chip/tuner for milage gains - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by joeseppy, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 3464 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

chip/tuner for milage gains

hey everyone, i am from the powestroke group but have a buddy which bought a classic 07 duramax and is wanting to get some kind of chip tuner for pure economy nothing else, i have an sct for my ford and it works really well for milage gains , is there anything like it for the duramax?

thanks for the help
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
BUG JUICER and

EFILive is the closest thing to an SCT, but much more capable. It is the ONLY program that allows the user to adjust mpg readings, the primary cause of false mpg improvement reports.

2-3 mpg improvement is possible. I consistently get 22-23 hiway, 70 mph, and I have some drag issues. The real trick is playing with FRP and some real timing advance during no-load cruise, i use up to 16 degrees BTDC.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 AM

I have an 05 gmc. I put a Hypertech max energy on it 4 tanks ago and zero mileage gains. I only used #1 setting but I think this is the economy setting. I am very dissapointed in my tuner. A little more power but who needs more power. I need fuel mileage and would love to see 1 mpg. If I could get 1mpg I would be happy, and 2mpg would be awsum. I wonder if I should change the setting to # 2. and see what happens.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:29 PM

PPE,preadator,hypertech are some that make a good tuner that is more realistic for someone that want mpg only, Most wanting only economical gains only are not going to go to the expense of EFI live for that, when decent gains of up to 3mpg can be made with one of the above tuners, which can be had for around 3 bills.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 AM
BUG JUICER and

Sorry, I can't agree. I can make an EFILive tune that gets 12 mpg "improvement".

What you see is not always what you get. The handheld companies change fueling without a corresponding correction to the DIC tables. The average report of mpg benefit is weighted by misinformation provided to the driver, and that is not an accident.

I have used them all. The tuner is made for performance, because performance sells. The economy benefit is mostly a lie by omission. And unfortunately, that sells too. But the tuner company relies on you doing the lying for them, the unsuspecting consumer. That and intake improvements are the 2 most aggregious frauds in this industry.

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee
Sorry, I can't agree. I can make an EFILive tune that gets 12 mpg "improvement".

What you see is not always what you get. The handheld companies change fueling without a corresponding correction to the DIC tables. The average report of mpg benefit is weighted by misinformation provided to the driver, and that is not an accident.

I have used them all. The tuner is made for performance, because performance sells. The economy benefit is mostly a lie by omission. And unfortunately, that sells too. But the tuner company relies on you doing the lying for them, the unsuspecting consumer. That and intake improvements are the 2 most aggregious frauds in this industry.

I agree that Efi live would be the best scenario over all , but the cost,and the complexity make it less than perfect for the people that want a mpg only tuner. Efi live is a great product, I am not saying it isn't, I was just referring to the common guy that knows nothing of tuning and just wants mpg, it is just not the most practical avenue. Killerbee I wish I had EFI so I could try your mpg tune, as I am sure it is a good tune.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
BUG JUICER and

if I confused, I mean to say that the DIC says I am getting 12 mpg better. That is not the case obviously.

Yes, EFI is not for everyone.

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Nasty Girl

Send a message via MSN to Nasty Girl
I agree with the "Boxed" tuner being targeted for the performance part of things but to the average Joe who puts on 10k miles per year it is a favorable choice. However as Killerbee stated the potential for much better mileage is in using EFI. The guys who put on alot of highway miles, EFI will pay for itself in no time. :Thumbup:

2003/2500HD CREW CAB SILVERADO
Maximized Performance Big Bad Twins, Dual CP3's and 5" dual exhaust with 5"downpipe.
1036 RWHP Dunbar Dyno Approved!
Worlds Most Powerful Duramax
Maximized Performance SoCal Diesel Stuff Ridge Runner Diesel Performance Inglewood Transmission Service DPR
Nasty Shine....1000 proof!
Member #1 of the 1000 RWHP Duramax club on #2 only!
TDG TOTM Winner for March/07 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/TOTM/mar07.htm

Smoked Goat It's Whats For Dinner!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 AM

So, my Hypermax does nothing at all for my fuel mileage? I use my gps so it can't fool my truck at all. I have not noticed any gains at all in mileage. So Killer Bee, it's a total hoax on mileage or just way over rated? I think I was lied to and hope they take it back. It's a 30 day garrantee but in fine print they say to take it back to the dealer, but I don't think he will take it back.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:06 AM

Also, when I adjusted for the 265 75 tires the speedometer was at 65 mph when it was only going 62 mph. according to the gps. This may be why everyone thinks they get better fuel mileage than they really are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode