Cams???????? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by D_B, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1152 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
D_B

Cams????????

What is everyone running as far as cams?

I am looking for some cooler EGT's and some more lowend. As of right now I'm running Mach 4's, a Smarty/Juice stack and a HT 64/14 along with the general intake and exhaust mods. I know to go with a bolt on gear and I don't want anything agressive enough to change out the valve train. Just looking for a good streetable/towable cam to top off this slow old Dodge.

Thanks
DB

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB, Intense Blue, 5spd,
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 PM

DonM's Helix cams seem to be very popular. :Thumbup:

-Charley, 1995 Nissan hardbody, single cab,2.4 i-4, 5spd, straight piped - 4.5in tip, 2x Rockford Fosgate R1's

Quote:
"I Caught that diesel thing, now it stings when I pee"
The Diesel Garage.com
Can You Keep Up??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Cummins Man

From what I have heard the F1 cams are top notch. I know piers regrinds cams along with schieds but never heard anything about them.

Andy

04 Duramax
93 Dodge D-250
91 Dodge D-350
84 Dodge D-150
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM

I know you have a 24v, but I just had a Haisley street cam installed and really like it. It helps the responsiveness of the 66 a lot. It helped reduce EGTs anywhere from 100-200*, sometimes more depending on situation. I just got a chance to get on it a little yesterday and noticed a big reduction in smoke at the topend. Don't know about mileage yet, but will the next time I fill up. I think it was worth it, especially for the price. Plus you didn't have to pay extra for the bolt on deal. Now it's time to shoot a little giggle juice at it :evil:
Ryan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 AM

I've heard a lot about Don M's helix cams as well. Personally I wouldn't use anything more aggressive than a helix 2 on the street nor can you, without changing out for fly cut pistons. But I would think a helix 2 cam would do quite well for you. They aren't regrinds they are from blanks, and you can do either press or bolt on end so there are some good options, and it comes with the lobe if you decide to switch to a mechanical lift pump. Thats the route im gonna go when I do a cam down the road.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 AM

I just put a Haisley street puller cam in my truck this weekend. I cant get over how much i gained out of it. Before my truck with just bark the tires from 1st to 2nd and a little into 3rd. But now it will roast them from 1st to 2nd and on into 3rd and then a little bark in drive. It pulls hard all the way and really made a difference in the low end. It may sound odd but it sure did change the sound of the engine there seems to be a little less engine noise. Patty Haisley told me that they didnt recomend putting a cam in unless you already had the factory one out. the only reason i did it was because the front housing gasket between the block and housing was leaking out. But it turned out to be leaking around the front head bolt. But i am sure glad i put the cam in. If i would have known that it would have done that much good i would have just done the cam alone. I would go with the haisley street puller cam you cant go wrong with it.

How does the Smarty stack with the Juice w/ attitude. I almost bought on but talked myself out of it.

2002 dodge 2500 4x4, ATS stage 5 tranny, ATS billet flexplate, ATS torque commander, ARP headstuds, BHAF, custom S300 64/14 turbo, Big FASS fuel system, Industrial 10 holes, .093 tubes, Edge juice w/ attitude, smarty, Haisley streep puller cam, Hamilton Diesel head and orings, PDR valve springs, ATS exhaust manifold, Gauges, 285/75/16 BFG allterrians, front and rear replacements, and 5" exhaust.

:smoke '95 3500 4x4 dually red

raymac racing engine, big cam, fly cut pistons, 650cc pump, 26* timing, 5x18 EDM injectors, industrial s400
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
D_B
Threadstarter

I know about the Helix cams just thought I see if there was anything else out there. I will most likely got with the Helix 2 when I do the job Don's rep is a good one so I know I'll be getting a good product with him.

DB

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB, Intense Blue, 5spd,
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:10 AM

Personally u couldnt pay me to try another cam. The haisley cam i put in is one bad dude.

2002 dodge 2500 4x4, ATS stage 5 tranny, ATS billet flexplate, ATS torque commander, ARP headstuds, BHAF, custom S300 64/14 turbo, Big FASS fuel system, Industrial 10 holes, .093 tubes, Edge juice w/ attitude, smarty, Haisley streep puller cam, Hamilton Diesel head and orings, PDR valve springs, ATS exhaust manifold, Gauges, 285/75/16 BFG allterrians, front and rear replacements, and 5" exhaust.

:smoke '95 3500 4x4 dually red

raymac racing engine, big cam, fly cut pistons, 650cc pump, 26* timing, 5x18 EDM injectors, industrial s400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode