dp tuner problem again...this time with the excursion - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by joe dirt, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1669 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

dp tuner problem again...this time with the excursion

cant believe it...we have been having a problem with the excursion for a few weeks now,...the glow plugs just arnt working...we took the ex into the stereo king and had them install a viper 560x remote start and alarm system (same sys. i have in my truck)...the next morning we tryed the remote start and it just started cranking away like crazy blowing massive amounts of white smoke...i eventually had to get in the ex and push the throttle while cranking...still blew some white smoke but it eventually started...we had to do this every morning...
took the rig into york automotive and had them check the uvc harness...replace the relay...did a pulse check....the computer came back reading that air temp was -40 deg. water temp read 203 deg. and then checked the pugs themselfs...
he told us that the curcuit from the ecu that goes to the relay was dead....told us that the alarm install was done wrong and shorted out the ecu....
last night i pulled out the dp chip and wated till this morning to use the remote start....guess what?...it fired up without a single problem...no white smoke...
for some reason jody's chip has blocked the glow plug usage in the ecu....once its warmed up it starts fine and runs great with the chip in...but it still throws 670 and 683 codes while the chip is in....

cant believe im gunna have to send both our f5 chips in to him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

update...

she just got back from dropping the kids off at daycare...the ex was reving itself up to 1500 rpm or so then dropping back down almost stalling itself and clacking...but with pedal pushed and driving it was fine....at idle it was stumbling very bad...

i just installed the chip back in and it runs perfect...havnt scanned the codes yet....but it runs perfect with the chip in.......almost like the ecu is dependant on the chip????

and the cps was just replaced on recall...but its not acting like a bad cps does...tack still works and hasnt actually stalled yet...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Its not the chip causing the issue. DP is the ONLY chip that is PATS compatable. I have an Elite Chip the the X and the PATS light flashes because the TS software is not compatable. Not a biggey because it goes away but...

I would bet that the alarm is messing with something. You say that the "relay" was replaced? There is no GPR on the X, it is a Glow Plug Controler. Just trying to figure out what might have been replaced.

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would get the alarm disconnected, remove the chip, and drive it for a few days to see what is wrong with it. You obviuosly have something that is out of wack that needs to be isolated.

05/2009 F350 2WD CC DUALLY EBONY (Inside/Out) dropped 3/5 on 305/45-22 - dubbed "Cat Woman"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

im thinking i might have it fugured out...i put the dp chip back in and scanned it...sure enough...p0670 code again...

for some reason the excursion has the same or close to the same relays as my 99.5 superduty f250...i cant seem to find a glow plug contoller module

here are the relays on the excursion....

and the relays on my truck....

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Hey Travis, like I said, really try your chip tonight and I bet your code issue goes away. Then have Jody burn it for a PMT and you should be set.

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

done...just put my chip in and cleared the codes...emagine that,..no more codes been set yet...and believe it or not,..it pulles alot harder than the other dp chip that was in there...
im just going to leave mine in there and send hers back with instructions to re-burn it to my specs...im sure he will take care of it for me...

any idea why the excursion is set up with relays??...everything ive read so far says all ex's have controller units????
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Excursions and Cali trucks have Glow Plug modules. IMO, they are nicer and work better.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaggydogg
Excursions and Cali trucks have Glow Plug modules. IMO, they are nicer and work better.

did ya see the pics i posted??
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM

one relay is for the glow plugs (GPR) and the other (rights side pic ) is for the air intake heater (AIH)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode