New to Diesels - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by deuce, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 875 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

New to Diesels

But not new to performance. First off, I would like to say that I am new to this whole forum type of arrangement. I just bought an 05 LLY/Allison. After the grueling drive from dallas to Phoenix, I decided that I want to add intake/exhaust( texas stock) and perhaps down the line some sort of computer tuning. I guess waht I am wanting to know is some opinions on the best combination for the 2. I will not be towing any loads or anything like that, I just wanted a diesel since my work requires that I travel a bunch. Any ideas would be cool. THanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 AM

Intake isnt really needed. In most applications, the stocker is more that sufficient. Some say an intake helps keep EGTs down, but my opinion is the filtering capabilities outweigh that.

Exhaust? Silverline, MBRP, Magnaflow are all good examples. A good 4 inch exhaust helps lower EGTs and help the turbo spool up quicker.

Tuner/chip? It all depends on what you want to do. Since you want better mileage along with power (as you use it for commuting) I've found from 4 years of reading that the downloader-style tuners can usually give better mileage than the harness-box types. You can go with Predator (excellent mileage tune), Quad, or PPE (what I plan on using). Harness boxes include Edge (which I am currently running) and Vanaaken.

Keep in mind when running more power that you want to keep it under +100HP. The stock Allison wont like it too much if you continuously run more than that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 AM
TDG Junior Mafia #61

I think an intake is less necessary on an LLY. If you plan to run a higher tune. Get silverline, MBRP, magnaflow, like what tom said. For a tuner: PPE economy, quadzilla, Diablosport, van aaken, but I wouldn't reccommend edge.

2001 Chevy SB/CC Duramax LB7

Garrett GT4088R from PPE, PPE Duel fuelers, PPE Tuning, PPE stage 4 transmission w/suncoast 1056 converter, PPE Lift pump, Fabtech tie rods, Black Eagle alloys.
Engine is apart and in the garage
Goal is to have it done by the end of this summer.
TDG Mafia
The Diesel Garage

"Can you keep up??
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

what do you guys think about just doing a boost controller? and how hard is it to install boost gauge and pyro? Is there anywhere I can get instructions? Also, how warm should my tranny be running since it is stock?..i have been doing city driving under no load and it reaches around 200 degrees..my buddy with a powerstroke says that it is pushing meltdown..is this true? if so where can i get a heavy duty cooler and how hard are they to install?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM

deuce,

Make sure you replace your Allison Spin-On filter regularily - I change my every 7K or so (I get them from the Allison dealer at $7.50 each - much cheaper than the chevy dealer.)

A restricted Spin-On filter will result in higher tranny temps ....

200 degrees is not uncommon (but I consider it on the high end) if you are in warm temps (above 90 degrees) and doing a lot of start and stop on a stock truck ....

215 is where I would start to become concerned .... 200 while towing is what a lot of people seem to hit stock.

Mike L. has a very good tranny cooler that a lot of people have purchased .... however ....

.... if your ECT is high also (above 210 on the factory OEM gauge), it will pull up your tranny temps since the tranny fluid goes through your radiator too.

If this is the case, a TD-EOC (aux engine oil cooler) or V2 (aux coolant radiator) may help keep all of this under control.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

when i go to change the filter, is it going to be like doing an oil change where i need to trap the fluid and put it back(i realize i dont trap motor oil when i change it)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 PM

Hi Deuce,

You should maybe get a couple of drops when the filter is removed - it will not drain like the oil would .... you loose the pint or so that is in the existing filter and nothing more. I would do it on a cold tranny though to make sure all the fluid has settled ....

If you add a new pint you will have put back what was taken out/trapped in the filter.

One very important step - remove the magnet from the old filter, clean it and put it on the new one - it looks like a donut .... don't throw it away!

-Mark
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooksvillewildc
One very important step - remove the magnet from the old filter, clean it and put it on the new one - it looks like a donut .... don't throw it away!

-Mark

Amen to that!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode