Chip or programmer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lbdodge24v, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 4545 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Chip or programmer

I have a buddy with a 05 Chevy D-max. He is looking to put a chip or programmer in it. He is thinking about the edge juice with attitude. Is there anything out there better than this, or just what is yall's opinion on what to put in the truck for best performance. He is not planning on doing anything to the transmission right now so keep in that ball park.

thanks for any info:Thumbup:

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
BUG JUICER and

There seems to be a lot of electrical problems with parasitic programmers. I would advise against Edge, only for reasons of reliability.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
diesel idiot

I agree with KB i havent heard anything good about the Edge programmers.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3
EFILive, SC Trans w/ 1058 by me, Traction bars and centerlink braces built by me, Custom adjustable stock wastegate, 6 inch custom exhaust, 1792 Lift Pump, Belltech 3" drop shackles, Black H2's w/ Falken 285/60/17s for summer, BFG 315/70/17s for winter, SD sleeves, DiPricol EGT and Boost gauges on the pillar along with an Aeroforce for rail PSI and trans temp, 2 Kicker Comp CVT 10's w/ memphis amp, t-rex full face billet grille,limo tint, .Oh yeah I'm 20 and I built and tuned it myself.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM

I used to have the Edge EZ (just plug it in and flip a switch for the power you want.) It worked well for me. I decided to sell it and go with EFILive. I like the ability to create and modify tunes using a laptop to load them into the truck versus the Edge EZ where i had to remove the harness box if visiting my dealer (I still have to reload my stock tune if visiting the dealer now, but that takes 2 minutes versus cutting wire tires and unclipping the harness box.)

I like the ability to modify boost, fuel timing, etc. to build tunes that provide lower EGTs, more power and better fuel economy at the same time. There is a lot of information out there on EFILive.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 AM

what does he plan on doing with the truck? How much power does he want in the long run, i see that he doesnt want to do tranny upgrades now? more than 70-90 extra hp and he will need tranny upgrades. I would recommend ppe xcellerator, diablo predator, or efi live. they are all good. tell him to get a good set of gauges atleast boost and egt. the stock trans temp isnt bad

efi live is the best multi purpose out there it is limitless in possibilities, and there are alot of already made tunes you can get and tech support is out there.

ppe xcellerator is excellent, and you have choices. they make an economy model, standard, hot, and hot +2. i would stay away from the economy because it is not much cheaper than the standard one and does not have same features like code reader and etc.

diablo predator is another great programmer, and is priced very reasonable. offers nice range of settings and offers extra features like code reader, speedo correct and etc.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright thanks for all the great info. The both of us are learning about the duramax stuff. I had no clue which route to go on this one. I knew I had an edge and liked it, and he saw them as a good chip because it came with all the guages and all. But if there is a better chip or programmer out there then I am sure that is what he will go with. I will pass on what I have gotten so far to him. Thanks for all the great info and keep it coming if you have anything to add.

As for what he wants, I think he wants a the extra power when he is playing, but he wants it to smoke some also. His truck is just a daily driver that will probably get built a little along. He wants a chip for now, an intake, he is straight piping it for now, and then in the future possiblly some tranny work and an exhaust system. He is just doing it along, be he blames me for him catching the diesel disease!!!!!

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 AM
diesel idiot

Just tell him to be smarter than I was, and buy EFILive right off the bat. Its endlessly adjustable, and I am a retard for not buying it in the first place. But it will be here tomorrow! Tell him to get it from killerbee, hes extremely knowledgeable, very honest, and he has the best price.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3
EFILive, SC Trans w/ 1058 by me, Traction bars and centerlink braces built by me, Custom adjustable stock wastegate, 6 inch custom exhaust, 1792 Lift Pump, Belltech 3" drop shackles, Black H2's w/ Falken 285/60/17s for summer, BFG 315/70/17s for winter, SD sleeves, DiPricol EGT and Boost gauges on the pillar along with an Aeroforce for rail PSI and trans temp, 2 Kicker Comp CVT 10's w/ memphis amp, t-rex full face billet grille,limo tint, .Oh yeah I'm 20 and I built and tuned it myself.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 12:10 AM

go w/efi live much more custoizeable

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 02:13 AM
diesel idiot

Scratch buying EFI from KillerBee. He has a "support forum" and hasnt answered any of my questions on the forum or in an email in a while. Not only that, but the tune he provided me totally sucked and my truck barely idled with it. If you want it for cheap buy it from him, but if you go with [email protected] or any of those guys they are awesome. I have been enlisting their help as well as other people to get me on track, and they are awesome.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 03:01 AM

PPE or EFI live from trippin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode