New Guy Needs Help........ - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by knzj, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 696 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

New Guy Needs Help........

My first time so please bear with me.....:shrug:
Live in TX, 2000 Lariat PSD, ~85k, Ext-Cab, 2WD, LWB
Mainly daily commute 25-30miles, but 4-5x/yr. I haul cattle w/28ft gooseneck 50-100 miles.
Desiring best fuel mileage but still need performance for cattle hauls. Don't need a race truck, just reliability.
Was thinking:
4-5" turbo-back SS exhaust (Magna-Flow?,Is SS worth it?)
K&N Series 75 intake?
DP Tuner w/stock, 80 ECON, and 80 Tow settings?
This is my first day on the forum and I have already learned a lot from ya'll.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 AM
TDG Single Club Member#14

Send a message via MSN to big_rooster
Where you at in texas? Dfuser in georgetown can hook you up with whatever you need. Welcome to the forums.

2003 F-250 6.0 liter crew cab lariat 4x4 short bed, S&B intake, MBRP 4" turbo back straight piped jones, SCT livewire, : 2 jl audio 12W3V3's with jl audio 500/1, autometer sport comp gauges, 6.5 inch pro comp lift, 37x13.5 Super Swamper M16's
http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z319/big_rooster69/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Great to be here!! I am about 40-50 miles North of Georgetown in Lorena, just south of Waco. Thanks for the tip I will definitely look him up!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knzj
My first time so please bear with me.....:shrug:
Live in TX, 2000 Lariat PSD, ~85k, Ext-Cab, 2WD, LWB
Mainly daily commute 25-30miles, but 4-5x/yr. I haul cattle w/28ft gooseneck 50-100 miles.
Desiring best fuel mileage but still need performance for cattle hauls. Don't need a race truck, just reliability.
Was thinking:
4-5" turbo-back SS exhaust (Magna-Flow?,Is SS worth it?)
K&N Series 75 intake?
DP Tuner w/stock, 80 ECON, and 80 Tow settings?
This is my first day on the forum and I have already learned a lot from ya'll.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Go with a 4" turbo-back exhaust. Pick any name brand manufacturer you find. Almost all are good but try and use one of the site vendors for the best support.
A cold air larger intake helps a bunch but I warn you, most 7.3's will get turbo surge with the larger intake. You will find lot's of opinions on turbo surge as to whether it is harmful or not but, I and many believe it is. Then you will need to buy an ATS housing (or a larger turbo) to eliminate surge. So that is another 450 bucks.
Then go with a DP tuner chip. I like the 80 econo for my daily commuting and I'll let others chime in on what tow setting you should get, as I do not tow regularly.
BTW I increased my mileage by 2mgp on my commution in the 80 econo setting.
Your last worry is, once you have done this stuff, you will find your truck has more power than you imagined and you can go much further. You could get the "modding disease" which won't hurt you but, will make a dent in your pocketbook.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM

i did the 4" turbo back on my 7.3 with the volant cold air induct and yes it is true... the surge is awful.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the heads up.......I think I'm already feeling the symptoms of "modding" disease!!
I will definitely check with ATS and the turbo surge issue.
Some of the exhaust packages I am looking at have separate packages for "tuner" setups. Does this make a huge difference since the tuner purchase may be a while after the exhaust and intake purchase?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I checked out the housing at the ATS site. These guys look like true professionals! Is this housing something I can do?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 PM

4" turbo back will help. I opted not to spend the extra $$ for SS and it's been fine.

Almost any intake other than stock or K&N will be good. I prefer the Ford AIS but you probably have already read about Tymar's, AFE's, Volant's, etc...

Sounds good on the DP Tuner except I would opt for the 60tow instead of the 80tow. Which leads me to the standard recomendations of GAUGES. The 80tow can still get things pretty hot - especially in your part of the country and hauling that much weight.

Deal with surge if and when you get it. The ATS housing is a great option. I encourage you to read through as many threads as you can and you will find more than a few folks that have a very different opinion about ATS being "true professionals".

$.02
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHunter
4" turbo back will help. I opted not to spend the extra $$ for SS and it's been fine.

Almost any intake other than stock or K&N will be good. I prefer the Ford AIS but you probably have already read about Tymar's, AFE's, Volant's, etc...

Sounds good on the DP Tuner except I would opt for the 60tow instead of the 80tow. Which leads me to the standard recomendations of GAUGES. The 80tow can still get things pretty hot - especially in your part of the country and hauling that much weight.

Deal with surge if and when you get it. The ATS housing is a great option. I encourage you to read through as many threads as you can and you will find more than a few folks that have a very different opinion about ATS being "true professionals".

$.02
Exactly the information I needed FH, thanks!! You anticipated my other questions about gauges etc. It appears that most everyone is a fan of DPtuner. I look forward to giving them a call.
It looks like I will probably do the exhaust and intake first, deal with turbo surge if needed, then maybe look into a tuner. Either way, it looks like I came to the right place to save a bunch of time in research and $$$.
Thanks guys!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode