compressor wheel install ?'s - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by firefighter56, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 3433 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

compressor wheel install ?'s

I am familiar with how to install the wheel and why, but I've been told that when you install a new wheel that the turbo needs to be balanced, and if you don't then it will fail prematurely due to vibrations from the new wheel. Has anyone else heard this or was I being fed a line? I am installing another one and need to know. Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 AM

You can get away without balancing the new wheel, but it's a gamble as it might last but it might not. I rebalance a turbo any time I have one apart. It's easy enough to do, or inexpensive enough if you have to have it done somewhere.

If the turbo is not balanced you are taking a chance. If the new wheel is close enough to the old one then it won't cause much of a problem. However if the new wheel isn't weighted the same as the old then it will cause the turbo to fail sooner than it would normally. At 125,000+ RPM a little out of balance adds up to a lot of stress.

That being said, instead of getting 200K miles out of the turbo you might get 150K. On the other hand most turbo shops charge about 100 bucks to balance, less in some cases.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 AM

THere is no need to rebalance a turbo after a wheel install... The turbo was ballanced before the wheel, the wheel is ballanced, there for there is no reason to ballance again. Look at the wheel when you get it, you will see little ground off spots. This is where the wheel was ballanced in manufacturing. Some people feel the need to spend more money for nothing... I have install 8 WW for people and never ballanced one of the turbos... None have come back...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:48 AM

The wheel is balanced, but when you install that wheel onto an assembly the assembly is not balanced. Every one I have had on the machine has needed some balancing. If the wheel is a cast one, then it usually needs more work. If the wheel was machine from a billet they are usually much better out of the box.

Just because the turbo was balanced does not mean once you disturbed it that it will automatically be in balance when the new wheel is installed. When you install the new wheel onto the shaft you run it on the balance machine and then, depending on what the machine tells you, you make rotational changes using the notch machined into the wheel at the factory.

Garett says that any time the turbo is disassembled the following components need to be checked for balance (the compressor and turbine wheels are checked individually at the MFG): 1) Turbine wheel and shaft 2)thrust collar, 3) oil slinger, 4) Compressor wheel, 5) nut. Holset and BG also have similar requirements when working on their turbo's.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1040 WreckerMan
(the compressor and turbine wheels are checked individually at the MFG
YOU said it right there... the parts are balanced individually at the factory... at no time are they balanced together as a unit...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 AM

Yes I said it right there, I also said that only applies the wheels not the assembly. It is possible that the wheels are balanced, but when installed the TURBO is out of balance, which is why I said turbo's should be balanced. Those parts are checked as an assembly normally any time the turbo is disassembled.

That is why Garrett says the turbo should be balanced any time it is disassembled (even if no parts are replaced).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Does the wicked wheel take any of that chopping sound out of the turbo??
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 AM

what dose the wicked wheel do for you
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yes, it will help to get rid of surge and flutter. It also makes the whistle louder. It will not make more power, just makes more constant boost and makes the turbo last longer, if you install it correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode