15RP 5"x 8" PA that I forgot where I ordered from for my CB radio.

Yeaaaaah! I am excited I can't wait to start putting this stuff in!

Pretty sure a friend and I are going to install everything, he has done most of it before, so I hope it will be okay, heh

So whatchyall think? imp
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 AM

I'm thinking you better get that crap off the dining room table before she gets home... OR YOU ARE A DEAD MAN!

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode