F5 vs SCT X3 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by OzPowerstroker, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 739 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

F5 vs SCT X3

I am about to order some tunes from DP and just want to hear any comments and advice on the F5 chip vs the SCT X3 flash tuner. My preference is the chip, but as I live in Australia I am concerned that if I have any issues with the chip it will take time and money sending it back and forward to the US. Therefore is the X3 a more reliable way to go and what are the disadvantages / advantages compared to the F5 (apart form holding less files)? All advice welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Normaly I would say the chip... but in your instance I would go with the SCT...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Normaly I would say the chip... but in your instance I would go with the SCT...
I'm going to agree with this. Since you're in Australia you're better off having something that files can be e-mailed to you.

Just from what I know of these options, a clear advantage that I can see to the F5 is the fact that programs can be changed on the fly, and if you're into looks, the display is kinda cool.

Advantages to the X-Cal-3 that I can see is the fact that you can use it as a code reader and in your case, files can be e-mailed to you and then downloaded to the X-Cal-3, then to your truck. The only real disadvantage to it is you can't carry more than 3 tunes with you, and you can't switch on the fly. I don't see these as disadvantages, because if you need three different tunes in between times you can get to your computer, something's kind of wrong, and switching on the fly isn't that big of a deal to most, unless you're into racing at stoplights and run an economy tune daily driving.

Good luck with your decision, I hope you get what's best for you.

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
TDG Rocks!

I'd do everything that you are ever going to do to said truck. I mean trans, Injectors, turbo. then buy the DP you can get up 12 differant files so how could you go wrong??? if truck was complete you would never need to get new tunes. IMO

The Rig:
1997 ford ex cab lb. dp tuner f5 DIY intake MBRP 4" 285/75 R16 kickin stereo...

tdg BOMB squad #0
singles #137
Outlaw#21

Amsoil
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree that the X3 would be better in my case, and I like the fact that I can use it to read and clear codes also. With getting files emailed, would I need any special software to store, read and upload / download these files? Do you guys know if DP offer this service / option?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzPowerstroker
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree that the X3 would be better in my case, and I like the fact that I can use it to read and clear codes also. With getting files emailed, would I need any special software to store, read and upload / download these files? Do you guys know if DP offer this service / option?

Everything you need to download and install tunes to your SCT is avalable from SCT's website. Its really very easy.

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Smokin'

If you're getting big oil and injectors... DP F5.

If you stay with stock oil and injectors... SCT X3.

Jody can't do as much with the programming on the SCT unit as he can with his own chip... this is coming from Jody himself when I talked to him at the Dillsburg Dyno event this fall...

2001 F350 Platinum
12.0 @ 110 FUEL ONLY
11.62 @ 115.79 SINGLE STAGE
SWAMPED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode