Banks rumors and myths - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by thetonka, this thread has received 31 replies and been viewed 6414 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Banks rumors and myths

I got into an argument with a buddy of mine who has an '04 chevy with a duramx and the Banks big hoss bundle including the PDA thingy. He keeps claiming he has 500 hp and when I doubt him he says that Banks guaranteed it. Thats just the start. I commented that the K&N filter they put in it is probably not the best for filtering the air and sent him a couple of studies I have read that show the K&N is one of the worst for filtering dirt(I like K&Ns, but not for forced induction engines. I have one on the Wife's Jeep). He says the studies could easily be faked and Banks does far more testing than anyone else.

The email he sent me went on to claim that Banks worked with GM to develop the Duramax. He also says he was told that Banks kits may soon be offered as a package directly from GM.

He is a good friend and I don't want to push the issue too hard with him but in my experience most of the Banks claims are more hot air than truth. Can someone please clear up some of these claims, especially the ones about a factory Banks kit option and Banks developing the Duramax. I have had dealings(emails) with the guy my buddy got his deal from. He is an engineer and after several emails about my truck and what Banks has for it I decided he was just too arrogant and ignorant for me to deal with.

Thanks from a guy who drives one of those other trucks. :thanks: I know this is a general topic but I take it personally when I think my friends are being lied too. :mafia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM

I have seen that Banks offers all three of the majors trucks complete with their systems installed and warrantied by Banks I belive. In other words Banks purchases the vehicle, modifiys with their products and sells it to you. Not the other way around. JMHO...

BTW: If life gives you Limes make Margaritas!!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Well, sounds to me as though your buddy has his mind made up. He has taken the word of someone and although you may be able provide him with a whole bunch of someones until he sees it for himself, he won't believe you. I would suggest he log into some of these forums and do the reading himself.
There are guys on these boards that have tried Banks products and I'm sure they will chime in as well.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcannon
Well, sounds to me as though your buddy has his mind made up. He has taken the word of someone and although you may be able provide him with a whole bunch of someones until he sees it for himself, he won't believe you. I would suggest he log into some of these forums and do the reading himself.
There are guys on these boards that have tried Banks products and I'm sure they will chime in as well.
Thats pretty much the state of it. He is a good guy, and a long time friend. I hate to see my friend misled, especially since there are a few shops down here in SoCal that I KNOW could have got him more power, just as safe and probably saved him money.:
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Where's Tom? He loves Banks...

- Steve

2004.5 2500HD CCSB, 4x4, D/A, tow tune, TD-EOC

Goodies occupying space in garage: Corsa full exhaust, Isspro gauges, KB CAI

2006 Tahoe Transport 33WTB; 14,000 lbs.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Cummins Man

Take his tail to a dyno and show him he does not have 500hp.

Andy

04 Duramax
93 Dodge D-250
91 Dodge D-350
84 Dodge D-150
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonka
I KNOW could have got him more power, just as safe and probably saved him money.:
Exactly.

I don't have personal experience with Banks products, so I can't comment on their quality or performance. I know alot of folks use them and are happy.

You're friend's statements are familiar. IMO, Bank's marketing hype has gone beyond the point of saturation. I don't want to see a full color, eight page advertising spread in both Diesel Power and Diesel World every month, nor do I want to see yet another Banks-biased product evaluation.

I'm not against Banks; considering their special projects they've obviously got alot of talent and capability. But, I believe for the majority of Duramax owners, there are more cost-effective products available that perform as good or better than Banks products.

Just my $0.02.

- Steve

2004.5 2500HD CCSB, 4x4, D/A, tow tune, TD-EOC

Goodies occupying space in garage: Corsa full exhaust, Isspro gauges, KB CAI

2006 Tahoe Transport 33WTB; 14,000 lbs.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

If all their claims were strictly towards the people who want a safe bolt on package to tow with from a big company than fine. But when they start telling people that NOONE can make more power than them, or that THEY are the top diesel performance tuners on the market, or that NOONE makes performance products for the 7.3L powerstroke anymore I stop paying attention.

Yes an engineer at Banks told me these exact things in email, I wish I had kept them. My buddy was told that they always test all their products against the competition on the dyno and out at the Pomona track and they have never found any competitors who have produced more power.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
they will use words such as "safe power" or some other word as an out when compared to SCT, PPE, (insert stronger tuner here).

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Found what I was looking for about the claim of Banks being involved in the development of the Duramax.

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2001-01-2703
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode