Towing settings on tuners and programers - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Big Jim Tbird, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1069 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Towing settings on tuners and programers

Looking at all the chips and programers mentioned on here they all recommend towing on the 40 horse setting. Could someone tell me why this is? To me that is when you need some serious hp towing a big load. Big Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Well the lower the hp setting on the chip/programmer the less fuel that is added to the motor. This in turn should keep the EGT's low while still giving you power.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well anytime a tuner says you can only tow with 40 hp tells me they are only dumping fuel in the motor and not adjusting anything else. I tow 24,000 on 75 hp and with cruise on 70 it will maintain it on any kind of hill and the egt will stay under 1,000. I have used several different chips and the one I'm using now is the only one that will do this. the others made power, but the egts were high. Late 99 cc drw 4.10 auto banks power elbow 4" exhaust 4" magnaflow muffler 6" tip K&N drop in filter Van Aiken 4 pos chip with Bully Dog Mo Pro 4 programing 360,000 miles with motor untouched 1 trans rebuild 2 converters and still rns like new. Big Jim
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Well anytime a tuner says you can only tow with 40 hp tells me they are only dumping fuel in the motor and not adjusting anything else.
Not exactly. Altitude, weight, gearing, etc all play a role in how each power setting will run, regardless of tuner brand. There are times when even the best programming needs to be turned down due to EGT's rising too high. The more power you add, the more fuel you are getting, and energy = heat. Besides, every single tuner manufacturer is going to stress safety first. Jody has live tuned my truck here in Colorado, and adjusted timing, fuel tables, shifting, ICP, etc. It's much harder now to get EGT's over the redline, but it's still possible in the higher HP tunes.

You can tow in the race tunes all day long, if EGT's stay below redline. When you hit mountains, that high performance program will run too hot. You have to cut back on fueling in order to keep the temperatures down. EGT's that are sustained too high for too long will start to melt pistons.

Right now with my current setup I can tow (and have done this quite a few times) in the 80 hp tune right up Eisenhower pass and several others. However I have a few other supporting mods that help me do this. Even with identical programming on a truck with a stock turbo and stock intercooler, they can't do that. I suppose I could try to make it up in the extreme race tune, but I would have to slow down a lot, and downshift and keep RPM's high enough to supply enough air to match the fueling. Why tow uphill at 50 mph when I can drop a setting, get lower EGT's, and run up a mountain grade at 70 mph?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 PM

Also... Just because Bully puppy calls it a 75hp tune... does not mean its a 75hp tune... I would bet the DP 40hp out pulls the 75hp bully puppy...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim Tbird
I tow 24,000 on 75 hp and with cruise on 70 it will maintain it on any kind of hill and the egt will stay under 1,000.
Where is your pyro probe located? Pre or post turbo. With a load like that and low temps im guessing post turbo in the downpipe:shrug:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecline
Where is your pyro probe located? Pre or post turbo. With a load like that and low temps im guessing post turbo in the downpipe:shrug:
If that's the case, EGT's can easily be well over 1300 degrees.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 01:19 PM

Egt

Remember one thing keep eye on EGT gauge. Keep it below 1050 after turbo and you can tow all day long. If you go higher then the turbo starts to straighten because of the heat then you have no power. I run over size injectors along with my Banks Big Hoss set on 100 along with other upgrades and have to keep eye on it if pulling grade or bucking head wind when towing my 29ft fifth wheel due to dumping more fuel with the injectors. I installed water injection this summer and now I can stay after it and temp stays at 800 unless I run out of water. Make sure just to keep eye on EGT and backout if temp rises past the breaking point.:smoke
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 04:45 PM

i dont think its the so much the turbo getting damaged with high egt's, its the aluminum pistons. Also a post turbo pyrometer is not nearly as accurate as a pre turbo, your egt's are probably on the hot side at 1050 post turbo.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:05 AM

I am running both egt before and after and yes the 800 is after on the down pipe and the before runs around 900-1000 from the drivers side manifold when towing and getting after it. Water starts spraying at 10lbs boost or 900 degrees pre turbo directly from the drivers side manifolds EGTprobe.
:smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode