garrett bb or Tn bb - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Chad Mayhue, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1200 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

garrett bb or Tn bb

trying to decide which turbo to go with, I do alot of heavy towing so i want to keep egts down and still have a good fun street truck I am going with stage2 split inj with some of jodys tunes but dont know which turbo is best. I know the tn is rebuildable which the garrett is not. can some of you give your opinoin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 04:59 AM

I have the garret and its out of this world. my stock turbo i couldnt hear it inside the truck with the windows up but the garret sounds like a jet in my cab! the added power is about 1/3 more to the wheels with exaust,intake. had it and been rodding it for almost a year and its amazing love it.

hadnt heard all the best from TN single turbos for the 7.3 think fairly new. expensive twin TN is good
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Sometimes the jet sound gets annoying and you want a quieter turbo. I've ridden in a truck with a 38R and the whistle is awesome daily driving, but towing it just gets horrendously annoying and basically get a headache. With a stock injectored truck, youre not really going to see much of a difference other than sound, which i think is what 40's is praising the turbo about, because of the sound, not much more. When you upgrade to larger injectors a better turbo really shines. My TN is not loud, you can hear it, but going down the highway with the radio on and under a load you dont really notice it. You know it's there but it's not annoying like the Garrett.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStroker
Sometimes the jet sound gets annoying and you want a quieter turbo. I've ridden in a truck with a 38R and the whistle is awesome daily driving, but towing it just gets horrendously annoying and basically get a headache. With a stock injectored truck, youre not really going to see much of a difference other than sound, which i think is what 40's is praising the turbo about, because of the sound, not much more. When you upgrade to larger injectors a better turbo really shines. My TN is not loud, you can hear it, but going down the highway with the radio on and under a load you dont really notice it. You know it's there but it's not annoying like the Garrett.
the garret isnt just sound it adds 90 horse to the wheels. Im putting a large TN in with my garret later on. there both good but as a single ive been told by people who have had both that the garret is much better for multiple reasons. and if you dont like the turbo noise then get a gaser
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin40s
the garret isnt just sound it adds 90 horse to the wheels. Im putting a large TN in with my garret later on. there both good but as a single ive been told by people who have had both that the garret is much better for multiple reasons. and if you dont like the turbo noise then get a gaser
I don't know who told you a garett bb will add 90 horse.:umno:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navistarboy
I don't know who told you a garett bb will add 90 horse.:umno:
everywhere that sells them- http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...t_PowerMax.pdf http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=225[/url]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 PM

So if banks told you that you had a 250hp truck, you add their products and it adds 155hp, you'd then say you had a 405hp truck? Come on.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStroker
So if banks told you that you had a 250hp truck, you add their products and it adds 155hp, you'd then say you had a 405hp truck? Come on.
i posted a dyno of garret running a stock turbo dyno then with the garret and to the wheels with that truck added 90 and when i had mine installed it added 70hp to the wheels from the dyno and im sure more for someone else because i had my stock turbo pushed to 30psi so not huge gain from new one.

and im not going off of anything like what banks or other companys say for a perfomance product such as this product will add 100horse!!! thats not rwhp i am talking about rwhp and is backed up by dynos so i dont know why your such a angry TN fanboy. TN's are great im adding a big one with my garret you just need to relax
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 AM

No, just because i have a TN turbo on my truck, doesnt mean im a "TN fanboy".... I just find it funny that with stock injectors still, you actually think that before with your stock turbo you had 2xx hp, and now with just the bb garrett, you added 90hp just by doing the turbo, and not increasing fuel? I could understand if you had hybrids on the stock turbo still, and then upgraded a 1.15 38R, you *could* see a gain of 90hp, but to be quite honest, that pic you posted isnt accurate for a stock injectored truck, sorry. Call up any diesel company that sells them, ask them if you had a completely stock turbo with stock injectors still, then upgraded to the 38r, would it give you a 90hp increase? No.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 AM

hahaha allright. it added 70rwhp to mine and spools quick so thats pretty good imo. I wasnt dissing TN, i even said im adding one! just telling him how my garret runs because thats what this thread is about and whether those numbers are accurate from what garret/dealers claim it still is somewhat close on a tuned truck :seesaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode