Vp44 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hemichallenger, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 2357 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Vp44

Anyone out there running the Scheid VP44, I think it's called a lightning VP44? Just curious what's the experience with fuel mileage, driving manners, longevity, etc. Thanks.

-Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Let me move you over to the performance forums. So you can get better coverage...:

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 PM

I haven't run one on my truck, but a friend of mine had one on his old 01. It was a solid pump, it came on the truck when he bought it, and had about 15k on it at that point, he sold the truck 50k later and it was still going strong without a glitch. A couple of things, the truck idled a little rough which I'm going to attribute to the pump because I have lots of friends with trucks that have similar size injectors (150hp) and don't get the rough idle. Also he didn't have anything like a cam in there, and its a pretty common change. Personally I really liked the sound of the rough idle but thats just me. It wasn't so lopey you though it would die, just had a little character to it. If you have a box, you won't gain nearly as much from it with the HR pump on there. With that set up the truck only dynoed about 30hp difference between stages 1 and 5 and also only ran .3 seconds slower on the 1/4 on stage 1 than it would on stage 5. For some people this isn't really a problem. However, if you're trying to tow with it, it kind of sucks. Its pretty much like you aren't able to turn your box off, and it will always run hot. Also, it makes it smoke a lot even with the box turned off, so you can't turn your box off or down and make the smoke go away. If you're shooting for high hp, and not going to be using the truck for towing, then I would say sure go for it. But IMO it kind of sucks driving a truck that always runs hot and smokey. I personally like being able to turn my box down and not worry about my EGT's breaking 1000*, you won't get that out of a hot rod pump. Hope this helps, a little.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

So since I'm still working my truck any recommendations on replacement VPs? Also curious if there's other upgrades in the area of fuel flow besides replacing the LP?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM

not long ago i installed a replacement vp44 from blue chip diesel. i have an HO so it is different then the SO. the truck runs smoother and i do think the pump gave a small amount of power even though it was a replacement. i also installed an Airdog fuel system, it is a pump and filter setup similar to the fass system, however it comes with 1/2 inch fuel line to go from tank directly in to the vp44. it bypasses the entire oem fuel system execpt for the suction tube in the tank. i think that is enough flow for a good amount of mods. i have heard that the fass only comes with 3/8 line, and other pumps use the oem lines which is only about 5/16. my fuel pressure holds at 15 psi at idle and at WOT.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

did you get a reman unit from them or one of there high performance units? curious because from their site i got the impression their pump wouldn't replace a HO pump. understand the 1/2 in fuel lines trying to find a kit for that to replace the 3/8 that's on there now. i noticed you've got the rv275's, curious what differences you noticed after the install? thanks for the input.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemichallenger
So since I'm still working my truck any recommendations on replacement VPs? Also curious if there's other upgrades in the area of fuel flow besides replacing the LP?

I just did my VP44 recently too and i also got my pump from bluechip. I Have the so engine not the Ho so I was able to buy BlueChip's Special X VP44. It runs awsome. Nice and smooth like the factory VP44. This pump is only about another $300 more from bluechip's factory replacement. The only difference between his regular pump and the Special X, is that the timing is advanced a little internally, more power off the line, 25 HP to the rear wheels over stock, and if you like that 24V sound, its got a little more of a crackle sound. It sounds more mean. I am very happy with it. It sounds really snappy and the factory tranny doesn't mind it at all. I tell you if you just have a stock truck and tranny, when that TC locks up boy, put your foot in it a little and you can feel the power. I would highly recomend the Special X VP44 by Blue Chip. check out the site bluechipdiesel.com :dodge
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 PM

my vp is a reman. unit. he does not sell a hp pump that works on the HO. i wished that his special x would work cause i would have bought one. i installed the rv 275s after having a quadzilla xzt+ on it. IMO the rvs are a great compliment to the module. you can really feel the difference. i liked the power from the module before but now its much better. on stock mode you can still feel the injectors abit. i would recommend them for towing and/or just for more fun! on high mode it black smokes just enough under low boost, its not excessive but enough to look cool. its alot more fun to drive. however, the injectors where the line between not slipping and slipping the stock clutch. it slips alot on high. the highest EGTs i saw were 1299. i am going to upload the small injector program into the module after the new clutch is in.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I just did my VP44 recently too and i also got my pump from bluechip. I Have the so engine not the Ho so I was able to buy BlueChip's Special X VP44. It runs awsome. Nice and smooth like the factory VP44. This pump is only about another $300 more from bluechip's factory replacement. The only difference between his regular pump and the Special X, is that the timing is advanced a little internally
If it is true that the Special X has the internal timing advanced, that would mean that it is somewhat like a stock vp from a HO, I read in a thread somwhere that the only difference in the so and ho pump was the internal timing and the size of the plungers in the pump.

How much timing difference?

How come everyone tells me that the HO pump I just bought (also in the dodge parts section, for sale) will not work and that if I did install it, it would throw a timing code that I would not be able to clear and run like crap?

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 PM

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I would imagine it is because the electronics on the HO are a little different and don't talk to the ECM quite right, and that is what will throw your code. Bluechip's pump is probably set up to tell the ecm that everything is working right. I know that they replace the electronics on them anyways. You also don't want to install an HO pump on your truck because the plungers are .5mm small than the SO pump. It will flow less fuel.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode