What Chip? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 01CUMMINS24, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 739 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
01CUMMINS24

What Chip?

I Just Got An 01 5 Speed Dodge Cummins For A Work Truck Im Gunna Be Pullin Alot Of Trailers And I Want A Little Bit More Power. I Was Just Wondering What Chip Would Be Best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Official TDG Doctor

GAUGES GAUGES GAUGES!!! Start with that first! The best box for your truck in my opinion would be an Edge Juice w/ Attitude. This is a 120hp box, and it has gauges included, but they are electric....some people like them, others like the mechanical gauges (i like mechanical). If you want mechanical gauges I'd go with an Edge Comp (thats what I and several others have). Both of them are adjustable on the fly, and have 5 power levels w/ 5 fuel levels, so a total of 25 possible levels. Your going to want something you can turn up to have fun/daily drive, but turn down to tow so you dont tear something up or have to re-program the ECM prior to towing. I would also look into air flow, air intake (the BHAF is great and cheap) and then 4" or 5" exhaust. This will help keep your EGTs down when towing.

Nathaniel

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM

I have the Edge comp and love it My dad has the Edge with Att. and it is great Go with the edge with att. you wont be disappointed.....IMO
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 PM

You could also look into the new quad box. They say its capable of 180rwhp/420ft.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 PM

I don't know if the quad box is a good suggestion yet. There really aren't many reviews of it yet and the beta testers are still experiencing issues. If your just looking for a little more power without having to worry about exhaust temperatures or transmission problems, you may look at a timing box like the Edge Ez or the Quad XZT, both are 65hp boxes. If you want a box to grow into i would suggest the edge juice/attitude. It has many safety features that watch your guages when your not.

I didn't say this, but the superchips programmer is also an option, all be it not popular, it still adds power.

Also, don't be lured into banks. They don't make what they advertise, they are a huge public relations company and chances are that you will not enjoy their product.

Oh yea, i almost forgot.... You can also get a set of RV275 injectors for pretty cheap, they are rumored to help your mileage too......
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 AM

dont do banks i did and it was a expensive mistake
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Whoa!

Hang on a second...

1. Gauges are very important to keep you from burning down your truck. (Fuel pressure, pyrometer, Boost)
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...icol_gages.htm

2. Fuel system upgrades... At least a Vulcan Big Line Kit... This will keep the vP44 happy and from going south on you!
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...n_big_line.htm

3. Upgrade your intake and exhaust to make it breathe better... (Helps keep the EGT temp down).
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2.../bhaf/bhaf.htm

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...aight_pipe.htm

4. Now add your fuel... Now you covered all the weak spots and shouldn't have any problems...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2.../edge_comp.htm

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode