Another tranny, should I ditch my DP tuner? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by circlev, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 920 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Another tranny, should I ditch my DP tuner?

Lost overdrive and the tranny started to heat today. It's been just about a year since I had it rebuilt by a reputable local shop. I'm running a '01 7.3 crewcab 4x4
with napa intake, stock exhaust, and a DP 4 pos. chip. I don't tow on a regular basis but farm work does have it's demands. I really don't want to go through another. I've got about 120,000 on the truck but will probably drive it another 50k or more. It was supposed to have all the heavy duty updates in the tranny rebuild. I usually run the 80 hp tune but am careful about egt's and tranny temp. It hardly ever gets above 150. I'd love to keep my chip but can't dump a ton into a custom tranny. I had a BTS valve body in before the rebuild but this shop prefered to build their own and I didn't want to risk my warranty. My dad-in-law runs an Edge on his 6.0's and has never had an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Kip
In the passing lane

I'll bet your local shop didn't do what they told you they did and they just can't build them like BTS or ATS or RacerX. But I don't think it has much to do with the chip

2005 2500HD DIRTYMAX 6in lift, dual exhaust, afe airbox. Tuner soon to come

2001 PSD shortbed crewcab, ATS tranny edge juice w/attitude, Superchips programmer, Gauges, exhaust, 4inch lift w/35s, (SOLD)

Originally Posted by sledneck57
Your sweating like a queer holding a hot dog.lol.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 PM

I'd blame tranny shop over chip. I have a TS chip and most people say the're tranny killers and mine is fine. I run it in 140 exreme most of the time and I've yet to have a problem. Been running it for a couple of years now. I don't exactly baby it either.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM

i'd suspect junk work from the tranny shop. there is no reason a "heavy duty built" tranny should fail that fast even with a chip. The reason you buddy with the edge doesn't have problems is probably because that edge isn't making as much power as your DPtuner.

There's probably a reason they didn't want to mess with your BTS valve body. Sounds like you need a new tranny shop. An expensive tranny once is still cheaper than two chitty ones.

Either way, it's not your chip's fault....unless for some reason your chip got funky tranny tuning, or wasn't installed correctly. A call to Jody may be in order to ensure your chip has the appropriate tranny tuning for your needs. My point is, properly set up and installed, a DP chip is no more likely to trash your slushbox than any other tuner out there.

Good luck
Paul

edit: what warranty are you speaking of? did the tranny shop give you a warranty on the rebuild?

2002 Arizona Beige F250 Ext Cab Short Bed. 7.3L 6spd 4x4 140k
2" leveling kit, 285/75 Mastercraft AT2's,Napa BFF, DiPricol Pryo/Boost, DP F5 NS/stock/hi/40/80/120/140agg-lope, Toolbox, Audio goodies, IH shiftknob
muffler delete, CCV reroute, AIH/Foil delete,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM

There's a reason folks recommend BTS, John Woods, and RacerX transmissions. At least the transmissions you pick up from the top builders will work like they are supposed to, and are warrantied like they should be. Pick a local builder and it's a gamble. There are good ones out there, but there are 10 times as many bad ones.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 PM

I've heard SO many stories about guys paying local shops for "heavy duty rebuilds" and then when they have another shop rebuild the same tranny (key here being that its back in the shop in the first place), the new shop comes back and says the installed parts are nothing special. I think your best bet if you're going to go with a local shop is to bring him the parts you want used and just ask him to assemble it. At least that way the only variable is labor and you know you're starting with good parts. Typically, though, this results in the local mechanic being a douchebag about it since he couldn't rip you on the parts too. If you just drop your junk off and say "make it HD," the guy can buy whatever he wants and charge you the same, reputable shop or not. I've never been impressed by any local mechanic I've used, ESPECIALLY local transmission shops. What a bunch of 'necks. The big guys are famous for a reason.

2002 Arizona Beige F250 Ext Cab Short Bed. 7.3L 6spd 4x4 140k
2" leveling kit, 285/75 Mastercraft AT2's,Napa BFF, DiPricol Pryo/Boost, DP F5 NS/stock/hi/40/80/120/140agg-lope, Toolbox, Audio goodies, IH shiftknob
muffler delete, CCV reroute, AIH/Foil delete,
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
fordt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeith
big guys are famous for a reason.
:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode