thinkin about getting a DP tuner - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mxchase, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 1296 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

thinkin about getting a DP tuner

everyone seems to like their stuff...im relatively new to the whole diesel scene.

Whats the best package deal to get from them? like what chip (im thinking the f5 with the f5 switch)...i want one file for fuel econo which i am guessing is the "80hp econo" and then probably another one for the "120hp race" and the "100hp performance"

anyone have something similar or any suggestions.

i plan to do a torque converter and valve body and maybe output shaft for the tranny. other mods will be a turbo back straight piped or gutted cat. (hoping to do two 5 inch stacks) intake and maybe new turbo impeller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:14 AM
OBS

maybe an 80 tow setting?

97 F-250 7.3 psd 4x4: homemade Intake, fpr mod, IDM mod, 18k mod, HX mod, a pillar w/ 3 autometer gauges, 3" downpipe, minus muffler and cat.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 AM
4cstr

what do you plan on doing with your truck...tow...play...both??

Jody has a whole mess of tunes that covers nearly any spectrum of possibilities...from running NOS to 'pane to stock.

I have
high idle
40hp tow
80hp econo
120hp race

I don't really need anything more.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 AM

Call and talk with Jody or Diane or Bill - they will not steer you wrong.

Fill out your sig so we know what's been done to your truck. Really hard to steer you in the right direction without a little more info.

Jody will probably steer you in the direction of the 80e and the 120, skipping over the 100 file, but maybe not.

A tow file would be a good thing if you ever hook up to anything.

I don't thing you can get anything but the F5 and controller from them currently.

For the transmission, I suggest the BTS, but I know RacerX and Richter69 put out some very reputable stuff as well. A BTS converter will probably just shred the rest of your internals and you will want to consider front pump modifications if you're gonna have it all the way out. The output shaft won't hurt, but things like snap rings and seals and other internal hard parts are your first concern unless you're changing out turbo & injectors.

Call DP-Tuner for their advice. They won't steer you wrong!

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

plainred;

do you think i need a full tranny? dont really want to spend the 5k on a billet one...so a converter and what other things do you think i will need.

like i said, i am new to the diesel scene and trying to gather some knowledge, everyone around here seems really helpful! and i appreciate it. i do not have my truck yet, im still deciding between an 05 6.0 and an 03 7.3..but i will have the truck in the up coming week.

my plans for the truck are not to extensive for towing..just 2 honda aquatrax jetskis. if i need to tow other stuff i will but its not my main need of the truck. id like the truck to be quick when i want it to be quick and economic when i am on long drives, i race dirtbikes and am often going out on long drives to tracks.

my plans for the powerplant are the dp tuner, turbo back exhaust with maybe stacks or just out the back, (a gutted cat or catless), a good intake system and maybe a new turbo impeller, front mount intercooler and silicone hose from turbonetics? dont know if thats needed.

not in my immediate plans or anytime soon but i may do a turbonetics turbo eventually because the owner lives down the street from my dad.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Slow 6.0

buy the 05, it will make 100 hp more at the wheels with a chip, the torq shift is solid and youll have a newer truck

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
buy the 05, it will make 100 hp more at the wheels with a chip, the torq shift is solid and youll have a newer truck
I wouldn't want to take a risk on a 6.0 just to get the TorqueShift trans. Would probably cost less in the end to build a 4r100 rather than trade trucks. Those 6.0's are fast, but the 7.3 is tried and true reliable.

2002 F250 Extended cab XLT 4X4 long bed.
Intake, muffler delete, DP-Tuner

1997 F250 Regular cab 5 speed 4x4.
3in Downpipe, Stage 1 sticks, solid flywheel conversion, 6 position chip. Work truck.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Slow 6.0

pay to play, u build a 400 rwhp 7.3L and u bet ur gonna have things fail. atleast the 6.0s got a warranty.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gear
I wouldn't want to take a risk on a 6.0 just to get the TorqueShift trans. Would probably cost less in the end to build a 4r100 rather than trade trucks. Those 6.0's are fast, but the 7.3 is tried and true reliable.

What risk is that? Other then Head Studs??? You need to read up on the 6.0... That motor is leaps and bounds better then the 7.3...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
What risk is that? Other then Head Studs??? You need to read up on the 6.0... That motor is leaps and bounds better then the 7.3...
Well, I know of MANY 6.0 owners that truly hate there engine but love their truck. I can honestly say I don't know of a single one of them that that hasn't heavily used the warranty. VGT turbo issues, EGR issues, injector issues, coolant puking issues, head gasket issues, hard/no start issues, etc etc....... the only thing we have ever done to ANY of our 7.3 trucks is a CPS, and UVC harness, now you compare that to the list above. This isn't rumors or gossip, this is what I have witnessed first hand. I would love to have the power of a 6.0, but I love the simplicity of my 7.3 trucks in comparison. I don't disagree that a warranty would be nice, but I would just as soon have a truck that didn't need a warranty as heavily as most 6.0 trucks in my experience have.

2002 F250 Extended cab XLT 4X4 long bed.
Intake, muffler delete, DP-Tuner

1997 F250 Regular cab 5 speed 4x4.
3in Downpipe, Stage 1 sticks, solid flywheel conversion, 6 position chip. Work truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode