hypertech vs. Edge - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by brew, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1419 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

hypertech vs. Edge

I just bought a 2004.5 Chevy and would like to add a tuner. I am wondering about the Edge w/Attitude or the Hyperpac. Can anyone help out here and let me know the ups and down on these please. I will be doing some trailer towing with this truck. Also do you need to do more to add these or can you get away with everything else as stock. Also what is the stock exhaust like on these trucks do they need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 12:36 AM

i would definitly get the edge with attitude than that hyperpac- more options and user friendly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
Als do you need to do more to add these or can you get away with everything else as stoke. Also what is the stock exhaust like on these trucks do they need help.
Brew:

2:

The Edge EZ or Juice /Attitude and Predator 2.02 are two of the most popular tuners. Both have settings that work well with towing with a stock transmission.

The primary benefit provided by aftermarket exhaust is reduction of exhaust gas temperature (EGT). The LLY can experience high EGTs under certain conditions, more so with a tuner. Replacement of the stock exhaust system with an after market system will reduce EGTs. MBRP is one of the most popular systems. You may wish to consider adding boost and EGT gauges.

- Steve

2004.5 2500HD CCSB, 4x4, D/A, tow tune, TD-EOC

Goodies occupying space in garage: Corsa full exhaust, Isspro gauges, KB CAI

2006 Tahoe Transport 33WTB; 14,000 lbs.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 07:34 PM

Brew,

The guys are right EDGE is the one to go with. If you have any questions on one or need to get one call us we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks Guys:

Sorry I had to go down to Kansas to pick the truck up so could not get back to you right away. Another Question though is that I drove back from Kansas City to Vancouver B.C with this truck at an average of 70 mph and only got 17.5 mpg. That seems not very good to me , seems I was running empty all the way. I had 2003 Dodge and when I ran that empty I would get 22mpg. So what can I do here to get better then 17.5? Will this Edge help in that department or not?

Bruce
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:33 AM

Hi Brew:

No.

In my experience, the Edge EZ, in level 1, provides improved fuel mileage while towing heavy; 9 mpg without, 11 mpg with. Fuel mileage while empty is unchanged, 16 - 18 mpg.

- Steve

2004.5 2500HD CCSB, 4x4, D/A, tow tune, TD-EOC

Goodies occupying space in garage: Corsa full exhaust, Isspro gauges, KB CAI

2006 Tahoe Transport 33WTB; 14,000 lbs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Last trip I got 12.5 mpg hand-calculated towing (Skyline Drive) with edge EZ on level I. That was a little bt of an increase over previous trips. Speed was 55-65 mph with a lot of 35 mph while on Skyline drive.

Not towing, with Edge EZ disconnected I could get up to 22 mpg pure highway (from DIC) but in reality I was getting 19 mpg hand-calculated. With the edge EZ on level I my DIC milage went down to 19 mpg, hand calculated was 17-18 mpg. Speed is up to 65 mph with a fair amount of traffic thrown in.

So I am loosing a little mpg unloaded with the edge EZ for mostly highway milage (includes start and stop, etc.) The extra power does affect driving style a bit ....

Towing I do see maybe a 1 mpg increase (hand calculated) with the edge EZ as driving style is consistent when towing either with or with out the edge EZ.

I have not tried level II or III on the edge EZ for more than a few miles each, so I have no numbers except to say the DIC was off by more ....

-mark
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode