What is the best setup for the new LBZ, Towing Chip/exhaust - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by XR680R, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 11083 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

What is the best setup for the new LBZ, Towing Chip/exhaust

I am new to the Diesel thing and would like to get up to speed as fast as possible.

I am getting a 2006 Duramax LBZ GMC and would like to change the exhaust right away. I will be towing a Toy Box of about 8,000 pounds (Not much for a diesel) and would like to know; what are the good and bad of 4" vrs 5" exhaust? Is there a down side to having 5" from Turbo back? I see most have 4" down tubes is there a reason that someone wouldn't want to have bigger down tube. I setup Baja Race Bikes and going to big on the exhaust you loose your low end but, gain power in the higher rpm's. Does this hold true with diesels?

I will want the best power programer to adjust the speedo and increese power/fuel milage. I have a 2004 lifted silverodo with a 5.3l, JBA headers, Mac 4" exhaust, cold air induction, and the diablo preditor tuner but, It is not the same as diesel so I need to get the best info it get this right the first time.

I went with the Duramax because my friend got a 2005 Chevy Duramax and it is a nice truck.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 PM

gotta have a cat, it will through a low egr code if you pipe it, unless you wanna get a blocker plate and a fingers stick. You dont need a intake the stocker is very sufficient and i use the PPE Xcellerator and like it alot.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 06:31 PM

XR680R,

Get either the MBRP or AFE cat back exhaust system, the AFE Stagei II intake with Pro Guard 7 filter and the Bully Dog Programmer. We sell this combo all the time and it's excellent and changes the performance of the truck immensley. Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help you on them.

Mark @ DPPI
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Duramax LBZ

I have been looking all over this site and the question never gets truely a full answer.

What is the benifit of a 5" over 4"? Better fuel milage? Lower exhaust temp when towing? More Horsepower? In the high rpm? Do you loose torque with a 5"? What are the down side of going 5"? I am seeing a lot of 4" down tubes with straight 5" (no cat, not muffler) some gutted cats. I will save the stock exhaust if I ever need it for the day they start smogging these thrucks.

There is a lot of stuff I am slowly figuring out. fingers stick? WHat codes am I worried about? Low temp? EGR? I need to be schooled and fast, Thank you. I want to buy the right stuff the first time. I will need a tuner that I can go back to the stock tune without the dealer seeing it (Like the preditor). Which one do that? I think I need a code blocker for some code if I go to a high flowing exhaust? I will be putting a 6" lift and 35" tires so I will need the tuner to fix the speedo.

I was looking at this exhaust
http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=952
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:31 PM

im also new to the diesel market and i have done this to my truck and it works very well so far.1 afe cold air intake stage 2. #2 5 inch exhaust and ive noticed the trucks egt cool faster when you let off the throtle than with the four inch exhaust also have NO kitty.#3 bullydog tripledog turned up to 90 #4also have good ole fashioned mechanical guages pryometer and boost guage. i always watch the pryo especially with the truck turned up that high and i pull about 10 to 12 thousand pounds all the time no issues if it starts getting over 1250 to 1300 degrees on the pryo i just let off the throttle a little and keep going.im getting 21.6 mpg with the truck done this way empty cruising at 75_77 mph and the truck only has 6000 miles on it which i expect to get better as the truck breaks in.i do get a egr code from time to time its a p0401 i just clear it with my programmer and keep going.By the way what is kennedys website i would like to buy a fingerstick if i can findit just to eliminate the egr code.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:37 PM

oh yeah my truck is a 3500 chevy 6.6lbz
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 PM

The New Predator is out for the LBZ as well i have a buddy that got one from DPPI while in INDY. All im sayin is its WILD.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:21 AM

Kennedy's website is www.kennedydiesel.com
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDR018
gotta have a cat, it will through a low egr code if you pipe it, unless you wanna get a blocker plate and a fingers stick. You dont need a intake the stocker is very sufficient and i use the PPE Xcellerator and like it alot.

Everyone keeps saying that the truck will throw a code if you straight pipe it?? Wouldn't a check engine light come on if it throws a code? My buddy is runnin no cat on his LBZ with no check engine light or lose of driveability. All seems fine:shrug: I have posted this before and have not recieved an exact answer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 AM

i do get a check engine light code#p0401 which is an egr code with no kitty on my truck
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode