BullyDog outlook - my story - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by MileHigh, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 799 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down BullyDog outlook - my story

So, first day on the board, thought I would share my recent BD experience. I have a 4 position chip(off, 1 2 3) in my 01 F350. I bought the chip from my mechanic when he traded in his 01 for an 07. The chip has always worked great, at some point I will find out what exactly it is. I recently purchased a 33' 5th wheel and wanted some better monitoring of my rig. I purchased the bulldog outlook monitor. Installed it last weekend, pre-turbo EGT, plugged in the MAP sensor etc. etc. etc, followed instructions exactly.(wasnt really impressed with the quality of the unit or the material. Connectors were falling off as I was assembling, button was falling off the monitor)
Regardless, BD says on their site and in their literature that it works with most every chip...well, maybe. I did learn that the ONLY thing this monitor can do is watch the EGT's and boost. period. I called BD to ask WTF as I couldnt believe I just paid $350.00 for a EGT and boost gauge. The "Senior Tech" told me that it must be my chip....ok. Then I asked him why the "service engine soon" light kept coming on then fading off? again, my chips fault. Ok.....so then why did the transmission all of sudden starting shifting like a dog, no passing gear(foot to the floor, no workies). and the motor was just dogging bad., No power at all. Guess what...the tech said it was the outlook monitor and my chip contending for control and I needed to buy the BD downloader to make it work. I asked about the statement on their site about it working with "any aftermarket chip" --> "The Outlook Monitor offers universal compatibility with all diesel chips, performance modules and tuners", he said, well, I guess not your chip.

Long story short, my diesel shop is taking the outlook back..not necessarily knocking BD, I am sure some people out there are really happy with them. Me? Not so much......... :thanks:

01 F350 "The Bus"
Long Bed,Crew Cab, 4x4 Super Duty
7.3l PowerStroke
AFE Stage 2, AFE 4" Exhaust, Powerslots, Hawk SuperDutys,DP-Tuner F5 and sweet tunes, Autometer pod
Ranchos, BFG AT/KO-285, Setup for the 33' Fiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 AM

Yeah not too many people here are impressed with Bully Dog. I guess you found out the hard way as to why.

On another topic, you're just down the road from me, neighbor.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Thats to bad! Got to hate it when you buy a product and it doesn`t work like they ( maker) says it should! I`m not a BD person!

FOR SALE 2002 F250 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat Dark shadow Gray W/ Custom Flame Paint Job in Pearl Silver and Purple Tips Pinstriped in Burple. Icon 12.5" Lift with OneUpOffroad 5" Traction Bar Block system, OUO Drive Line Drop Bracket,Clocked Transfer Case, SS Brake Lines, Dual shocks UpFront,Mickey thompson 38X15.50R18 tires, Wels Racing Dune 8 18X10 wheels,Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares, Reflexion steel hood, ARE Z Series Shell, chrome Tow Hook,Putco Flame Grille, Trenz billet rear Veiw Mirror & Flame Pedals, New Image Flame Gauges, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, MBRP, Cools Duals T-304SS w/Custom Flame T-304 SS Tips,Autometer Z Series Pyro,Boost,Tranny Gauges,Loud Kenwoo/Kicker 1600 + RMS Stereo System, Husky Floor Liners, More!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

"On another topic, you're just down the road from me, neighbor."
I am just down the road. And in Parker quite a bit. Am sure I have seen your rig plowing down Parker Road a few times on my way to work off Lincoln. I have built a number of big jeeps over the years so big trucks w/big tires always grab my attention.
Never was a huge BD fan, this just made it crystal clear as to why.

01 F350 "The Bus"
7.3l PowerStroke
AFE Stage 2, AFE 4" Exhaust, Powerslots, Hawk SuperDutys,DP-Tuner F5 and sweet tunes, Autometer pod
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Well if I knew what your truck looked like, I'll be sure and blow some smoke your way when I see you :tease
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket
Well if I knew what your truck looked like, I'll be sure and blow some smoke your way when I see you :tease
sent pm

01 F350 "The Bus"
7.3l PowerStroke
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 PM

get a dp-tuner f-5 switch with a quad pod and be dont with it, you'll love the chip and it will look good in a quad pod

2000 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White, 305x70x16 BFG A/T K/O, 16x10 Alum. Wheels, XM and other stereo goodies, Autometer Ultralite Guages (TRANS, PYRO, BOOST) 3.73's, Dp-Tuner F5 w/ 60tow, 80tow, 80econo, 100, 120, 140 :Thumbup: , AFE Stage II, 4" SS Sraight Pipe, B & W Turnover and Tow n Stow receiver hitch, 08' Tailgate (thanx to Blowin' Smoke) rhino-liner, 05' Grille, newer drink holder, Kobalt full width chest, boost fooler
SOLD 07/08

1989 Dodge W250 Regular Cab (purchased from original owner 10/31/09)
AT, A/C
120,00 miles
needs some goodies
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH MILEAGE ELITE
get a dp-tuner f-5 switch with a quad pod and be dont with it, you'll love the chip and it will look good in a quad pod

I've got the exact setup in my truck and it looks awesome.:Thumbup: I painted the bezel on the pod switch black to match my z-series gauge bezels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode