Blowoff valves - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Onebadtruck, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1179 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Blowoff valves

I know on cars ( mustang's, camaro's) that have turbos on them run BOV's Y don't we? I know all about compressor surge and that it's good to have a bov on a car. But what about on a diesel truck. Hell cars most of the time only make 12-16 psi (talking street NOT the Strip) where we make 35-45 psi. So y don't we run them?:shrug:

2001, 2500 tow rig.( BHAF with AFE turbo tube, BD AUX pump, 4" turbo back pipe, Super Phat Shaft turbo, Comp Box, SMARTY, Gauges { egt, boost, tranny}, Fully built Tranny, New BD-VP44, 40HP injectors Painted Valve cover) Looking to smoke everyone:

93 YJ Juggy rock crawler ( UNIMOG axles with lockers F/R, Atlas 4 speed T-case full body armor, 14" fox coilovers F/R, 42" Pitbull tires on 20" beadlocks).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
There is a few people producing them for diesel too...
http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product....boGuard&tt=ram

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 PM

I'm not really sure why they aren't more common :shrug: They are good to have but BD is about the only one who makes one and they are a little spendy
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual K20s
I'm not really sure why they aren't more common :shrug: They are good to have but BD is about the only one who makes one and they are a little spendy

They are not on diesel engines because diesel is not a throttle operated engine, another words no throttle body. a diesel engine meters fuel, while a gas engine meters air. Gas engines need the blow off valve to get rid of the exrta pressure between the turbo and the valvebody when it closes. Thats why there is no need for one on a diesel.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdude2001
They are not on diesel engines because diesel is not a throttle operated engine, another words no throttle body. a diesel engine meters fuel, while a gas engine meters air. Gas engines need the blow off valve to get rid of the exrta pressure between the turbo and the valvebody when it closes. Thats why there is no need for one on a diesel.
I don't think this is true...

Still in all either way gas or diesel you can get turbo barking. I'm capable of doing it with my stock turbo now with just a Edge Comp. Turbo barking is the rushing of air back out the intake of the turbo when the throttle is dropped quickly. This backwards rush is enough to break turbo shafts at enough boost pressure. At any rate turbo barking is not good for a turbo...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 AM

Does anyone else make them for diesel trucks or will any bov work?

I have been looking for one because some say that the HX40 I just installed have problems snapping shafts and I don't want to buy another turbo.

I just don't want to spend $700 on one when all these ricer guys get them for around $200. However most that I have found are only adjustable up to 20 psi or so.

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man

Still in all either way gas or diesel you can get turbo barking. I'm capable of doing it with my stock turbo now with just a Edge Comp. Turbo barking is the rushing of air back out the intake of the turbo when the throttle is dropped quickly. This backwards rush is enough to break turbo shafts at enough boost pressure. At any rate turbo barking is not good for a turbo...

some one needs to tell this to Ford cause my f-550 does this all the time. :ford
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdude2001

Makes sense to me I believe we have a winner :
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast
Does anyone else make them for diesel trucks or will any bov work?

I have been looking for one because some say that the HX40 I just installed have problems snapping shafts and I don't want to buy another turbo.

I just don't want to spend $700 on one when all these ricer guys get them for around $200. However most that I have found are only adjustable up to 20 psi or so.

I think it would be relatively simple to adapt one to any turboed engine with a little work
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man

I am sure of that, i was just stating that because gas engines have throttle bodies there is all that pressure from the turbo pushing against it and something has to be there to relieve the pressure. The only time i have ever heard of a blowoff valve on a diesel was on a truck that was in proffesional drag racing or tractor pulling from what i have seen from videos and read articals. Never seen one in person on a diesel. I know when my cousin had his Eclips 4cyl 5spd. he had an aftermaerket blowoff valve that replaced the factory one, and i know he liked taking it up newengland dragway. Other than that i don't know what types of requirements they are needed on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode