2002 with zf-6, gauge selections? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bowfan, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1443 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

2002 with zf-6, gauge selections?

Not sure if I'm asking in the right forum category, but before I make any modifications or put on a chip I want to see a baseline of behavior.

Stock 2002 7.3L zf-6 4x4 hydraulic winch.

Curious what type of gauge combo's people with manual transmissions run. I know the autos need the temp gauge, and I've read that some MT driver's put a temp sensor in a hole drilled in the PTO cover. Mine has a PTO hyd pump so that placement is out.

#1 EGT
#2 ???
#3 ???

or keep it simple and just go with 1 EGT gauge on the steering column?

thanks for sharing your experiences and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 AM

EGT and boost psi are all I have.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to joebob3093
i have pyro and boost, but i have a fuel PSI ready to go in.

{95 F250 Powerstroke XLT} 5 spd, Wildman 6 pos. chip, custom IC, ADs, AFE stage 2 intake, 3" down pipe to custom 5in stack. EBPV break, shimed FPR, idm mod by mattymx, CCV mod, Leveling Kit, diprocol egt and boost guages.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 AM

I have my pyro on the steering column and on the A-pillar I have a Termy Scan Gauge (bottom), DiPricol Optix boost gauge (middle), and when the big brown truck comes, a DiPricol Optix electric fuel pressure gauge (top).

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies guys!

So fuel and boost would be good for the other two.

I had never heard of a " Termy Scan Gauge ", but after looking it up, it sounds like a great choice, although a bit spendy for me right now. I'll have to read up on that one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfan View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

So fuel and boost would be good for the other two.

I had never heard of a " Termy Scan Gauge ", but after looking it up, it sounds like a great choice, although a bit spendy for me right now. I'll have to read up on that one.
Boost is more of a gee-whiz gauge, although I did use mine to figure out that I had a loose clamp after R/R'ing my turbo to install the non-EBPV pedistal. Fuel pressure is nice to have but since I have an AirDog, I suspect that'll be a gee-whiz gauge as well but at least I won't have a dead hole anymore.

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Another day in paradise

I got duplicates for all my "idiot" gauges. Hopefully I'll get a true heads-up to any potential problems.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
Boost is more of a gee-whiz gauge, although I did use mine to figure out that I had a loose clamp after R/R'ing my turbo to install the non-EBPV pedistal. Fuel pressure is nice to have but since I have an AirDog, I suspect that'll be a gee-whiz gauge as well but at least I won't have a dead hole anymore.
The boost psi gauge is mandatory if you are messing with the turbo or w/g.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM
7.3 addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73 View Post
EGT and boost psi are all I have.
me too.
start the mods with intake and exhaust and maybe a fpr shim.

1) 99 f-350 srw 7.3 6pos. bully dog, afe intake, mrbp 4" exhaust,250,000 miles and still rollin.
2) 2000 excursion 7.3 afe intake, mrbp 4" exhaust. chip coming
3) NEW TO ME2000 cc drw 7.3 let the mods begin
4) FOR SALE 87 f250 6.9 9' utility body.
5) SOLD 91 f150 good truck just well used.Gonna miss the old girl allways started even after sitting for 6 months.

I think i'm trailer poor ) 22' w\18' tilt car hauler, 18' flat bed, 2 horse D&D, 12' utility, 19' "v" nose, and 37' 5er

"quote from tank"
"I use baby wipes.....

Because if you think that a wadded up piece of paper is actually getting the chit off of your butt.....then I have to ask a question....

.....if you wiped a turd on your arm....would you just use a paper towel to get the turd off?.....or would you wash your arm?...

...let that thought roll around in your head for a moment...

" thank you tank for that insightful thought

#46 AMERICAN (blood) club
#241 singles club
# ? Dually club
# ? Excursion club
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I figure the fp and boost aren't absolutely necessary but like a compression test, and checking the fuel mileage regularly, hopefully give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the overall health of the motor. Of course the one that I need the most, makes me the most nervous, drilling into an exhaust manifold or up pipe for the EGT sensor. I've been looking at pics like those found at dieselsite.com that show the sensor in place and trying to decide if it's a DIY job for me I do all my own maint & repairs on my cars & Jeeps, but seems like that task could go bad in a hurry if it's done on the truck.

My truck was a fleet vehicle and seems to have been well maintained and the fleet was kept uniform and unmodified. My factory air box is intact, no broken parts but it will be the first thing to be swapped out. I just want to see how each mod affects it. Then decide on the exhaust mod. Then chip... Hopefully that will give me a pretty happy feeling I guess if I get a fp gauge, I'd probably check out the fpr shimming too.

I carried home a load of composted manure the other day and had to downshift a bit when I was climbing a fairly steep hill at a low speed, around 30-40mph the other day. After reading all the posts I'm thinking the whole time, I wonder what's happening inside, I want this engine to last! I've been trying to keep the RPMs under 2100 mainly. Between 1500-2100. Not sure what most people try to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrknow View Post
I got duplicates for all my "idiot" gauges. Hopefully I'll get a true heads-up to any potential problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73 View Post
The boost psi gauge is mandatory if you are messing with the turbo or w/g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersv View Post
me too.
start the mods with intake and exhaust and maybe a fpr shim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode