a little confused - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 02bigstrokin, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1044 times.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 32
Points: 1,689
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a little confused

i am wanting to get a new chip for my 02 psd and i am a little confused about something. what in the hell is the 18k mod. do you run it with other chips or by itself or what? im thinking the dp tuner is the best from all im reading. so can i run te 18k and the dp? also the oil crossover line that dfuser sells, does that make a difference? thanks in advance for any replies.

03 cc, sb 2500hd lb7. 68,000 miles, afe stage 2, ppe boost increase valve, hypertech programmer, 285's k/o's and way more to come!
02bigstrokin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 189
Points: 3,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 18k mod tricks the computer into pumping up the oil pressure to your injectors. But I dont know if you can run the dp and the 18k mod
jebsurf is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Mafia Member #93
 
blk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 695
Points: 25,725
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bigstrokin
i am wanting to get a new chip for my 02 psd and i am a little confused about something. what in the hell is the 18k mod. do you run it with other chips or by itself or what? im thinking the dp tuner is the best from all im reading. so can i run te 18k and the dp? also the oil crossover line that dfuser sells, does that make a difference? thanks in advance for any replies.
Jebsurfer is right, The 18K mod ups the ICP (injector control pressure) which makes the fuel atomize better and in turn gives you added HP.

You can run the 18K by itself and you CAN run it with the DP tuner. You just need to tell Jody that you have it when you order you DP chip.

Honestly, I am not fond of the Dfuser crossover line (SORRY BILL!) because I like a hard line instead of hose. The only place I know of that sells the hard line one is ITP Diesel.com and it is like $70. Again that is my opinion and I am sure there is absolutly nothing wrong with Dfuser's!

~Jim

early 99 with some stuff on it
blk99 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 32
Points: 1,689
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks ill ask jody aboutwhat he thinks when i order the chip.

03 cc, sb 2500hd lb7. 68,000 miles, afe stage 2, ppe boost increase valve, hypertech programmer, 285's k/o's and way more to come!
02bigstrokin is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 65
Points: 479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blk99 is right, you can run the 18k mod with the chip, but personally I wouldn't. If I'm not mistaken one of the jobs of the chip is to increase the ICP so why do it twice? The 18k mod is really cheap and fairly easy but I kind of don't think it will make all that much difference with the chip as well, but like you said, ask Jody because he WILL know. Good luck and let us know how you like the chip when you get it.
crfracer is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 862
Points: 22,497
Thanks: 2
Thanked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Jody's tunes already call for higher ICP, and his tuning tables for ICP, fuel, shifting, etc all work together. It's best to run the chip by itself rather than stack with an 18K mod.
Pocket is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Mafia Member #93
 
blk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 695
Points: 25,725
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Of course, it is best to run just Jody's chip but I was just answering his question of, could you run them together.

early 99 with some stuff on it
blk99 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 862
Points: 22,497
Thanks: 2
Thanked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk99
Of course, it is best to run just Jody's chip but I was just answering his question of, could you run them together.
, you kinda answered your own question when you said "it's best to run just Jody's chip" :tango

The 18K mod fools the PCM into thinking the ICP is low, so the PCM bumps up the pressure. Since Jody's chips already bump up the ICP pressure, then the chip is now going to raise the ICP even higher than what the tuning originally calls for. The problem is that on a single stock HPOP, it can only put out so much oil. If the chip is calling for as much oil as the HPOP can put out - then you stack the 18K mod on top, now the HPOP isn't keeping up with what is demanded and you'll have a truck that will flatline on power in the upper RPM band. A long time ago some folks ran 18K mods stacked with Jody's chip on a dyno and found that they lost peak power.

In short, can you run them together? Yes. Should you? No.
Pocket is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 32
Points: 1,689
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the replies, ill just get the chip and be done with it>

03 cc, sb 2500hd lb7. 68,000 miles, afe stage 2, ppe boost increase valve, hypertech programmer, 285's k/o's and way more to come!
02bigstrokin is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 189
Points: 3,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket
, you kinda answered your own question when you said "it's best to run just Jody's chip" :tango

The 18K mod fools the PCM into thinking the ICP is low, so the PCM bumps up the pressure. Since Jody's chips already bump up the ICP pressure, then the chip is now going to raise the ICP even higher than what the tuning originally calls for. The problem is that on a single stock HPOP, it can only put out so much oil. If the chip is calling for as much oil as the HPOP can put out - then you stack the 18K mod on top, now the HPOP isn't keeping up with what is demanded and you'll have a truck that will flatline on power in the upper RPM band. A long time ago some folks ran 18K mods stacked with Jody's chip on a dyno and found that they lost peak power.

In short, can you run them together? Yes. Should you? No.

I could have not said it better myself:Thumbup: ! Good info
jebsurf is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome