Problems? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Scrappy, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1196 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Mafia member 46

Problems?

I have a couple of concerns,

1- My TAD B1-04 has had a leak since new coming from the joint between the bearing cartidge and the exhaust housing. it is not oil, the engine is using no oil. While my dad was out for Christmas he looked at it and said that it might be "slobbering" which I understand is the same thing as "wet stacking"( unburned fuel going into the exhaust) but there is nothing coming out the other end of the exhaust. I talked to someone @ TAD and they said that as long as the turbo is producing boost there is nothing wrong with it.

2- When I dynoed in August, the truck acted real bad, it would pull hard to 2K and then just flatline and miss. It would not go over 400 even trying different settings.(turning the TST down/up). I think the air filter was part of my problem in august but I just put an Amsoil EA 4510 in it and it still has the miss. I also was running a holley blue as a pusher (the blue was on it when it turned the #'s in my sig) that just got replaced with a GDP 392 kit and the problem is less but still there.

I now have 53K. on the truck, it has been turned up with the TST since 12K. The turbo went on @ 24K (2yrs. ago) and the Va has been on for a year.
The only change between Feb and Aug. was an airfilter (a BHAF). It also has started getting injector rattle under acceleration (REALLY bad when cold!)and overall it runs rougher. Could my injector tips be worn? I still am on the factory 10 micron filters that I change @ 8k. would worn injectors cause all this? Also would this cause #1 above?

I am thinking the injectors are worn from the insufficient stock fuel filtration causing poor atomization and causing the rail to drain. Am I close?

I am going to dyno it this weekend @ suncoast to see if the pump and airfilter help my #'s. I am working on getting the money together for a set of F1 Flux injectors and finally have another vehicle to drive so the truck can sit for a while.

Current: '07.5 2500 QC/SB ETJ/68RFE, 4x4, Fabtech 6" lift, KMC XD "Diesel" 20x10 wheels, Pro Comp X all terrain 37x13.5R20 tires, BDog P Pup AFE, MegacannonII, H&S Gen 1 DPF Delete, EGR unplugged. Dynoed 361hp/677tq 20090220
SOLD!'03.5 3500 SRW QC Dynoed 2/11/06 457hp/1002tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Wink

I'm assuming that you still have a stock cp3??? You may be headed in the right direction with the injectors being wore but I lean more towards you having a weak cp3. It only takes 3 things to make a diesel run. Air, Compression, and Fuel. Therefore, under any "miss" at least one of those elements are missing. If I were you before I made any comitment to a new set of injectors I would check my rail pressure at idle and under full load. If your rail pressure if low the CP3 is shot, which most likely means your injectors have been starved also. The cp3 is lubricated by fuel and will endure wear anytime fuel pressure drops real low. Just check it first or your new injectors will fall to the same fate.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Mafia member 46
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lckdcckdrdy2rck
I'm assuming that you still have a stock cp3??? You may be headed in the right direction with the injectors being wore but I lean more towards you having a weak cp3. It only takes 3 things to make a diesel run. Air, Compression, and Fuel. Therefore, under any "miss" at least one of those elements are missing. If I were you before I made any comitment to a new set of injectors I would check my rail pressure at idle and under full load. If your rail pressure if low the CP3 is shot, which most likely means your injectors have been starved also. The cp3 is lubricated by fuel and will endure wear anytime fuel pressure drops real low. Just check it first or your new injectors will fall to the same fate.
My CP3 was stock, since I did the injectors I have also done Relentless's CP3 mods ( to get me by until I can afford a Floorit stg 2). I have hooked up a way to monitor the rail pressure and it is good (as good as it can be with bigger injectors anyways!) I also added an MP8 in place of the Va and I can keep the RP up as long as I keep the TST on the lower settings. After the pump mods, turning the LP pressure up, injectors, and Mp-8 is doesn't seem to be missing like it was. It still does rattle when it is cold but not as bad.

Current: '07.5 2500 QC/SB ETJ/68RFE, 4x4, Fabtech 6" lift, KMC XD "Diesel" 20x10 wheels, Pro Comp X all terrain 37x13.5R20 tires, BDog P Pup AFE, MegacannonII, H&S Gen 1 DPF Delete, EGR unplugged. Dynoed 361hp/677tq 20090220
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Have you checked or adjusted the valves lately? Bad injectors wouldn't cause a rattle on your paticular truck. Even with the mods to your pump it could still have some wear also causing a rattle. Other than that I would just check the motor mounts and various parts like that, that tend to loosen up over time. But, I would start with a valve adjustment.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Mafia member 46
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lckdcckdrdy2rck
Have you checked or adjusted the valves lately? Bad injectors wouldn't cause a rattle on your paticular truck. Even with the mods to your pump it could still have some wear also causing a rattle. Other than that I would just check the motor mounts and various parts like that, that tend to loosen up over time. But, I would start with a valve adjustment.
yup, I have done the valves, I did them when I did the injectors.
it only rattles when I lift off the throttle after gettin' on it with the truck cold, I think it is high rail pressure at that point (it sounds exactly the same as it does with the FCA disconnected).

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Crew Chief

You mentioned fluid (oil or fuel) leakage out of the 'charger and possible injector issues... you did check whether you were making any oil?

3 Nails Garage
Sleeps 3 Rams, 1 G8 & a Goat
GUN-HAPPY Crew Chief
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Mafia member 46
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8R
You mentioned fluid (oil or fuel) leakage out of the 'charger and possible injector issues... you did check whether you were making any oil?
yes I did and I am not gaining OR losing any oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode