code p0087 low fuel pressure?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by smokin in vt, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 16301 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

code p0087 low fuel pressure??

getting a code p0087 and poo87 pd on my 06 lbz with t dog outlook and banks cat bak exhaust allison tranny truck goes into limp mode fresh fuel and air filter cant read code from outlook only from plug in code reader only get code in extreme mode or performance stock mode and tow mode ok do you guys think ive got a weak fuel pump and if so whats the best aftermarket setup i really dont want to take it to the dealer didnt see this code listed in the code list but code reader says low fuel pressure thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 01:53 PM
BUG JUICER and

what is your estimated HP when this happens?

Does it only happen with tune installed?

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

happens in extreme mode or performance mode under full throttle engine lags then throws code does not seem to do in stock mode power is definitley off right before it throws the code
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 PM
BUG JUICER and

You may be suffering the wrath of the fuel bypass valve. The feeling is like you just ran into a 100 mph headwind. If you logged FRP, it would suddenly drop out from under you. This causes the loss. Then the valve resets itself after the run. The code itself may create a limp home mode. I have experienced the loss, and dethrottled before it tipped the code, good to go. Other times, not so lucky.

There is a shim mod that is very effective. You can even purchase a shim mod kit, maybe PPE?

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

this is exactly what is going on if i let up at just the right time i can maintain powe before it throws the code looks like i be going to try and have the pump shimmed thanks again
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

correction i will hve the relief valve shimmed i am assumig it puts more pressure on the relief valve spring keeping it from opening early thus maintainig more fuel pressure looks like a simple cheap fix at least its a cheap place to start didnt know there was anything cheap in this game lol
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 PM
BUG JUICER and

yes. This one is relatively painless. i even keep the tools for this in a separate kit along with extra washers.

Be careful you do not use the wrong wrench. that bolt is brutally tight. You will need a good wrench (18 mm IIRC) fit, extra leverage, and DONT LET IT SLIP OFF. If you round it over, you will be cursing for weeks.

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 AM

These d maxxes dont have a lift pump in the fuel tank. They ahve a lift pump built into the back of the cp3 pump that has to suck all the way from the tank, not effective. Run a lift pump (like a fass system), extra filter, separates air from the fuel and is a pump all in one.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Mafia member #105

Send a message via AIM to ripmf666 Send a message via Yahoo to ripmf666
The factory cp3 doent have a lift pump built to the back of it, the cp3 pulls fuel fron the tank with vacum,I'm running a stock fprv and not throwing the p0087 best fix for this is a lift pump, I have ran the shim kit and the race valve best fix is a lift pump first, over time the fprv will start to get weak and then would be a good time to do a bottle test and then if it fails or even bottle test it before the lift pump if you are not getting fuel in the bottle its just the rail going dry and the lift pump will fix it.

Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4

EFI Live tuned by IdahoRob,MPI twins installed by BigDipper,PPE lift pump, BigDipper 30% injectors, BigDipper Trans Precion ML converter.PPE Twin Cp3's.

Alot Of thanks To Kat & Pat at duramax diesels, Joe & Dan at PPE,George aka BigDipper
RIP LBZ 6/1/[email protected]:44pm she was strong

She's Alive again

Born on July 27, 2008, 11:59:02 PM

http://www.dieselbuilder.com/Media/P...adoBuild_2.pdf
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks all for input!!!

this is a great site with much knowledge to be gained here through much surfing last night i found this to be a fairly common code with a programmer with a few possible fixes all basically working to im prove fuel flow i am goin to first do a bottle test(great idea wish id though of it) if it passes im going to replace filter element in case i got some bad fuel(just a note on this i believe the new fuel is more prone to slime in storage tanks than the older higher sulphur fuel im in the trucking business and went to a seminar on the new diesel its not the greatest stuff in the world ) so i suppose i could have got some bad fuel regardless i think i will install a lift pump seems to me more pressure couldnt hurt if bottle test fails i will shim fpr valve which i will prob do any way i ncase it gets weak i will let you all know how it pans out again thanks for all the great input!!! you guys rock!!!!!!ks: :smoke :itsdead
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode