propane injection - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rebelgump44, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 3547 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

propane injection

i have a 01 7.3. i was thinkin about puttin propane injection in it. I was wonderin what kinda cons that might have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Biggest con is having your engine block in pieces on the highway.

Propane used in VERY SMALL quantities can improve mileage slightly. However, propane is not as popular as it used to be because of so many people blowing up engines with it. If you want to use pane for power, have a spare block ready to drop in at a moment's notice.

There is an issue of using propane on a 99-03 7.3L - and that issue is split shot injection. Your 01 stock injectors fire a pilot shot of fuel before the main event, and that pilot shot will prematurely ignite the propane, causing a huge advance in injection timing. It causes a very early and rapid spike in cylinder pressures, and since it ignites too soon, it really doesn't have a huge effect on mileage.

Best bet IMO is to stay away from propane.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok. thanks for the advice. any advice on what to do to increase power without havin to get a chip for my truck? or is that kinda my only option
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelgump44 View Post
ok. thanks for the advice. any advice on what to do to increase power without havin to get a chip for my truck? or is that kinda my only option
A chip is the best option. The only way to get more power is to add fuel.

Adding fuel any other way besides using a chip is either by way of adding drugs like propane, or by fooling sensors (the crude/cheap and not always best way of adding power).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i got ya. i heaard thar ts and dp tuners are pretty good for 7.3. are there any other chips out their that are pretty good for a 7.3
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 PM

I've run DP-Tuner for years and really like it. Other good chips that also come highly recommended are Power Hungry Performance, Diesel Innovations, Swamps, Gearhead Automotive, and Total Diesel Performance.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok cool. thanks for all your help
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM

think you would be hard pressed to, find someone with a manufactured system that has sustained the kind of damage described, unless there was something done.
In fact, most people have run their system for years and use it everyday. As long as you don't have to use a ton of propane, you will save $$ and the modest power gains of around 60-80 rwhp is a bonus.

Yes, most people who think a little is good, more will be better, don't understand the idea behind propane fumigation in diesel engines. They throw everything but the kitchen sink at their engines, stacked boxes, injectors, nitrous, then try to make big power with propane. Radical tuning has caused its share of windowed blocks as well. You would get the idea from reading some of these posts that propane is the only bad thing you could do to your truck.

Most of the damage done is from those running acetylene regulators, and bbq tanks, or some other homemade setups, trying to save a few bucks. There is no regulation, metering or control to such a setup and as such, they use far too much propane, rampantly, and then have problems. You don't save much money when something goes wrong.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powershotone View Post
think you would be hard pressed to, find someone with a manufactured system that has sustained the kind of damage described, unless there was something done.
Quite the opposite, actually. It happened a lot. In fact, there are fewer manufactured systems on the market today than there were 5 years ago. In addition, many vendors quit offering propane systems. Why? Because motors were popping left and right.

You don't hear as much about motors popping now because fewer and fewer people are running propane. 5 years ago if you attended any drag racing, sled pulling, or dyno event, there were plenty of trucks running propane. Today, you'll have a very very hard time finding a single truck still running propane. Most of those engines have already destroyed themselves.

How about those people using very small amounts of propane for mileage only? Well, quite a few of those engines have popped too. 5 years ago you would see diesels with propane tanks in the bed of the truck. Now, I can't remember the last time I saw one. Used to see a lot of people on vacations with their diesel trucks and camper trailers in tow - many of them with propane tanks in the back with feed lines running to the engine. Now, I can't find any of them anywhere.

Ask yourself what people are doing today. Nitrous and straight water injection are the popular choices, and what you'll see on a majority of trucks running any kind of "drugs" on their engines.

Propane is no longer popular or even recommended by most people and vendors. There's a reason why.

Quote:
In fact, most people have run their system for years and use it everyday. As long as you don't have to use a ton of propane, you will save $$ and the modest power gains of around 60-80 rwhp is a bonus.
60-80 rwhp gain means you're running twice as much propane as what most consider "safe". Personally, I don't recommend any amount of propane. However, those that do generally recommend a max 40 rwhp gain - or less.

Quote:
Yes, most people who think a little is good, more will be better, don't understand the idea behind propane fumigation in diesel engines. They throw everything but the kitchen sink at their engines, stacked boxes, injectors, nitrous, then try to make big power with propane. Radical tuning has caused its share of windowed blocks as well. You would get the idea from reading some of these posts that propane is the only bad thing you could do to your truck.
Can you blow up your engine with chips and programmers, injectors, etc? Yes. However, your chances of losing an engine running propane are significantly higher than any other single mod you can add on your truck. The reason why is there is nothing you can do to eliminate the cylinder pressure spike when running propane. You can try to control it, you can try to reduce it, but you can never get rid of it. Fuel in the cylinder is going to ignite, and propane is introduced at the same time as the air. It's going to burn, and you can't control when it decides to ignite.

Aftermarket injectors - can be precisely controlled as to when fuel is injected, and thus when the fuel ignites.
Chips/programmers - can control when fuel is injected, and thus when it ignites.
Nitrous - is NOT a fuel.
Water - is NOT a fuel.
Propane - is a fuel, cannot be controlled as to when it is injected, and thus cannot be controlled as to when it ignites. The ONLY thing you have control of is quantity.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM

There are many manufacturer's still making and selling propane systems. They are appearing on large trucks and fleets, do some research and I think you will find the original manufacturers are still around and still offering their systems. Those that didn't work or did damage, have gone by the wayside as they should. They gave the technology a bad name, as did home made systems that would work as you suggest, uncontrollably.

There are many more options for power now than there was a few years back, and the vendors probably make a ton more $$ on a turbo and injectors than they do on a chip or propane system, so maybe they "push"other items. It does not equate to the death sentence you have handed down.

I would try to explain about exactly how propane fumigation is intended to work, but if are stuck on the notion that it ignites first, raises cylinder pressures, etc, etc, the talking points, we have all heard, then no equation or facts or figures , or chemical properties, would convince you otherwise. Propane can NOT ignite on it's own as long as it is below it's LEL (lower explosive limit), now as I said previously, with a rogue system with no control, you could get enough to the point of detonation, it still needs the diesel event to take place first.

Water/methanol systems are the same, no one knows just how much meth to inject or when. Same problem for folks when they add too much. Same as homemade propane systems. Blanket statements do not serve to answer the question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode