Injector question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DodgeNbullets, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 945 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Injector question

I have 127k miles on a '06 Laramie 5.9L 24v diesel. I have had to replace 2 injectors already in the past 6 months. I just got another code P2149. My injectors starting cratering at 98k miles. Is this normal?

The first injector, #4, failed electrically with a similar code. The second injector #1 failed mechanically and leaked fuel into the oil thus taking out the turbo. This was an expensive repair. It failed giving low fuel delivery codes not fuel injector electrical codes. Watch out for this type of failure.

Since I am spending a lot of money and suffering a lot of down time dropping one injector at a time, I want to do what makes sense to get myself out of this cycle.

Should I continue to replace the injectors with stock parts are should I upgrade the injectors to get something more robust that will have a better lifespan? If so, which injectors do you recommend?

My fuel system is still stock. I have a Banks 6 gun PDA, but it is not installed at present due to some diagnostics that I was doing. I have a Banks Ram Air and 5" exhaust.

I am also looking into a better fuel system filter. I have a 45gal tank mounted in my toolbox gravity feeding my fill neck through a shut-off valve and hoses. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 PM

it's not real common for stock injectors to fail but, it does happen. One of the main reasons would be dirty fuel. It's also possible your PDA is causing it.

Filtering the diesel fuel is one of the top priorities and should be taking very seriously. You'll want to make sure you're buying fuel from a place that uses a lot of it and you can install filter remote filters. here's one place to get kits from or if you have a local truck shop, you can design your own.

As long as you're under warranty, you might as well take advantage of it, if you have too. There really isn't a better injector as any other injector would only have a different tip.... the body would be the same.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-001
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

My warranty expired last year. I have 129K on it now. The fuel station is a local Valero that sells a lot of diesel since they are the only station within several miles that has it. I have never received a water detection light. I change the filter every 15k miles and I drain the jar periodically just for good measure. I also run a "Slick Diesel" additive often.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I have had a few good responses regarding failed injectors due to debris or water contamination from http://www.cumminsforum.com/. I am looking into a better fuel filtration and f/w system. Anybody know anything about stainless steel body fuel injectors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode