Banks 6 Gun & Mileage - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by okauto, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 3302 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Banks 6 Gun & Mileage

I've had a Banks 6 Gun and Speedloader for a couple years, and really like it. I usually leave it set at level 3 as I tow a 30 ft. trailer. However, I'm going on a long trip without the trailer and want the best mileage. So, at a freeway speed of 75 on cruise control, what is the best setting for mileage, - 1,2,3,4,5,6 ?

04 GMC SLT D/A LLY 2500HD CC 4x4 265/70R17 Pro Comp AT 10P, 17x8 Pythons, Snugtop Expo, Front Hitch w/portable Warn 9000, Line X, Chrome handles, Air Lift, KYB Shocks, Tekonsha Prodigy, in-channel visors, Weston SS nerfs, Fumoto, Lund Low Pro def., Racor 2 mic. filt.,unplugged, plated & sticked, Dual Red-Top Optimas, High Idle, MBRP T409 SS Ex., Banks 6 Gun & Speedloader, Autometer "A" pillar gauges, KB Nose Shroud-Tranny Shroud-Seal Kit, TD-EOC, 5.3 CAI box w/remote inlet, PCV re-routed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Just returned from a trip to Missoula, MT. We had four adults and luggage. The trip was 950 freeway miles thru the mountains at around 75-80 with winter blend fuel. Temperatures ranged from -10 to 25 with winds up to 40 mph. I left it on level 4 for the entire trip and got 14.8 mpg. From what I see in other posts, this is about what I expected. The truck ran great and out guests commented that it was as comfortable as most sedans to travel in. What a hoot to drive. Next non-towing trip I'll put it on level 6 to see if there is much difference. Banks techs advised me that at freeway speeds and not towing that 6 would yield the best mileage, but without some of the built in protections.

This has been a great conversation with myself.

04 GMC SLT D/A LLY 2500HD CC 4x4 265/70R17 Pro Comp AT 10P, 17x8 Pythons, Snugtop Expo, Front Hitch w/portable Warn 9000, Line X, Chrome handles, Air Lift, KYB Shocks, Tekonsha Prodigy, in-channel visors, Weston SS nerfs, Fumoto, Lund Low Pro def., Racor 2 mic. filt.,unplugged, plated & sticked, Dual Red-Top Optimas, High Idle, MBRP T409 SS Ex., Banks 6 Gun & Speedloader, Autometer "A" pillar gauges, KB Nose Shroud-Tranny Shroud-Seal Kit, TD-EOC, 5.3 CAI box w/remote inlet, PCV re-routed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 AM

14.8 mpg at 75-80 mph sounds fine. Your speed will determine your milage more than anything else - with the DMax, anything over 60mph begins to take a toll with respect to wind resistance - my peak mpg range is 55-60 mph on flat ground, 65 mph on rolling hills (1800-2000 rpms seems to be the most effecient range.)

I find with my edge EZ that running on level 1 I loose about 1 mpg (hand calculated) overall versus having the edge EZ unhooked. Now towing is a different story - with the EZ on level 1 I can get anywhere from 11-13 mpg towing my 5th wheel (again hand calculated). Without the EZ towing I can't get above 12mpg ever - so towing I get some help with the tuner on a mild setting but on the highway unloaded I get a small drop (but I like the extra power ....)

Getting close to 15mpg doing 80mph on Winter blend seems pretty good to me. I bet at 60 - 65mph you would be getting 17 or 18mpg which I feel is very good for a truck this size. I like to talk hand-calculated mpg because the DIC would show me getting 20-24 mpg while on the highway ....

-M
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 PM

I am very disappointed with the Duramax fuel mileage. I owned a 2003 Dodge 2500HD Cummings Diesel before I bought this one and mountain hwy driving with a very heavy foot running empty I would get 20 mpg. Now when I toned it down by about 15 to 20 mph I would get a little over 22 mpg. I think GM has a little more work to do here.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okauto
This has been a great conversation with myself.
Thanks for the info! It is appreciated
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode