2006 lbz stock wanting to improve mileage?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by duckgetr, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 16557 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

2006 lbz stock wanting to improve mileage??

2006 2500hd lbz has 45000 miles on it. Everything is stock. wanting to know if I get a new air intake or programmer if that would help mileage. I got more than enough power. I just feel like my turbo lags sometimes and the engine doesn't get enoigh air for the amount of fuel its receiving. (black smoke out tail pipe) I get about 15-16 in town and 17-18 on highway. when im pulling my boat (alluminum boat)though doing 70 mph I drop down to 12. that's where i feel it can realy do better. some of my friends got new intakes and programmers and noticed some difference but I would like to know from a larger population of diesel owners. they also knocked out the cadilatic converters to get rid of the restriction on the other side of the turbo. Is that good?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 PM
BUG JUICER and

Programming. I would leave your intake alone.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Diablosport Predator , 4" exhaust system, and PPE airbox mod should get you a 2 mpg gain.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 PM

mpg

Our tuners guarantee a +1-2 mpg increase but i have heard of people getting more like a 3-4mpg increase... just depends on how you drive. The higher the tune= more efficiently the motor runs... thus better fuel mileage. :Thumbup:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM
BUG JUICER and

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPE-DieselRob
Our tuners guarantee a +1-2 mpg increase but i have heard of people getting more like a 3-4mpg increase... just depends on how you drive. The higher the tune= more efficiently the motor runs... thus better fuel mileage. :Thumbup:
Glad you posted this, gives me a chance to get a reply to a question I always wanted to ask. Most everyone who has been around this vehicle for awhile, knows that most tuners adjust fuel pulse tables for power enhancement. When this is done, the DIC calibration is no longer valid for economy, it will always show a higher (invalid) mpg number than what the customer previously observed, an erroneous reading due to the "choice" of the tuner manufacturer to leave the DIC calibration uncorrected.

Why doesn't PPE correct the DIC to eliminate the illusion of increased economy?

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 PM

mpg

Ill have to get back to you on your question but i was basing what i've said off of customers i've spoken with who have manually tested their fuel economy not off of the DIC...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM

I work for Hypertech and NOT PPE, but I can tell you why your DIC will be off when your program your truck.

Since we alter the fueling quantities and timing with the same tables that the factory uses the PCM knows exactly how much fuel is entering the engine. However since the DIC bases its fuel mileage estimates off of a theoretical model of the factory engine with a factory tune, the tuning changes from programming are not accounted for (even when using the factory tables with our changes). What this means is that the fuel mileage isn't being directly calculated directly from PCM fueling quantities vs. vehicle speed/distance traveled. And since the DIC doesn't base it's numbers on those things the changes to the programming induces errors.

Because our tuning does change the engine fueling at a given TPS/Boost/RPM/etc. that no longer matches the DIC model, thus causing an error between actual and calculated fuel mileage.

So it's not really something that you can account for in the tune.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 PM
BUG JUICER and

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
So it's not really something that you can account for in the tune.

You could, but you don't. I can tune the vehicle, WITH DIC correction.

I don't have any special skills.

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee
I can tune the vehicle, WITH DIC correction.

I don't have any special skills.
I agree. Mine is pretty much dead on :Thumbup:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
truckn'

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sexytrkr
as far as intake i just hacked up the intake box with a sawzal...then added a 4" MBRP exhaust with the muffler turned backwards. I average about 17 on the highway running 70-75mph.

2014 T800W 600hpISX15 18spd yanking a 2003 XL specialized 110HD with the cheater neck.

93 peterbilt 379ex hood. 3046B 18spd (in time out, broken crankshaft)

Lonestar Diesel club #9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode