700hp Fummins - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by MrStroker, this thread has received 38 replies and been viewed 6413 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

700hp Fummins

Hello all, i'm a newly registered user, i have an 02 F-350, 7.3. I was originally planning on building up my 7.3, shooting for 500hp. Ive seen more and more people at this level, or even less who have broken things such as pistons, blocks, cranks, several windowed blocks due to windowing them, and the HEUI system just plain sucks for making power easily. Im pretty much set on swapping that out in favor of a Commonrail 5.9. I am looking for the strongest streetable truck i can get. Smoke doesnt matter to me much ,as in trying to prevent it, i love smoke. :Thumbup: I read around a little bit and most people are saying 650-700 is all that you want for the street or it's just too much for 2wd driving. I would like to shoot for that on this. I haven't bought anything as of yet, but im going to wait this summer/fall and see if any new conversion products will come out and make the swap easier. Aside from the parts i will need to adapt this in, i would like for you all to recommend the parts i will need on the engine itself to make 700hp, on fuel. No nitrous as of now.

Here's what i have in mind, if you have something else in mind, please by all means recommend it, how it's different, why i would need it, and possible cost.

Head studs
Injectors
(is o-ringing heads needed at this level?)
dual fuelers/modded CP3
compound turbos are a must, remember they cant be too large, have to fit inside the Ford framerails. Im thinking PS62 on top of a K31?
tuning software
Fuel delivery system from tank to engine (mechanical belt drive or electric)

I'm going to be using a Spearco 6.0 PS intercooler, and a BTS tranny that will hold the power. But as of now, things are just in the planning stages. I need to save, so i can pay to play. Remember i am looking for relaibility here, that's why im getting the 5.9, so i can do it once, and do it right. I am a highly knowledgable 7.3 guy, i know them inside and out, just like some of you know the 5.9 inside and out, i just need a push start on this.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Sell the ford buy a dodge I know it's hard to swallow but in the long run you'll be happier and save some cash.....Alot!!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That's the kinda reply that's not going to help. If i wanted a Dodge, by all means i would have one. I dont though, i dont like the dodge. Thats why i got a Ford, and now im stuck with the Powerstroke. See im a Cummins guy and a Ford guy and im going to make the best of both worlds here. Anyone else with useful info, :thanks:
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 AM

Yes on the studs, O-rings, and probly get a .020 over HG, probly go with dual CP3's, DDP makes some good quality injectors. Turbos, you could go with the stock Hx35 and put a Hx40 compressor on it (High Tech Turbo makes a kit) and a larger exhaust housing, then put a HT3B, S400, or somethin thereabouts under it. Smarty is probly the best tuner. But first, you definitely need gauges if you didn't know that already. Get a 4" or 5" turbo back exhaust. I'd think that a BHAF would work for this, but if not there's other options. Or you could run twin BHAF's. That's just some ideas :Thumbup:
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

maybe i should say, i dont have a stock truck, several thousands invested in it. Its got everything i need to drop one of these in, as far as the supporting mods. exhaust, intake,gauges, tranny, IC all are taken care of. :
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:38 AM

Well the first thing you need to do is find a wrecked truck buy it and use everthing to get it going I don't think any of your dash guages would work but maybe! It would be the best way to go then add the things on your list. Go with a smarty stacked with a MP-8 and a fass fuel pump. That should make you smile and stunn alot of trucks seeing a ford go by at mach 12 is rare!! Have fun to bad it's not a 6.0 your ripping out now that engine is junk the 7.3 was an still is a awsome engine just doesn't have the power potential of the cummins! I had a fleet of them and besides injectors and cam sensors they were pretty good! then we bought new 6.0 trucks and the fleet was always half down! with 50 trucks that's alot!!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That may be your opinion.. My personal truck is a 7.3, because that's what i could afford when i bought it when i was still 15. if i had the $$ i woulda bought a 6.0, and then i probably wouldnt feel the need to do this conversion, since they will hold 500-550 pretty reliably once you remove the stock turbo and the emisssions stuff, its all in the factory tuning which gives the 6.0 a bad rap. We have three of them for the business and i'd much rather drive one of them!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM

I don't think the common rails come with an hx, I think they are hy's......

Also quit being cheap guys.....Give a solid power build

Suds and O-rings, I'd stick with stock thickness HG
Dual CP3's are a good idea
A PS62 on top of a K31 would be a great setup. The CR's seem to spool larger turbos well, so don't be afraid to go big
Either fuel supply system should work, a mechanical pump will move some serious fuel, but an electric system like a FASS or aeromotive would be fine, and maybe keep the engine compartment cleaner with the filters under the bed
DDP makes awesome injector tips, the best IMO, but others also make decent ones
You might want a modded rail
Cummins have bad air flow through the cylinder head. The CR's are better than others but a port and polish goes a long ways.....and with that a new intake manifold
A cam would be nice
Smarty is a great programmer for the CR, an MP-8 is also good
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks so much Derek, that's what i like. I was looking up some more stuff last night, and priced a list on PDR. Also picked up the idea of head porting, a cam, and valve springs, and Fluidampr.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

b4 I bought my new 6.4 i had a 7.3 crankin 580 rwhp. it was a daily driver and very reliable..but like a idiot i traded it for a 6.4 but my motor already had the forged rods and pistons so i could go crazy with it and have little worry. But i def agree with you on the cummins swap i dont really care for dodge trucks but i love the motor! Cant wait to hear more!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode