Which Programmer/Chip for 02 GMC? Please Help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lindy02GMC, this thread has received 24 replies and been viewed 2146 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Which Programmer/Chip for 02 GMC? Please Help

Brand New to the Diesel Garage Forum and like it thus far.
I have a few questions
Which programmer should I go with? Is the Granatelli Predator Programmer a good choice? How about a Banks 6 gun?

And what about exhaust, any recommendations there? MBRP 4" aluminized any good?

And lastly, what about air intake.

I got an 02 GMC 2500HD and just looking for everyone's suggestions.
Thanks

kyle
:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 AM

Kyle..... what do the truck do? Is it a work truck or a play truck? ....Neverless, what or where would you like to go on power? There are several...er more than that, there are MANY different ways to go. It all depends on how fast ya wann'a get there. Oh yeah, and get back.

....How many miles does it have? What about 4x4 and stuff? :shrug:
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
PBR me ASAP

For tuning I would recommend the Edge Juice with the Attitude monitor. Good power with transmission protection, changeable power levels on the fly, and the monitor provides info like exhaust temp and boost. Check the for sale section for a used one can usually be had for a reasonable price.
MBRP makes good (quality and priced) exhaust. As for the intake the stock air box with a good filter is all you need, but if you really want to get one check out the AFE stage 2 with the Pro Gard 7 filter. Any more questions feel free to ask it's what TDG is here for.

2K1 GMC HD RCLB D/A
EFI LIVE, BANKS MONSTER, CARTER LP, AFE2, SLEEVES, TRACK BARS, 285R60 PROXES ON H2's
MA III, MA Converter, Trans-Tcase brace profesionally installed by http://www.gmdieseltech.com
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it.
I apologize. My truck is 02GMC 2500HD 4x4, crew cab shortbox. Used for both, work and play. Not really drag racing, other than the ricer that pulls up. I pull a 24ft Haulmark enclosed trailer during sled season, and yank Beachcomber Hot Tubs around with it all year round.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM

If you plan on NOT building the transmission.....keep it below 65 extra horse. I'd get an Edge, set it for 40 HP and forget it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If you plan on NOT building the transmission.....keep it below 65 extra horse. I'd get an Edge, set it for 40 HP and forget it.

Make that "not over +100HP" before trans mods are needed. Level 3 or 4 on the Juice is fine. If you don't run WOT in 5th gear, you can take the Juice up to level 5 if you want.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy02GMC
Brand New to the Diesel Garage Forum and like it thus far.
I have a few questions
Which programmer should I go with? Is the Granatelli Predator Programmer a good choice? How about a Banks 6 gun?

And what about exhaust, any recommendations there? MBRP 4" aluminized any good?

And lastly, what about air intake.

I got an 02 GMC 2500HD and just looking for everyone's suggestions.
Thanks

kyle
:shrug:
Id say a Edge juice/attitude or a Predator
MBRP 409 SS, probably just need a catback unless you have a cat, then do the front pipe
stock intake is fine, if you want to change it either an AFE stage2 or a superstock system

Like others said keep it 90hp or less & you will be fine
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:29 AM

65 extra horse is all you'll want or need. Most Allisons are well built but some get parts in a little tilted. An Allison that IS 100% will do fine with about 90HP but one that is "used" and unknown may be better at the 40HP mark. Just remember, if ya trash it.. you're out of work until it gets fixed. A new or "remanned" Alli will set ya back about 4K installed and rebuilding what ya got from SunCoast :Thumbup: will be about the same...but TONS better.

I hate see'n a fella tear up his truck because everyone says it's ok. Most folks don't work their trucks and they do pretty well. Heck, turn up a UPS truck 100 RWHP and see how long the tranny lasts...:
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:47 AM

I think an exhaust and 65hp and you are safe no matter what you throw at it. But I didn't tow a lot before I had my transmission spruced up a bit. Now I tow just to test it
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Great Info Guys, my thanks to all of you for helping the kid wet behind the ears with this diesel stuff. Maybe one last question, but probably not, what things should I be doing to "spruce up" my tranny. That is the next big question. I couldn't sleep last night because I am getting excited with anticipation on beefin up this truck. Look forward to your responses, thanks guys

Lindy02GMC

Lindy02GMC
02 GMC 2500HD CrewCab 4x4
Green Metallic. Some cosmetic upgrades, MBRP 4" exhaust, Edge Juice w/Attitude, 20" Wolverines on 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode