Does a chip/Programmer really add MPG?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Timmy, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 526 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Does a chip/Programmer really add MPG??

Now I am new to the whole diesel thing and I love my X with the 7.3. The wife has an Avalanche and I think it may be going down the road for a diesel pickup. Anyway all the reaserch I have been doing (reading) is about how a chip or tuner can ad major hp/tq plus improve at least 3mpg sometimes up to 6mpg. The HP/tq gains I have seen are very noticable but to get 20+ in the highway out of my 7.3 X seems to be getting difficult and maybe even a stretch. The Bully dog 6 position killed my MPG at 11 mpg, the Power Pup killed it also, not as bad as the 6 pos but went to 13.2 mpg. I will see when My DP tuner F5 shows up to see how it does. But how can an engine get that much more HP/tq by adding fuel but at the same time get metter mpg?? Mods I have as of now are an S&B intake, EGT-boost-tranny guages and a Magnaflow 4" turbo back exhaust. Would love to do more for bigger hp/tq numbers but I don't want to sacrifice mpg.

Trying to get a picture on how all this stuff works

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 PM

Claims by some aftermarket manufactures of 4-6 mpg improvements in mileage is completely bogus. Now, with that said, yes you can improve your mileage a bit with a properly tuned chip (*cough*bullydog sucks*cough*), AND stay out of the pedal. In other words, resist the urge to use that additional power. 1/2 to 1 mpg gain can be achieved. Beyond that takes a lot of luck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM

the key is to keep your foot out of it. every time you hotrod it or blow smoke, all you're doing is dumping diesel out your tailpipe. Boost is also your enemy when it comes to mpg. I'd bet you could get 5mpg better cruising at 60-65 vs. 70-75.

stock my truck got about 14 city and 18 straight highway. i'll update with some #s on my dp once i run a few tanks through it.

2002 Arizona Beige F250 Ext Cab Short Bed. 7.3L 6spd 4x4 140k
2" leveling kit, 285/75 Mastercraft AT2's,Napa BFF, DiPricol Pryo/Boost, DP F5 NS/stock/hi/40/80/120/140agg-lope, Toolbox, Audio goodies, IH shiftknob
muffler delete, CCV reroute, AIH/Foil delete,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode