towing power help. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Onebadtruck, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 890 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

towing power help.

hi all i have A 01 2500 with a Auto & BHAF and thats it. I drive it evey day but i tow my rock crawler jeep to moab alot ( 8 hours way). i live in CO and i was looking at a 5" turbo back, fuel pump and an edeg with juice. i want to be able to tow will ease. I have to drive in the mountains to get to moab. any help would be great? also the truck has 160,000 on it. Any tranny up tips would be great. every thing runs great. just slow towing. 8 hours is alittle long to tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 PM

From my personal exp injectors helped me alot.
I had my truck for two weeks pulled a 3 horse trailer over 2 mountains then decided to start upgrading. The next weekend I installed injector nozzles an intake and a straight pipe. Hooked the horse trailer up and went back over the 2 mountains and it only downshifted out of overdrive 3 times compared to around 100 times before.
Get some gauges if you don't get the ones with the edge and in my personal opinion stay away from the edge nozzles!! From what I have read they are the reason My egts are way higher than they should be. 1600* on the 3rd setting of my quadzilla at WOT. and thats only the stage 2 nozzles.

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadtruck
hi all i have A 01 2500 with a Auto & BHAF and thats it. I drive it evey day but i tow my rock crawler jeep to moab alot ( 8 hours way). i live in CO and i was looking at a 5" turbo back, fuel pump and an edeg with juice. i want to be able to tow will ease. I have to drive in the mountains to get to moab. any help would be great? also the truck has 160,000 on it. Any tranny up tips would be great. every thing runs great. just slow towing. 8 hours is alittle long to tow.

How's your tranny? I'd be beefing that up before you start adding all kinds of power. The dodge Automatics seem to like to die after adding on a slighty amount of power, even a air filter.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:49 AM

Before you start turning it up some gages are recommended - pyroneter, transmission oil temp and fuel pressure. Boost is nice

Have you put on larger tires? If you have it may be as simple as running direct instead of overdrive.

Next is injectors and an exhaust.

Propane and/or water/alcohol injection may substitute for injectors. Big injectors make heat and the W/A cools the exhaust but the W/A may do the job without the injectors, propane works about the same.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keydl
Before you start turning it up some gages are recommended - pyroneter, transmission oil temp and fuel pressure. Boost is nice

Have you put on larger tires? If you have it may be as simple as running direct instead of overdrive.

Next is injectors and an exhaust.

Propane and/or water/alcohol injection may substitute for injectors. Big injectors make heat and the W/A cools the exhaust but the W/A may do the job without the injectors, propane works about the same.

keydl
All are good ideas but I'd be throwing a cheap shift kit in their before anything that could pay it self off too, in a matter of a few tanks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 AM

The temp gage would tell if the trans is not doing well, rolling up hill in overdrive and the temp comes up - there is a clutch slipping. More line pressure helps clutches that are not burnished.

The part that needs cured on the uphill side is probably a small amount of HP, I forgot the down hill side - it slows things down at least as bad as a hp shortage.

That adds 2 things to look at: trans parts to hold the hp and an exhaust brake.

Trans parts - nonleaking servo piston, line pressure spring and high leverage band apply strut. A shift kit has half of the stuff and some have instructions that include why for the changes.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks all for the help. I'm getting a new pump cause i hear that the 24 vlave ones's are really weak and go out alot. As for my tranny it shifts great. no problems at all. i would love to get a shift kit but i don't want it to beak my back every time the truck shifts. any help there would be great. as for gages i want to wait till i get the edge cause i know it come's with alot. Injectors sound like they would be great but which ones should i go with? My wheels are stock i belive. and i only use overdrive on the highway, not around town.

2001, 2500 tow rig.( BHAF with AFE turbo tube, BD AUX pump, 4" turbo back pipe, Super Phat Shaft turbo, Comp Box, SMARTY, Gauges { egt, boost, tranny}, Fully built Tranny, New BD-VP44, 40HP injectors Painted Valve cover) Looking to smoke everyone:

93 YJ Juggy rock crawler ( UNIMOG axles with lockers F/R, Atlas 4 speed T-case full body armor, 14" fox coilovers F/R, 42" Pitbull tires on 20" beadlocks).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Official TDG Doctor

For towing...I'd get a Triple Disc Torque Converter, and a good Valve Body. Get a Juice w/ Attitude, for gauges and adjustable power.

Nathaniel

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 PM

You need to get a F/P gauge it will tell you what shape your lift pump is in. Gauges before modding and you will be much happier, less likely to hurt anything. Like they all said the trans needs to be addressed. V/b at a minimum.

'01 xcab 4x4,Suncoast by Mike L. Goerend triple, edge III, AFE stage II, HTT 62/12, FASS, and other stuff
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

what Valve body then?

2001, 2500 tow rig.( BHAF with AFE turbo tube, BD AUX pump, 4" turbo back pipe, Super Phat Shaft turbo, Comp Box, SMARTY, Gauges { egt, boost, tranny}, Fully built Tranny, New BD-VP44, 40HP injectors Painted Valve cover) Looking to smoke everyone:

93 YJ Juggy rock crawler ( UNIMOG axles with lockers F/R, Atlas 4 speed T-case full body armor, 14" fox coilovers F/R, 42" Pitbull tires on 20" beadlocks).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode